_
_ Dork
1/18/20 3:45 p.m.

Nc Miata. Is it as easy as I think? Align rear suspension, attempt to get full squat on suspension and then measure? If so, how do I know how much squat I'm generating under full acceleration? Obviously I'm not hitting the bumpstops from a full throttle dig. 

side question: for autocross, do I want zero rear toe under squat? Toe in under dive is good for rear stability on a rear wheel drive. Toe out under squat makes things squirrelly on corner exit. Right? Or do I need to go back to YouTube and learn?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
1/18/20 4:17 p.m.

You should have no change in toe throughout the full range of suspension travel. Rear toe out makes it squirrelly when ever it happens. The only time rear toe out is justified is on an autocross car that refuses to turn in any other way. The way to check it is, after a static alignment, jack it up and remove the springs without disturbing the alignment settings. Then you can operate the suspension to the full range by hand, or with a jack while you measure the bump steer. I bolt a flat aluminum plate to the hub and use a pair of dial indicators on a stand to get very precise measurement. Critical that the chassis be stable on the jack stands. My lack of familiarity with the NC means I don't know if you can change it.

ChasH
ChasH Reader
1/18/20 4:36 p.m.

In addition to the excellent advice from TurnerX19-You can assess full squat under acceleration by placing a tie wrap around the shock absorber shaft close to the body of the shock. After your acceleration runs the tie wrap will show how far the suspension moved.

_
_ Dork
1/18/20 8:25 p.m.
ChasH said:

In addition to the excellent advice from TurnerX19-You can assess full squat under acceleration by placing a tie wrap around the shock absorber shaft close to the body of the shock. After your acceleration runs the tie wrap will show how far the suspension moved.

Ah, yes, I do remember that now. 

_
_ Dork
1/18/20 8:28 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

According to Brian at Goodwin racing, the nc does toe out a tad under squat. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/18/20 10:06 p.m.

Winalign on my hunter does it. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wsSR9GAo7Licc87zhvuSvpJo02LqncoqrVC1RmSCvqBrX6QQcbqpkR2PP0SIBfUs