1 2
maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/27/16 8:19 a.m.

Lately I've been noticing the wipers seem to smear the windshield when it rains, even though I keep my DD very clean. It's very distracting especially at night since a smudge appears right in front of my line-of-sight every stroke of the wiper. In dry conditions the glass is crystal clear, and the smears go away shortly after each wiper stroke.

Is there a windshield polish or something I can use to clean this up? Maybe just regular paint polish? I have a good DA buffer and am familiar with paint detailing and care. I am not a fan of Rain-X or other sealants that are designed to wick water off the windshield. I like using my wipers. The blades are about a year old.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
10/27/16 8:30 a.m.

Year old blades? The issue is the blades, not the windshield. I replace the blades on all of my cars every six months to prevent the very issue you describe. Get some new blades on there and you will enjoy driving in the rain again.

I also keep the windshield heavily coated and buffed with Rain-X. At 45 mph and up, you won't need the wipers at all.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
10/27/16 8:33 a.m.

So what are the state of the art wipers these days? I usually grab the RainX brand wipers and use the RainX brand washer fluid.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/16 8:37 a.m.

I run Rain-X Latitudes unless the windshield has a lot of curve. They seem to hold up longer. I usually get a year or more out of them.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
10/27/16 8:38 a.m.

RainX washer fluid, with its magical rain repelling formula, tends to smear and streak as the wiper blade goes across it. At least that's been my experience with it.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
10/27/16 8:45 a.m.

I've been very pleased with the Bosch Icon. And, I only use the Rain-X treatment fluid, NOT the washer fluid. The treatment takes a couple rounds of buffing to get it nice and clear, but once you do oh man is it good stuff!!!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/27/16 8:56 a.m.

I've also been partial to Bosch Icons lately, though the Rain-X Latitudes do get good ratings.

As for treatments, I recently picked up some Aquapel. Supposedly it lasts longer than Rain-X. We'll see.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
10/27/16 9:02 a.m.

I've been running some Sil-blade blades for a while now. I think they've been on the Jeep for about 2 years. They make a horrid amount of noise if the windshield isn't wet enough and they need to be thoroughly cleaned every couple of months but they don't really seem to be wearing out (and they don't smear or anything when they're clean).

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
10/27/16 9:10 a.m.

Bosch Icons are the best in my opinion. I worked at AAP for 11 years and tried every blade we carried and they always performed the best.

Claybar your windshield a couple times a year. Then put your rainX on afterwards.

When you clean your windshield, clean the blades too. All that E36 M3 your blades wipe off the windshield builds up on the blade surface. Spray your window cleaner in a paper towel and wipe off the blades. It's gross how much crap gets on there.

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
10/27/16 9:54 a.m.

Finally, a kindred spirit! My wife and everyone who has seen me do it thinks I'm insane for cleaning the wiper blades!

In reply to Spoolpigeon:

Tom_Spangler
10/27/16 9:57 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: When you clean your windshield, clean the blades too. All that E36 M3 your blades wipe off the windshield builds up on the blade surface. Spray your window cleaner in a paper towel and wipe off the blades. It's gross how much crap gets on there.

Excellent point, you can extend the life of a pair of wipers a fair bit by doing this. And let's face it, they aren't cheap these days.

For a thorough cleaning, I use Bar Keepers Friend. I had good luck with it on our glass cooktop, so I tried it on a windshield and it did a great job of removing all the crud that builds up. Just make sure you rinse thoroughly before putting on your glass treatment, you don't want any of that powder left.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/27/16 10:18 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Spoolpigeon wrote: When you clean your windshield, clean the blades too. All that E36 M3 your blades wipe off the windshield builds up on the blade surface. Spray your window cleaner in a paper towel and wipe off the blades. It's gross how much crap gets on there.
Excellent point, you can extend the life of a pair of wipers a fair bit by doing this. And let's face it, they aren't cheap these days. For a thorough cleaning, I use Bar Keepers Friend. I had good luck with it on our glass cooktop, so I tried it on a windshield and it did a great job of removing all the crud that builds up. Just make sure you rinse thoroughly before putting on your glass treatment, you don't want any of that powder left.

I wonder if a product for cleaning smooth-top stoves would work as well. Seeing as I have a smear-that-won't-go-away on my Ranger and some of this, I might just try it out this weekend and report back.

(is this a repeat of what Tom just said??)

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
10/27/16 10:21 a.m.

I buy the cheapest blades and replace every 6 months. In fact I just ordered a handful of closeouts on Rockauto yesterday for a whopping $1.40 each.

I have tried the $5-$10 rubber blades and they still need to be replaced in 6 months or so. I have tried some stupid fancy silicone winter blade a few years ago and it was the only one I ever had that tore to shreds when being turned on with a frozen windshield. WTF, a "winter" marketed blade needs to be ready for that E36 M3.

So. $3.88 ANCO's. No more issues. Replace in March and September.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
10/27/16 11:33 a.m.

As far as I can tell, most (all?) of the 'fancy' beam style blades don't have enough rigidity to not chatter in the 28" length that our Fit requires. So 'cheap' metal frame style it is...As frequently as any of them have to be replaced, I'm not complaining.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
10/27/16 11:39 a.m.

What was said above, twice even. Quality blades and keep clean. They'll last longer and won't streak. don't suggest armor-all but some kind of rubber cleaner works well and extends life of blades. Last about a year where I live.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
10/27/16 11:48 a.m.

Alcohol wipes work well to clean and refurbish the blades. Back in the day Bosch use to include a wipe in every wiper package.

I usually squeegee my windows every time I get gas. After I'm done wiping down the windows with the paper towel I clean the blade off too. I always get a big black streak on the paper towel when I do this, so it's cleaning something off.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/27/16 12:24 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: For a thorough cleaning, I use Bar Keepers Friend. I had good luck with it on our glass cooktop, so I tried it on a windshield and it did a great job of removing all the crud that builds up. Just make sure you rinse thoroughly before putting on your glass treatment, you don't want any of that powder left.

Mazdeuce and others have mentioned this as well, so I'm assuming it's safe for windshields. Do you just use it like it says on can?

Alcohol wipes, window cleaner, and white vinegar all work well for cleaning wiper blades. Like above, I do my windows and blades everytime I get gas. I also use the RainX 2 in 1 glass cleaner twice a year on all the outside windows. The miata even gets the orange washer fluid exclusively, whether it helps or not, I don't know.

I'm actually looking for new blades for winter, and a little bugged at the $25 each rainx ones at the store, so good cheap ones would be nice to find.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
10/27/16 1:05 p.m.

Rain x weather beater blades and a good cleaning weekly usually gets me a year out of a set unless i tear them during the winter!

Tom_Spangler
10/27/16 2:00 p.m.
RevRico wrote: Mazdeuce and others have mentioned this as well, so I'm assuming it's safe for windshields. Do you just use it like it says on can?

Yeah, pretty much. I generally wash the car, then while the windshield is still wet, I shake the BKF powder onto it, then scrub it with an old washcloth, then rinse thoroughly. Dry it off and apply protectant of your choice.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
10/27/16 2:25 p.m.

That's how you know the blade is worn, it's leaving a little water on the glass that takes a split second to evaporate. I go through something like 3 driver and 2 passenger blades a year no matter what I buy, I usually stick with the cheapest conventional Michelin blades now. I usually wipe the blades and the glass that they park on when gettign gas. RainX at least twice a year.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
10/27/16 2:45 p.m.

Usually just use Invisible Glass after car wash followed by Rain-X. Bosch Icons are current choice blades.

Youtube vid guy uses clay bar after window cleaner followed by car wax, might hafta try that sometime.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
10/27/16 2:45 p.m.

Will something like Barkeeper's clean off the old Rain-X, right down to the glass? I find that the windshield will get pitted pretty quickly after multiple applications of Rain-X. I need to start fresh.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
10/27/16 2:51 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk:

IIRC RainX is a silicone based chemical dissolved in ethanol for application, you'll want something that will dissolve that.

trucke
trucke Dork
10/27/16 3:06 p.m.

A tip I got from a chemical engineer and racer. Wash windows with BonAmi. Rinse well. Clean with 70 % alcohol. Then RainX per instructions. This gives a really clean surface for the RainX. Been doing this for 10+ years. The RainX application lasts over a year.

Like paint, its all in the surface preparation.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
10/27/16 3:53 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: RainX washer fluid, with its magical rain repelling formula, tends to smear and streak as the wiper blade goes across it. At least that's been my experience with it.

Same here.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zBh8GasDONVigbdzWhq9ZdCJwt7vFRvreRD3kFILVtqVOg1t8XB3d5FHzeMcfHUh