volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
1/18/11 2:38 p.m.

After losing the brakes on our beloved Tunachucker Amazon and subsequently crashing headlong into an innocent Honda at the last CMP race, we're at a bit of a crossroads in our LeMons endeavors. We have been tossing about the idea of using a 1979 300D that I bought as a parts car for a new LeMons car. However, one of the biggest stumbling blocks is the lack of a cage. We really lucked out on the Amazon, and found a cheap, used cage that welded right in without much modification, but the Merc is larger than the 122, so we would need to find/make/buy something new.

I have searched from one end of the interwebs to the other, but cannot find anyone who makes roll cages specifically for the w123 body Mercedes. And I am (understandably, I hope) reluctant to purchase a "universal fit" cage. Anyone know of a place to buy a cage for this car, or know anyone in the Greenville, SC area who could fab one up for a LeMons team on a tight budget?

Naturally, we're looking to improve a bit on the 300D's stonking 80 brake horsepower, but that's a topic for another time...

That idiot who can't spell
That idiot who can't spell SuperDork
1/18/11 3:48 p.m.

Can't do much to help you with the roll cage. But this forum has a lot of useful information on tuning the OM617 and the W123 chassis. http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/index.php

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
1/18/11 3:53 p.m.

Jensenman and I built the cage for our last car from scratch. He has a bender. It wasn't too hard, just time consuming. If you can weld in bought cage, bending one is the next step.

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
1/18/11 7:37 p.m.

That's an easy one: S&W Race Cars approached us at PRI. We were surprised since S&W is pretty much a hardcore drag race company. Turns out they do tons of LeMons/Chump Car cages. If you can work a measuring tape and a phone, you can order a cage kit from them.

LeMons Cages

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
1/19/11 6:35 a.m.

Thanks for the tips, especially the link to S&W, I haven't come across them before. Their prices seem very competitive.

I've got half a mind to buy a tubing bender and try this myself...I mean, I've got 8 years of engineer school under my belt, 10 years work experience, and been welding for 14 years. Hmmm...things to think about...

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
1/19/11 7:21 a.m.

Hmm... I'd love to see this... as it would perpetuate evil thoughts I've had about a rusty (and for sale) 450SL that I pass every day on the way to work...

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
1/19/11 8:31 a.m.

find a car with similar dimensions that has a kit available.

i found for my old lumina Z34 that it had very similar interior dimensions to a 2nd gen camaro, and it turned out that the camaro main hoop and the rest of the camaro kit was perfect.

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
1/19/11 8:51 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: Thanks for the tips, especially the link to S&W, I haven't come across them before. Their prices seem very competitive. I've got half a mind to buy a tubing bender and try this myself...I mean, I've got 8 years of engineer school under my belt, 10 years work experience, and been welding for 14 years. Hmmm...things to think about...

Yeah, we were pleasantly surprised by the S&W people --Especially our new friend Jill Canuso.

That idiot who can't spell
That idiot who can't spell SuperDork
1/19/11 9:41 a.m.
Steve Chryssos wrote: That's an easy one: S&W Race Cars approached us at PRI. We were surprised since S&W is pretty much a hardcore drag race company. Turns out they do tons of LeMons/Chump Car cages. If you can work a measuring tape and a phone, you can order a cage kit from them. LeMons Cages

Would those cages work for the Challenge?

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
1/20/11 8:20 a.m.

I too would recommend S&W. They are relatively local so we went and picked up our Lemons cage kit there. Fit great, and is being finish welded as we speak.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
1/20/11 9:33 a.m.

I don't see any reason why a S&W cage wouldn't be legal for the Challenge, as long as it meets all of the NHRA guidelines.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
1/20/11 10:10 a.m.

From what I saw on the s&w site, they use ERW tubing on their Lemons kits, and Lemons very strongly recommends DOM. Something to consider.

That idiot who can't spell
That idiot who can't spell SuperDork
1/20/11 10:11 a.m.
Sonic wrote: From what I saw on the s&w site, they use ERW tubing on their Lemons kits, and Lemons very strongly recommends DOM. Something to consider.

The third cage down uses DOM.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
1/20/11 11:44 a.m.
Steve Chryssos wrote: Yeah, we were pleasantly surprised by the S&W people --Especially our new friend Jill Canuso.

Jill used to come autocross with us in the South Jersey SCCA. Very cool lady and a great driver.

ijSs4rGObeUwV6HoCKzKGNypywXxNFln