wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/18/12 2:13 p.m.

I have a bunch of braided steel lines on our LeMons car for the clutch, brakes, etc...

How do we protect the lines from ruining everything they touch? How do we protect the lines from things cutting them?

I was thinking about zip tying some rubber hose over top of teh line anywhere it will touch something.

Is this good enough? Should I try something else?

Thanks!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/18/12 2:15 p.m.

Sounds good to me.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/18/12 2:36 p.m.

That works well. I've also heard of using spiral wire wrap, and I like the idea. Lighter and easier to do.

e_pie
e_pie Reader
1/18/12 2:51 p.m.

Rubber hose should work just fine.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/18/12 4:21 p.m.

yea.. the stainless braided stuff makes for great saws where you don't want them

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
1/18/12 4:42 p.m.

if worried about routing these through firewalls... you can use a piece of W/W line(or fine vacuum hose) split it lengthwise, and fit it around the hole itself.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/18/12 4:44 p.m.

WHY did i never think of that?!?!?!

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
1/18/12 4:49 p.m.

Use heat shrink tubing (thats what the f1 guys do).

Kendall

Chas_H
Chas_H New Reader
1/18/12 7:09 p.m.

I've always used spiral wrap.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/18/12 9:43 p.m.

You don't need to protect the braided lines. You just need to protect anything that they may touch, as they will eat right through ANYTHING.

I always tie them down so they don't move around. Bits of rubber hose around them where they touch something else, etc. Plenty of zip ties. Had one oil hose eat part way through a rear brake master cylinder on my bike. Didn't even mark the hose.

I prefer the Russell brand lines.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
1/18/12 10:21 p.m.

We make s/s and Teflon hoses. Tubing is good but we have to slip it on before crimping the couplings.

We also use an orange silicone frye sleeve and band the ends on. I like that spiral wrap too.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
1/18/12 10:24 p.m.

buy the s/s lines that already have the clear plastic coating over them.

problem solved.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/18/12 10:40 p.m.

I've seen just as much damage to the lines as the rest of the car. I've seen a tire eat through a brake line, for example. I've also seen the lines start to abrade and develop the nastiest little needles to mess up your hands. They need to be protected, no question.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/18/12 10:41 p.m.

spray them down with plasti-dip?

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Reader
1/19/12 6:24 a.m.

Smear on a thin coating of silicone. Double up on the serious parts.

Chas_H
Chas_H New Reader
1/19/12 9:59 a.m.
irish44j wrote: buy the s/s lines that already have the clear plastic coating over them. problem solved.

I rarely use SS when a stock line can be bought. But when an off the shelf line of any sort is not available, then an SS line is made up and covered with spiral wrap.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
1/19/12 11:15 a.m.

The only DOT approved braided brake lines I can get made locally have the clear plastic coating. I dig it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rr1Moq3JNkrlaMA9eLwiPCem2Uf3X2tH9Wvy90N1HIHoBVpJPO321dNbSoHpQE9J