ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
3/4/20 2:38 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/3H0L8JiZkHQ

Courtesy our sister publication, Classic Motorsports, we demonstrate how to "tuck" the bumpers on a 1980s European classic using our Volkswagen Golf GTI project car as an example.

Watch more videos

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/4/20 6:11 p.m.

Everyone dig the music? 

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
3/4/20 6:51 p.m.

The music was great. The fighting with a rusty bolt helped me relate to the project.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/4/20 6:52 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

It's a jaunty little number.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
3/4/20 6:58 p.m.

On my e30 without removing the bumper from the car I simply drilled a hole in the piston to let all the fluid out (wear eye protection) then slowly drove the car against a tree in my yard to compress it. Took about 5 minutes. 

The upside is with a good hard yank I can pull it back out to stock position if I need to access something behind it (like to change the parking light bulbs or whatever) and then a swift kick pushes it back in. Been like that for 8+ years and has never "extended" on its own or moved. 

--

side note: in the cover shot of the vid above, why does it look like the bumpers are angled upward? Are they supposed to be like that on an old GTI?

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/20 7:06 p.m.

Tucked rear bumper

Cactus
Cactus Reader
3/5/20 10:23 a.m.

Embrace the diving board bumpers. They're really nice when you street park and shiny happy people box you in.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dGGa0EpJMhwjGmOIW8PnB69zBvGjUuTXyFAhlXaLMPOH4tJNOIWnvkm1QZIV1Jy3