1 2
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/18 3:05 p.m.

so if you were going to look at a 2007 BMW with about 190k miles on it, and the owner said he's a DIY guy and is on top of all maintenance, and he had a spreadsheet of date / mileage / service but didn't have receipts for any parts, what would you think?   FWIW, this is my daily (NOT for sale) and this is how i'm tracking my maintenance and repairs.  i mostly order parts online and don't keep a folder of receipts, but i do have pix of the new parts going in, as seen below.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
10/5/18 3:11 p.m.

Wow! 

parker
parker Reader
10/5/18 3:13 p.m.

I would think he's a bit OCD wink  But I'd be glad to have the history.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
10/5/18 3:14 p.m.

In reply to parker :

Beat me to it.

I'd think you're crazy, but a good kind of crazy. If the car was solid it would be a deal clincher, though I would be curious why you would save pics but not receipts.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
10/5/18 3:23 p.m.

I have a moleskin with dates, mileage, part numbers, work performed and measurements (if required) in the door of the MS3.

It's log booked like an airplane. Anytime it goes to someone besides me for a job, I scan the receipts as a PDF into my Google Drive and record it as well.

So to me, totally acceptable as long as the person seller doesn't seem like he just made it all up.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/18 3:25 p.m.

I think it's crazy. I don't keep records on anything. Probably never will. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/5/18 3:45 p.m.

Heh heh. Reminds me of me. When I sold the BMW I had a 3 ring binder with all maintenance records in chronological order (previous owners were good about keeping receipts) from when it left the dealer. I then made a spreadsheet like yours documenting all of that plus maintenance I had done with and without receipts, with dates, mileage and type of oil/plugs/whatever. I even made a pretty cover for it with the BMW logo. 

Damn I miss that car.

TGMF
TGMF Reader
10/5/18 3:47 p.m.

Looking it over makes me think its got a oil consumption issue. 

182,475 added quart

184,067 added quart

2 quarts in 1500 miles? 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/18 3:48 p.m.

I’ll pay $50 for it

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/18 3:55 p.m.

I use a paint pen on the upper rad support and list the date and what was done for large items. Like battery or alternator or water pump. Oil change records are kept in a small spiral bound note pad thing with date and millage. Things like wiper blades and misc fluids I don’t keep records of. I do record coolant and brake fluid changes on the rad support. 

So if you ever come across a car with a lot of orange paint pen documentation on the upper rad support it could have been mine at some point. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/5/18 4:05 p.m.
Suprf1y said:
I would be curious why you would save pics but not receipts.

He probably has the receipts, but they're probably lumped in with other purchases, etc.  Redacting the personal info out would be a PITA.  When I sold the mushroom-brown Celica to Jthw8, it had stacks of paperwork from the PO (who was my sister).  I wanted to provide that to him, but not a family member's personal info, so I had to go through and make copies of eveything with it taped out.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
10/5/18 5:26 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Sure but if you're taking pics it's easy to take a pic of the receipt with that info covered up. Not a deal breaker, just odd considering all the trouble he otherwise went to.

In reply to TGMF :

Saw that too, and he's adding a lot of oil but I wouldn't says it's excessive quite yet. It does have 200k on it

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/5/18 6:38 p.m.

It looks pretty good but I think leaving out the receipts was a mistake - potential buyers may be suspicious that it's all made up.

I have two BMWs, a 1986 and 1988.  For whatever reason, I've noticed over the years that BMW owners more so than other brands keep exacting service records, and/or ask for them when buying cars.  I know both of mine have just about every single record (some previous owners even kept track of when they washed the cars smiley  ) so as a result I have a large binder full of paperwork for each car.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
10/5/18 6:50 p.m.

In reply to The0retical :

I was thinking the same thing. Looks just like an aircraft logbook.

calteg
calteg Dork
10/5/18 6:57 p.m.

Makes sense to me, but I work the same way. Sorry, I'm not saving the Costco receipt with 50 other things on it, just because that's where I buy oil.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/5/18 6:58 p.m.

If it’s clean and neat under the hood I’m on board with guy.  Interior clean too?  Check - I’m good.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/5/18 7:15 p.m.

I keep a logbook on everything. Gas, oil, tire rotation, everything that was ever done on the car. Even gas prices and mpg for that tank.

Ive never been asked to prove the logbook.  Even on the 375k camry (it actually sold for 2300 BECAUSE of the records)

Spreadsheet is a little much for me. But i dislike computers, and particularly excel.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
10/5/18 7:20 p.m.

I'm in the notebook camp. I don't bother with receipts generally; for me it's enough to see a logbook that's plausible and consistent with what I'm seeing on the car.

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
10/5/18 7:30 p.m.

I'm a log booker. Date, mileage, item. Even my '71 Ford Tractor. Date, hours, item. I don't think he sat down and made all that up. I take it that he found the air filter that dirty as opposed to letting it get that bad.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
10/5/18 7:53 p.m.

I'm honestly awful about keeping maintenance records unless it's something I know I'll be selling.  For the Jeep, I've got everything from the original sales receipt and window sticker up to when I bought it (12 yrs / 100k miles from new).  In the 9 years / almost 150k miles since, I think I've added 2 things to the folder...

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
10/5/18 8:57 p.m.

I use a folder for paperwork if I remember to put it in there.  I scribble dates and mileage on the front along with any notable repairs.

I’m now searching for a maintenance records app.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/5/18 9:47 p.m.

Each of my vehicles has a small spiral bound notebook where I log date/mileage/item and brand.   If that's not enough for someone, well, I can't help them..

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/5/18 10:44 p.m.

Never had a car that had a next owner, so no need!

Pete

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/6/18 5:52 a.m.

If anything ever happens to Google Drive a lot of us will be SCREWED.  It’ll be like the Photobucket fiasco only 100x worse.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/6/18 5:59 a.m.

Forget all that, LOVE the color!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0DwA02LCEvqZzEhDHPF7RZEjm0TFj50DHzXBr6sfo8Cakj9OD5J54rGd7VGrappr