OldGray320i
OldGray320i New Reader
9/12/11 6:12 p.m.

Ok, so the 320i still isn't running (but I swear, it should fire, what's the deal?), and the e30 will need at minimum a head gasket (oil in the coolant, nowhere else, runs great), so I would get summarily executed for mentioning to SWMBO, but how reliable are these cars? They have to be great fun to drive.

It's a nice looking car, $3800.

An exercise in thought at the moment, but what an appealing thought...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/12/11 6:26 p.m.

Mechanically, they last well if looked after.

Bodywise, oh well...

OldGray320i
OldGray320i New Reader
9/12/11 6:30 p.m.

There's another one too, a one owner car, $5K.

Up in Phoenix, so if they're desert cars, no rust....

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
9/12/11 6:33 p.m.

I've had one for a few years. Daily drove it while in school at Ohio State because I ball all day long. Lots of fun, no power, good looking car. Never had many problems, but right now I have a bad few pump relay. I'm looking to sell, akin $4000.

Mine has a little rust, but was repainted before I got it, so looks pretty good. Top is rough, but holds water. It really is a really fun car. Definitely go for it. 1980 is an especially good vintage because they are fuel injected.

skierd
skierd Dork
9/12/11 8:17 p.m.

I think the italians may have figured out how to make them rust even in the desert do be careful. Great little cars that I have a huge crush on despite being the only car that left me stranded on a test drive...

Raze
Raze Dork
9/12/11 8:50 p.m.

I like mine, I wouldn't pay that much for one unless you know the shape of the electrical system (make sure everything works and no one has added 'extra' stuff on the stock fuse block) and rust/bodywork, be suspicious of 'new paint'. These cars need tinkering, not just for proper operation, but the recommended service intervals on many major mechanicals require inspection every 12,000 miles or less. I've owned mine a year, it's a blast to drive, gets attention, and are very rare to see out and about round here...

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/12/11 8:59 p.m.

$3800 is a lot of money unless it has had a LARGE amount of DOCUMENTED work done to it.

I've seen nice looking drivers go for $1500. As others say, yes, they do rust even in the desert.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
9/12/11 10:07 p.m.

I like them, and as an added bonus when a guy is used to buying poorly made chinese copies of poorly designed Lucas parts for Leyland junk, Fiat still exists, and you can buy parts that fit, and work as intended.

work as intended, not work correctly.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
9/13/11 5:27 a.m.
LainfordExpress wrote: 1980 is an especially good vintage because they are fuel injected.

About 20% right. FI started to show at the very end of 1980. Most of those are still carb'd with a truly asthmatic intake system. FI is worlds better but it's a rare 1980 model that has it.

For the unknowing/noob to Fiat 124s I wrote this several years ago: Introduction to the Fiat Spider

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/13/11 5:59 a.m.

I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all... I don't always follow that, but I will here. The only thing I'll say is that when they're running and driving, they're great, but when they're not, they're miserable.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/13/11 6:04 a.m.

Put it this way... i'm certifiably insane. I've ALMOST bought a Spyder of this vintage a few times. But i've never been able to bring myself to pull the trigger.

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
9/13/11 6:18 a.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: $3800 is a lot of money unless it has had a LARGE amount of DOCUMENTED work done to it. I've seen nice looking drivers go for $1500. As others say, yes, they do rust even in the desert.

^^ This. $3800 seems very overpriced. That should net you a near show car. I bought two of them in February, neither ran, only one was worth restoring. But I only paid $500 for both...total...including a minivan full of extra parts.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
9/13/11 10:02 a.m.

I had a roughly 80 fuel injected one. And a parts car or two. Traded my old CRX for it and some cash.

I love my Spitfires and other british strange things. I loved the Fiat 2000 much less.

Don't get me wrong, the engine sung a sweet note, the gearbox was the sweetest shifting thing I ever stirred, and the ratios were perfect.

But it had enough weirdness and disapointments that I did not love it, and sold it about a year or two later. Electrical problems, rust, poor brakes, etc.

That said, if its a car that tickles your funny bone, go get it. I have a Triumph, it's not like I've got room to talk about fine engineering and lack of electrical problems.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i New Reader
9/13/11 12:06 p.m.

Lots of good info here. The second one I found is a one owner car (the guy is now 70, according to the ad) with all the documentation.

There was a guy who wanted to buy the e30, thought I might turn it for one of these, but I'm not sure how much I can get a way with in terms of owning a finicky car (My 320i has that feel to SWMBO, but only because I rebuilt the motor and haven't gotten it back on the road; kind of how I wound up with the e30...).

I will ponder very carfully....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/13/11 2:17 p.m.

I have had a bunch of Spiders... just beginning to tackle a restoration on my 77 (probably this spring). carbed 80s cars have about 80hp.. injected 102. Not a lot by todays standards.. but they do not weigh much and have a tight ratioed tranmission and diff that makes for rapid acceleration and not much top end.. not that you want to do 100mph in one with the top down (been there, done that, got beat up by the wind)

They have a very sweet engine as long as proper maintance was done (especially the T-belt around every 20,000 to 25,000 miles) A great feeling (if weak) transmission, and still the best soft top in the business. It's ease to put down and take up will put a miata to shame.

80s models are less prone to rust than earlier ones.. and most electrical problems come down to the grounds.. especially the taillight ground in the trunk. If it has a bad connection.. all sorts of funky things happen.

Interior is a bit weird with the driver having to assume an "ape" position with long arms out to a wheel inclined like a bus with your knees bent as the pedals are a bit too close.

These are a vastly underappreciated classic sports car. They can run rings around most of their competition and what they couldn't.. they were more refined than. The twin cam engine is a real jewel with a distinct and pleasant sound and a bit more punch than pure numbers will tell you.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
9/13/11 4:35 p.m.

Why not just buy a Miata?

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
9/13/11 7:32 p.m.

Well, the Miata is a superior car. 20 plus years of development will do that. Some of the lackluster feelings experienced with the driving dynamics are probably because most of the respondents have owned later "big bumper" cars. The purer pre-75 cars I think are a bit more "sporty" than the later heavier, emissions laden versions. It's really hard to find the early ones, however.

BAMF
BAMF Reader
9/13/11 10:37 p.m.

I miss my 1981 Spider.

If it's in decent shape, $3800, isn't bad. I bought mine for $3500 in 1998, with $12k in receipts. Everything mechanical, aside from the engine, had been rebuilt. The body was rusty in places, but presentable. The interior was nice.

I love the Bosch FI on the odd 1980 models and all 1981-1985. It is pretty reliable if things are kept clean (tank rust will kill a fuel pump like none other).

mad_machine
9/13/11 11:01 p.m.

I always found funny about the Fiat spider. This is an undervalued vintage roadster.. that gets no love what-so-ever. It rusts no more or no less than anything the Brits made. It's wiring is a bit better, it has THE best manual softop ever.. and it has a revhappy Twin cam engine, a five speed trans, 4 wheel discs... heck, it even had delay wipers and fibreoptic lighting in the console...

Yet most people would rather save an MGB from the crusher than a fiat.

Raze
Raze Dork
9/14/11 6:39 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: Yet most people would rather save an MGB from the crusher than a fiat.

Not me, there is something about Italian car design that once you get it, nothing else will do (especially classics)...

As ddavid said I also like the early bumper cars, that's why it took me a year to find one on the cheap. I'm not going to make it to this years challenge, but based on budget, I could bring my Fiat next year...

mad_machine
9/14/11 8:27 a.m.

well.. my 77 has the early bumpers sitting in my garage's loft. I prefer the looks and weight of the early cars.. expecially once you pull 150pounds of bumper off of them. (I once weighed the tube bumpers... I think they came in at 70 pounds each)

OldGray320i
OldGray320i New Reader
9/14/11 12:34 p.m.

If I do this, and it's REALLY tempting, I'd kill the big ugly bumpers. I think these things look great bumperless, though I do think a bit of a lip would work well on the front.

I've only mildly "thought" about a Miata, but that classic Italian styling has a strong pull.

There's one locally for $1500, mechanicals solid, interior and paint need work (who cares), and needs a top (according to the ad...). I think I'll call that guy for a drive and see what's what.

mad_machine
9/14/11 1:57 p.m.

here is a nice kit for turnsignals if you remove the bumpers.

Abarth Blanks

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IaStyYtuwzXjlK4UOWlJGCdq9zjrM0EF9m67R3orgQSwQVxOHaOs4VB8or1BcKQb