wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/10/17 11:11 a.m.

GM T5 with stock hydraulic throwout bearing potential release issue...

I think I have about .210" gap between the clutch fingers and my throwout bearings most collapsed position.

Is this too much?

Anybody know the overall throw of a GM T5 or T56 Hydraulic throwout bearing?

Anybody know how far clutch fingers need to move to fully release?

I am trying to see if I have enough throw at the HTOB to fully release my clutch. The trans is acting like the clutch is not fully releasing. It is close. However, 5th gear is giving a little crunch if the rpms are higher than about 2K. This is for a racecar, so 6K rpm shifts are required. Anything beyond 4K and the trans will NOT shift into 5th gear. Even with pushing the clutch in and holding it down.

Thanks in advance!

Rob R.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
7/10/17 1:51 p.m.
BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
7/10/17 2:41 p.m.

Most of what I'm finding is for full blown race stuff. This install sheet for a stock clutch and aftermarket bearing tells you to target 0.060. All of these numbers are also probably assuming a new clutch, you can get by with less on a used one (the fingers come out more as the disc wears)

wvumtnbkr
7/10/17 4:26 p.m.

Nice. Count on grm to help with your Mazda rx7 with a Chevy venture engine connected to a camaro trans with an s10 clutch resting against a cavalier flywheel.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/10/17 5:35 p.m.

Rob, I'm measuring about 5/8" of travel on the old T56 slave cylinder I've got on the bench - 3 7/16" fully extended and around 2 13/16" fully compressed.

mck1117
mck1117 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/10/17 7:23 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E:

That's pretty similar to what my aftermarket T5 slave cylinder does. With it fully compressed, I have a little under a 1/8" gap to the PP fingers.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
7/10/17 11:49 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

Did you watch that video series I posted? He details everything you need.

wvumtnbkr
7/11/17 11:51 a.m.
Trackmouse wrote: In reply to wvumtnbkr: Did you watch that video series I posted? He details everything you need.

I watched part of it so far. Im getting to it.

Thanks for the help!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yV0OzKQbSlvJsOB2ROmjRJEtPjaXDiffCgmdehtWfQz5ULqdL2XnnGrWsQBdMl9p