shuttlepilot
shuttlepilot New Reader
9/15/08 4:10 p.m.

What is the proper way to prepare lifters for install? I pulled them for some head work on a 2.0 VW engine, but I think I stored them in the wrong position and they drained. I am thinking about taking a syringe and injecting oil into them would be enough.

Do I need to soak them bottoms up, or do I need to go to the extent of submerging them in oil and pushing on them with a press to purge the air?

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
9/15/08 4:19 p.m.

usually its just soak for a few hours in oil, maybe if you can, compress them while submerged. although the only ones i've dealt with are tiny mazda ones i could easily compress with two fingers

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/15/08 4:31 p.m.

I would pump those up. Submerge in oil, right side up, and use a press to work them a few times until the air bubbles quit coming out. I have used an old pushrod chucked in a drill press to do this (SBC lifters).

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/15/08 9:36 p.m.

lube lifter liberally with assembly lube

install

let the engine pump them up, it happens in a matter of seconds after startup anyway.

i've been building engines for 12 years like this.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/15/08 9:39 p.m.

I'm with patgizz. I've been doing it for 10 years. I've actually run into problems pumping them up on some engines. If they're too "full" they can overlift and score a lobe or bend a rocker arm/pushrod.

shuttlepilot
shuttlepilot New Reader
9/15/08 11:49 p.m.

assembly lube makes sense, but worried that air won't get purged since there is only one hole and no exit for oil or air. Can't figure out how they would fill up without a prefill.

Would filling them, installing the cam on top of them. Letting the assembly sit for a half hour to bleed down excess oil, turn over engine by hand a few times to seat everything and then fire it up? Coating the assembly liberally with oil of course.

i have lots of work into this car and it would destroy me to make more work breaking things.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FRLV45m6eLDr8XJ65m0vA05R7aelH8JjcR1P4pfRZof4HzSARWg1f36VUhFZkCAf