_
_ Reader
11/12/18 12:39 p.m.

Plastidipping the Miata. I’m goin with a crazy lime and dark blue theme. I’d like it to look like the car is dark blue, but the whole front end ran into a wall of lime green paint and it soaked everything up to about middle door. So I know I can paint the half and half colors, but where they meet I need to  make it so that the Lyme appears to be dripping back towards the rear of the car and not in a uniform way. 

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you’re our only hope  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/18 12:55 p.m.

Careful masking of an artificial splash pattern. Boring, I know, but it'll work...I don't know any other way to do it with aerosol-applied paint.

_
_ Reader
11/12/18 1:22 p.m.

Outside the box thinking led to me mask a half assed line, spray, and then “flick” paint in the direction I want for a more random pattern.  A cardboard cutout would be a good start to randomness. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/12/18 1:38 p.m.

Strong fan aimed at front of car like those used in Dyno shops, cheap spray bottle with paint or let it drip off something like a cutting board you sprayed heavily onto into the wind.

masterjr33
masterjr33 New Reader
11/12/18 1:44 p.m.

paint fenders and nose green

take off doors.

place them veritically,

paint them that way..

let paint run..

take off hood.   place verticaly and paint it.  let it run naturally. 

( you can remove panels from the car!.  )

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/18 1:49 p.m.
masterjr33 said:

paint fenders and nose green

take off doors.

place them veritically,

paint them that way..

let paint run..

take off hood.   place verticaly and paint it.  let it run naturally. 

( you can remove panels from the car!.  )

I actually thought about using such a technique, but you'd get extra-thick goopy paint where you applied enough to let it run. Especially with plasti-dip, it'll practically build a mound before it runs. If it were brush-on paint, this would work.

_
_ Reader
11/12/18 2:26 p.m.

Both true. Not a bad  idea though. Maybe let it run and then I could use a sponge or paint brush to stroke out the build up. You guys are full of ideas!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
11/12/18 2:54 p.m.

If the Plastidip is thick enough, painting the whole car blue (or at least the entire panels that have the splash effect on them) and then having the "splashies" painted on would really emphasize its splashieness. I'd probably use a stencil on the edges.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
11/12/18 4:52 p.m.

Plastidip doesn't have to be aerosol. Is the color you want available in a liquid that could be 'Jackson Pollack-ed' onto the panels after you spray the bulk of the color?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/12/18 5:35 p.m.

Are we talking ribbons of paint Jackson Pollock style, or speckles like traditional GM trunk paint?  To do speckles, you want the paint to start drying mid-air. If you are using a gun, turn the air up until the desired effete is achieved.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/12/18 5:39 p.m.

You can paint the large areas of the secondary splash color like normal but with a random wavy pattern where it meets the primary color and just splash the wavy edges by spraying the PlastiDip directly into the bristles of a fat paint brush then shake the paint off onto the car where the two colors meet.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/12/18 5:59 p.m.

Thin the plastidip and throw it on via a bucket? Never done plastidip so that may be useless advice

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
11/12/18 6:04 p.m.

You would want to practice this first... but if you can get your splatter color out of the aerosol can and into a shallow saucer or equivalent, then hold it and an air hose with sprayoff nozzle and shoot the air nozzle into the paint and watch it 'splode onto the wall/room/car you are trying to hit. With practice, timing, finesse and some luck it can produce a spectrum of effect. From GM trunk splatter to zombie apocalypse splatter.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/12/18 6:05 p.m.

Any pics of what you are trying to achieve?

Can you dribble the paint down the transition line while  using a leaf blower to flow it towards the back?

Pete

_
_ Reader
11/12/18 8:33 p.m.

My gawd... you people have ingenuity. That leaf blower trick? I’m gonna use that right ther!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/12/18 9:10 p.m.

Nickelodeon has some ideas you may be interested in

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/12/18 10:10 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

_
_ Reader
11/13/18 12:31 a.m.

If only it dried thin... welp. I tried it today. Looks pretty good. I’ll post pics when done. 

daeman
daeman Dork
11/13/18 5:02 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

Holy E36 M3! I used to watch that as a kid, couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called, just remembered a bit of the intro and the slime.... I was almost starting to think it was the Mandela effect at work. THANK YOU!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/13/18 10:35 a.m.

In reply to daeman :

"You can't do that on television"

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
11/13/18 12:20 p.m.

A little late to the party, but this guy did something interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drDvuiia4w8

_
_ Reader
11/13/18 3:55 p.m.

Oh do I ever have a review about dipyourcar.com, a.k.a. DiddleYourChildren.com, aka DudeYouCant.com, aka Don’tYankCats.com... 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/13/18 4:02 p.m.

I'd find a pattern I like, make it digital, get someone to cut it in vinyl and use that as the mask. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nQD4vZdy7f12l1ZKJuaQsKiniw88fKRuBvnL3Qo7dC2qCsE16spYsdcUA1W7ql8G