David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/16/19 4:20 p.m.

Is $33,000 a new record for a Rabbit GTI? 

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
9/16/19 5:20 p.m.

Holy Frijoles!

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
9/16/19 5:44 p.m.

I mean it looks clean but with the mileage, repaint, and not showroom stock parts it just seems like a really nice weekend driver/Car show car. 

So yeah I think 33k is crazy money. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
9/16/19 5:47 p.m.

Great !!!  How much am I bid for my low mileage MKII GTI ? I'll accept the first bid over $20K !

Edit: If nothing else, I'll be able to show my wife the BAT price and maybe, she'll leave me alone about my GTI.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
9/16/19 7:49 p.m.

Was thinking 12-15 would be the top for these. Not sure if I am impressed or horrified. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
9/17/19 12:57 a.m.

I might not send my 87 to scrap yard . Another 10years in the barnyard and it will be really really collectable.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/19 6:10 a.m.
Paul_VR6 said:

Was thinking 12-15 would be the top for these. Not sure if I am impressed or horrified. 

Shortly after I bought mine, there was a CL ad for one in worse condition for $2500.  It sold.

Mine has no interior, missing bits of floor, and is not running. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/17/19 7:16 a.m.

I wouldn't read too much into it.  People have been overpaying for things bought at auction probably since the first auction in history, all you need are two bidders who don't want to lose.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/17/19 8:20 a.m.

Hagerty does show a big uptick (before this auction) in #No. 1 cars, though. It'll be interesting to see how the market reacts to this. Will we see an influx of Rabbits being listed now?

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
9/17/19 8:57 a.m.
Knurled. said:
Paul_VR6 said:

Shortly after I bought mine, there was a CL ad for one in worse condition for $2500.  It sold.

Mine has no interior, missing bits of floor, and is not running. 

Sounds about right, decent projects/restorable are getting 2k easily and some combos a little more. 

That all being said there is a *nice* swallowtail on Marketplace under 10k that could be a BAT flip for double...

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
9/17/19 8:59 a.m.

Wow. Nostalgia must hit people hard. 33k is is nearly the price of a new golf R. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MOujwssuRVwCpI0z4V9px9h0zq30v86qCrad7iYCOWuPR2QcJAbKNtgClUkyeusd