1 2
ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
8/29/11 3:29 p.m.

Internet High-Five to you OP, I also picked up a B-body Wagon just recently.

Once I get mine cleaned up, I'd love to do an AX and throw some people in the puke seats, hahaha.

familytruckster
familytruckster New Reader
9/1/11 7:59 p.m.

It'll do great with some street stock parts Or some impy SS parts. Tons of options out there for the GM crowd.

I run 1000lb springs and afco 1020 shocks out front with a 1 1/4" addco swaybar. Backend is stock replacement variable rate springs, stock interceptor rear swaybar, and monroe sensatracs from an F150. I just can't keep the rear axle together. Too many G's and odd loading on the diff.

Make sure you get vids at the autox!

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
4/1/12 11:37 a.m.

OK, resurrecting this old thread as we are getting close to the first autocross of the season for Misery Bay (April 22nd)! The Caprice has new tires, as well as new brakes all around. Looking through the old records, the car had its shocks and springs(!) replaced around `08, so I should be good to go.

In a weird twist of fate, my friend recently inherited his grandfather's `84 Pontiac Grand Safari, so it looks like B-Body wagons will be well represented this year! And yes, videos and images will follow.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
4/1/12 12:03 p.m.

Do want!

JKleiner
JKleiner New Reader
4/1/12 1:39 p.m.

That's a good looking wagon! Remember, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow.

We have a guy who shows up in one of the later jelly bean versions from time to time. It isn't as disastrous as you might think and he has as much fun as anybody!

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
4/1/12 2:27 p.m.
JKleiner wrote: That's a good looking wagon! Remember, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow.

Oh yeah. My previous autocross car was a Volvo 240 wagon. I know the definition of slow! :)

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/1/12 4:38 p.m.
jimbob_racing wrote: Years ago I rode in the rear facing seat of one of those at an autocross. I think that we had eight people in it total.

I used to barf from being carsick in the back of a similar vintage LTD wagon, I cannot even imagine what that would have been like.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
4/1/12 6:50 p.m.

Land yachts can be fun to autocross. My first autocross event was in one of these.

More specifically, this one.

Every car I've owned since has been treated to at least one cone filled event.

thunderzy
thunderzy Reader
4/1/12 6:55 p.m.

I love wagons. Even if it doesn't autocross well. Who cares?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/1/12 7:01 p.m.

I rode in Greg's turbobrick a few seasons ago....definitely the most entertaining car I had been in in a long time.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
4/1/12 7:59 p.m.

How well will it Autocross? Probably not very but who cares, it'll be a lot of fun anway.

Ian F
Ian F UltraDork
4/1/12 8:08 p.m.
Hoop wrote:
JKleiner wrote: That's a good looking wagon! Remember, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow.
Oh yeah. My previous autocross car was a Volvo 240 wagon. I know the definition of slow! :)

I see your 240 and raise you a TDi. It introduced a whole new level of slow. If a normal HS car makes time stand still, when I ran time went backwards.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/1/12 8:28 p.m.

i'll be running my b body some this year i suppose. once i buy a helmet and fix my cooling fans.

Moving_Target
Moving_Target New Reader
4/1/12 11:16 p.m.

I will be trying my '94 Crown Vic at an autocross sometime this season (I swore I'd never do so). I will be installing Addco bars, stiffer springs and probably some Bilsteins just so it's not completely retarded on course. It ought to be fun and I will definitely be shooting video.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
4/1/12 11:39 p.m.

Needs the Simpson race baby seat.

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
4/1/12 11:57 p.m.
patgizz wrote: i'll be running my b body some this year i suppose. once i buy a helmet and fix my cooling fans.

Well, Misery Bay runs out of Erie PA. We are driving there from Kent; you should join us!

Appleseed, I can happily say that I have no kids for which to use such a contraption!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/2/12 8:04 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
Hoop wrote:
I see your 240 and raise you a TDi. It introduced a whole new level of slow. If a normal HS car makes time stand still, when I ran time went backwards.

I see your TDi and raise you a W123 turbo diesel wagon which at some point will end up at the autocross...

Ian F
Ian F UltraDork
4/2/12 8:14 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I see your TDi and raise you a W123 turbo diesel wagon which at some point will end up at the autocross...

That will be a sight to see. There had better be pics.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/2/12 8:17 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: I see your TDi and raise you a W123 turbo diesel wagon which at some point will end up at the autocross...
That will be a sight to see. There had better be pics.

Noted. I will make sure I get some when it happens.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/2/12 8:33 a.m.
Hoop wrote:
patgizz wrote: i'll be running my b body some this year i suppose. once i buy a helmet and fix my cooling fans.
Well, Misery Bay runs out of Erie PA. We are driving there from Kent; you should join us! Appleseed, I can happily say that I have no kids for which to use such a contraption!

win. we need each other's contact info. i'm working in kent wednesday actually. i'm going to try my best to get to cumberland md some this year too.

baby seat fits in the impala pretty well.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/2/12 9:23 a.m.

Use this as a tutorial.....

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/war-wagons/

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
4/2/12 9:33 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Those late 70s Malibus have much potential as a drag car.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/2/12 9:42 a.m.

I love that generation B-body. Should I ever have the time and money to build a resto-rod, that is what I would use as my basis. Maybe an LS3, with a six speed. Suspension upgrades and brakes for the track. Four Recaros instead of the benches . . .

Or an Allison diesel . . .

I drove a cab for two years -- a B-body wagon was my preferred ride.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
4/2/12 9:50 a.m.

This is awesome, I drove a Pontiac version of the same car back in high school, it was beige on top and wood grain on the side, massive car. Got hit with 220k on the clock and still going strong, totaled it due to the fact it was 18 years old (same age as me at the time) I got hit, I still love thinking about that wagon...

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
4/9/12 9:12 a.m.

Pat, just got word from my friend who is a member that the autocross has been moved to the 15th of April. I am still going, however.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dCnO2005C6glim9iL5X8KP9dlPIMPDxGwpKHLm6hoBnobIw5fkVxDcifuydVBAYp