1 2
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/12/18 7:33 a.m.

How wide is a Miata shell with no doors? Could I transport it in the back of a pickup if I'm willing to let it hang out over the back? Yes I'm aware that this is a terrible idea, but let's discuss it anyway.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
9/12/18 7:39 a.m.

Based on the width of a fully assembled Miata being just under 5.5 feet, I'm going to take a guess and say a shell with no doors is probably right around or just under 5 feet wide.  

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/12/18 8:01 a.m.

It really only matters about the width at the rockers. And thats to clear the wheelwell in the bed of the truck. If you build a platform to get the shell above the wheelwells, there will really be no concerns about it fitting. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/18 8:08 a.m.

I do not know about the miata.. but I moved the shell of an E36 on an open uhaul cargo trailer. It fit with inches to spare

mazdeuce - Seth
9/12/18 8:18 a.m.

Mr. Tapemeasure says the tailgate opening, which is the narrowest part, is 59 1/4 with a few fractions to spare. Getting it above the wheel wells is trivial in comparison to Pete and I figuring out how to get it in the truck, so let's assume we can easily build something to get it up. I mean, I suppose I could have Pete just measure the actual shell that I want to pick up, that would be the easiest.......

stroker
stroker UltraDork
9/12/18 8:24 a.m.

What about building a wooden support for the passenger compartment of the Miata then loading it in the back of the truck upside down?  Probably easier to just use a trailer...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/12/18 8:29 a.m.

Flat shell or rolling? 

mazdeuce - Seth
9/12/18 8:30 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Flat, subframes on. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/12/18 8:37 a.m.

I have a vision in my head. Build flat rails out of 2x8 above wheel wells of truck, brace board at the front, eyelet bolt in the middle. Use other vehicle to pull miata with dollies up fabbed ramps. Pull from front subframe, loop through eyelets so it's like a pulley. I'm willing to bet it will fit that way. Use bed sides to tie down. 

mazdeuce - Seth
9/12/18 9:07 a.m.

My thought was to bring a hoist. Get the front (or probaby the back) of the car high enough. Back the truck under it. Secure it so it doesn't slide. Pick up the front, and then slide it the rest of the way on. I'm sure I'm discounting a LOT of sweating and swearing, but in my mind it's a fool proof plan, if it's narrow enough......

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/18 9:27 a.m.

Man, that's a lot of work to avoid a flatbed trailer...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/12/18 9:35 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

My thought was to bring a hoist. Get the front (or probaby the back) of the car high enough. Back the truck under it. Secure it so it doesn't slide. Pick up the front, and then slide it the rest of the way on. I'm sure I'm discounting a LOT of sweating and swearing, but in my mind it's a fool proof plan, if it's narrow enough......

That is a LOT of swearing to discount. Please record video. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/12/18 9:36 a.m.

Any chance you could use the furniture dollies from harbor freight and shove it up some boards into the truck?  An empty shell should be fairly light, albeit awkward. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/12/18 9:47 a.m.

I have used an engine hoist to lift a non-engined car (Spitfire) in to the back of a box truck.

My wife was not happy about having to help in the dark, on a street that had some slope to it...

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/18 9:58 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I have a plan if you seriously want to try this...

FYI the widest part is likely the rear quarters at the wheel lips. 

Also, keep in mind the car still has both subframes & is presently on wheels. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
9/12/18 10:02 a.m.

At the door latch level my NB is 65" across. That's the widest point.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
9/12/18 10:05 a.m.

So 66".

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/12/18 10:24 a.m.

Cut the car up into manageable size chunks with a plasma cutter and then weld it back together at the other end? :)

I agree with Keith.  You have a truck, can you not find a friend with a trailer who's willing to let you borrow it?

M16ta
M16ta New Reader
9/12/18 10:27 a.m.

If you abandon the pickup bed idea, I know for a fact that a doorless shell will fit in a 6'x12' U Haul utility trailer, but you can't close the gate all the way.

mazdeuce - Seth
9/12/18 10:27 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Thanks, I'm pretty sure that's a no then. Not a huge deal, I can grab a trailer and go get it later. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/18 7:50 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Tow dolly. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/18 7:56 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Pete Gossett said:

Tow dolly. 

Since it has a certificate of destruction it can’t be titled/plated(legally), but I’m not sure if that’s a requirement for being towed on a dolly in MS/LA/TX? I know it was up in IL/IN. 

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
9/12/18 10:37 p.m.

Oh, boy, looks like another cool Mazdeuce build thread is coming!

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
9/13/18 7:50 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:
Keith Tanner said:
Pete Gossett said:

Tow dolly. 

Since it has a certificate of destruction it can’t be titled/plated(legally), but I’m not sure if that’s a requirement for being towed on a dolly in MS/LA/TX? I know it was up in IL/IN. 

"Plated" is just a screw driver away.  Especially if you already have a Me-otter with current plates.

mazdeuce - Seth
9/13/18 7:58 a.m.

The whole point of the thread was to determine what to drive to pick Pete up in on my way to the challenge. If I can't do something dumb like slide the Miata in the back of the truck on the way back through Mississippi, I'll just take the Accord or the Subaru and pop over later with a trailer. Not a huge deal.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wl2Apq4b83aQ1h8ykFEJgC7lTmLtj8N1XZs6znZeLn7WEgjvHO8M90IxGv9VFk24