David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/28/20 8:58 a.m.

Most of us fall into one of two camps: We work on our own cars, or someone else works on our cars. Either way, if people beyond your immediate family are involved, how do you do it safely?

Perhaps others can crib from Eclectic Motorworks, the Michigan restoration shop owned by longtime GRM contributor Carl Heideman.

Read the rest of the story

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/28/20 9:04 a.m.

My guys hate it but in three of the states I operate in mask are mandated and the other it's "suggested". I've pointed out that at this time it's not much different than steel toe shoes; you are unlikely to need them but I mandate them in case you do. Does suck on a hot day for dang sure 

David S. Wallens
5/28/20 9:59 a.m.

In reply to chandler :

Good way of looking at it: It's like another piece of safety gear. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/28/20 10:01 a.m.

Just part of your ppe.

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
5/28/20 10:31 a.m.

Just one thing to look at if using the face coverings while doing any hot work (welding, cutting, grinding, etc.). You will want to find a face covering that is Fire Resistant.  We have found several options and suppliers have been pretty quick to deliver these for our facility.  

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/28/20 11:18 a.m.

Exactly. More PPE. Annoying but safer with it than without it. I wish our management would make our employees wear them since production line positions make it impossible to social distance. Unfortunately, state orders don't require it and our owner doesn't believe in them, so there are only a few people wearing them at all. I hope my fears are unfounded.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/20 11:22 a.m.

I don't wear PPE in the building because we have a large airy 6 bay shop space for 1.5 techs, and it is a no outsiders zone.  I do don a facemask and one-time-use gloves when I have to be inside a car.  (This is not everything we are doing, just the thread relevant bits)

It is SUPER fun when doing an air conditioning test on a road test, and the 40 degree air hits your glasses that you have been directing 98 degree 100% humidity air at every time you breathe out.  Instafog.  I wish my facemasks had an underwire or something.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
5/28/20 12:25 p.m.
carczar_84 said:

Just one thing to look at if using the face coverings while doing any hot work (welding, cutting, grinding, etc.). You will want to find a face covering that is Fire Resistant.  We have found several options and suppliers have been pretty quick to deliver these for our facility.  

If I'm welding, cutting, or grinding, I'm wearing a full respirator.  I'm always amazed that this is not SOP for people.  Honestly I'd rather wear a full respirator than any of the newly-fashionable mask options.  I've been considering going to the grocery store wearing my respirator and welding helmet just for the looks laugh 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
5/28/20 12:52 p.m.
NorseDave said:
carczar_84 said:

If I'm welding, cutting, or grinding, I'm wearing a full respirator.  I'm always amazed that this is not SOP for people.  Honestly I'd rather wear a full respirator than any of the newly-fashionable mask options.  I've been considering going to the grocery store wearing my respirator and welding helmet just for the looks laugh 

I have a buddy that wears his respirator and a clear grinding shield to the grocery store.

Any shop that can keep the bay doors open should for fresh air. And also for any offices, waiting areas etc. just keep the doors open even if it's a little too warm or too cool, the air exchange is worth it IMO.

David S. Wallens
5/28/20 1:05 p.m.

I recently had some tires mounted at our local Discount Tire: masks and gloves on all of the employees, waiting room furniture moved outside, jugs of hand sanitizer on the counters, markings on the floor 6 feet back from the counter, and the door tied open so you didn't have to touch the handle. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/28/20 2:03 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Had our tires replaced at a discount tire in Woodstock ga 2 weeks ago and it was the same. Didn't bother me at all. 

David S. Wallens
5/28/20 2:15 p.m.

In reply to grover :

And a PS: I was at this same shop a week or two before everything blew-up and closed down. They had big jugs of hand sanitizer on the counter even then. 

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
5/28/20 3:41 p.m.

In reply to NorseDave :

For us at least, and most manufacturing facilities, a fitted respirator puts you into a industrial hygiene  respirator program that includes fit test, cleanly shaved, etc.  Just something to think about.

We offer those programs, but so far every welder has refused to shave, so no respirators.  I will say that I think they should be part of the process, and wear one outside of work when I do the work myself.

In reply to NorseDave :

Agree on the respirator for welding. The UK (and possibly EU?) recently recognized the fumes as a carcinogen and they now require some sort of respirator/ventilation setup.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
5/28/20 9:01 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to NorseDave :

Agree on the respirator for welding. The UK (and possibly EU?) recently recognized the fumes as a carcinogen and they now require some sort of respirator/ventilation setup.

I've considered getting a proper fume extractor but they are pricey!  I have a light fixture I made above my welding table and I've thought about just mounting a bathroom exhaust fan up there and run a duct 10' away from the table. It would still dump in the same air space, but I figure the smoke and such 10-15' away from me is better than nothing. 

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
5/28/20 9:03 p.m.
carczar_84 said:

In reply to NorseDave :

For us at least, and most manufacturing facilities, a fitted respirator puts you into a industrial hygiene  respirator program that includes fit test, cleanly shaved, etc.  Just something to think about.

We offer those programs, but so far every welder has refused to shave, so no respirators.  I will say that I think they should be part of the process, and wear one outside of work when I do the work myself.

Fair.  I usually run a winter beard, but never a very serious one (good coverage, just kept short!). I have more issue with getting a proper seal around the bridge of my nose.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/29/20 6:13 a.m.

I've been trying to wear gloves more often when I work, as the mess takes too long to clean off.  

And car people should have been asked about non-fitting mask problems- as the cheap masks I've used in the past have still left crud in my nose.  

+1000 for the tip about flamability of the mask.  Didn't think about that.

But wearing a mask is so much neater than the black snot that comes out when you shower.  Just being clean is happens to be good for Covid protection.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/29/20 6:16 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver (Forum Supporter) :

The thing that sucks is, I normally DO wear gloves when working, but it is just about impossible to find gloves nowadays, so they are being carefully conserved, reserved for when I have to be in a car.   So I'm back to having semi-permanently stained skin like some sort of gas station hack smiley

5/29/20 6:23 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

At one point, I had heard about a hand lotion that acts like a glove.  Have you heard anything about that?  

(On the COVID front- as time goes on, the gloves are becoming less imprtant, especially vs. respitory protection.  Just wash after touching a new surface that you've never encountered.  Which means more sales of lotions to keep your hands from drying out, lol.)

wae (Forum Supporter)
wae (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/29/20 6:59 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver (Forum Supporter) :

And for that problem, you can use your 20% coupon at Harbor Freight to get a tin of Working Hands

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/20 8:21 a.m.

There are a number of different barrier creams for that, we sell the Travabon. It does make cleaning your hands easier but not a good as gloves. 

https://www.debgroup.com/us/products/travabon-classic

5/29/20 9:21 a.m.

In reply to EvanB (Forum Supporter) :

If you can't get gloves, it's better than gloves.... :)

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/29/20 9:27 a.m.

The nice thing about latex gloves is, as long as they are not wet, they don't get other things dirty.  You can wear dirty latex gloves and hold a sheet of paper and not leave marks.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
6/22/20 5:03 p.m.

Really, the plastic face shield that covers  your face would probably work better to protect you than the silly face mask thing

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/22/20 7:34 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

The cloth or surgical face mask is to protect other people, not you. So yes.

In a shop, don't you have N99 respirators already on hand? That's gotta be best in class PPE for covid.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t1LKzaZqYXSkGJqw4QOfQ8Ve17Y3KuzUvDLRUp7qkDj84uZQgmYoEkVo4xTz0kYO