pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/11 12:02 p.m.

2400 pounds and 110 hp with compact dimensions and some room in the wheel arches. Not a 4th Gen Civic Si perhaps, but it seems like it has good bones for autocrossing in a modified class when the values bottom out.

With a coil-over suspension, sway bars and sticky tires...it might hold on. With 15hp in and 100 lbs out...it might scoot.

Discuss.

pinchvalve
12/13/11 12:03 p.m.

Hmmmmmm.

pinchvalve
12/13/11 12:04 p.m.

Hmmmmmm

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
12/13/11 12:13 p.m.

i think you could do worse

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/11 12:16 p.m.

I've got an '07 I picked up a year ago for $4700. Mine is more setup as a pseudo-rally car than for handling, but even on snow tires it's still fun to toss around and beat on. Overall I find it to be a very adorable little e36m3box. I get a consistent 30mpg, it's amazing in snow(Michelin X-ice FTW!), and other than rebuilding the front end - primarily due to the fact I drive it like a rally car, and there was no sign of any maintenance/care from the people I bought it from.

The worst problem is the lack of any serious aftermarket support.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/13/11 12:19 p.m.

I want one in green. I often threaten my neon with being replaced by a Korean hatchback when she acts up.

Only problem is ones with amenities like power windows and cruise with a stick are less plentiful.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/11 1:09 p.m.

family friend has one.. his is an auto (he is almost 85) but it goes a lot better than I expected. His replaced an older accent that was rear ended.. so he is sold on Hyundai's quality

failboat
failboat HalfDork
12/13/11 1:41 p.m.

I have 52k miles on mine with no issues. Simple, Reliable, I see 33-35mpg regularly (90 miles a day commuting). My biggest complaint is that the seats are on the firm side and not very comfortable on longer drives. Yaris and Fit seats are much more comfy. Mine is the SE package, came the 16 alloys stock as pictured above, a bigger front sway bar (I believe its 3mm larger than stock), firmer shocks and springs (reviews always mentioned the stats "25% stiffer in the front, 12% stiffer in the rear"), foglights, power windows, 6 speaker stereo, B&M short throw shifter...optional sunroof and cruise control.

I have made a few small mods to mine...

I did maybe 6 or 7 autocrosses when it was stock and the biggest problem was getting the car to rotate. I was probably doing it wrong. All I had was stickier tires and -2.0* camber set up front.

For a while a lot of online dealership vendors were having blowout prices on accessories to clear inventory. A nice DC Sports strut brace for $14, AEM short ram intake for like $30. B&M short throw shifter for cheap. some of the items sold out, some are still available.

I dont think its going to be the next hot autocross champion, but I think a used SE is probably a good bargain priced, fun subcompact if you are in the market for one.

I think a lightweight flywheel and exhaust would really wake the car up.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
12/13/11 2:16 p.m.

I love the way they look, and considered buying one a few times, but everything I hear indicates that the 1.6 is a bit of a slug. It makes 100 hp, but apparently it doesn't like doing it Not very revvy for such a small motor.

I would also look at a Yaris 2 dr. hatch.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
12/13/11 2:58 p.m.

The 1.6 is MUCH better than the earlier 1.5 SOHC's. TRUST me.... my Old single cam alpha hates life above 4500rpms. It will rev to 5k, but holding on for 5500 is a lesson in futility.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
12/13/11 5:08 p.m.

In reply to failboat:

I have little to add to the discussion, but your car is three doors of pure sex. I was really hoping when that bodystyle was released that the Hyundai aftermarket would finally pick up. I'm still waiting...

I made an honest attempt to buy a new Accent GS(I think it was GS) in '09. 3 door, positively zero options. It had a radio and power steering, nothing else; I'd have gladly given those up, too. Couldn't get the high pressure, nasty dealer to budge on markups that pushed the price up several thousand to a touch over $14k. I'm still pissy about it.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
12/13/11 5:23 p.m.
failboat wrote: I have 52k miles on mine with no issues. Simple, Reliable, I see 33-35mpg regularly (90 miles a day commuting). My biggest complaint is that the seats are on the firm side and not very comfortable on longer drives. Yaris and Fit seats are much more comfy. Mine is the SE package, came the 16 alloys stock as pictured above, a bigger front sway bar (I believe its 3mm larger than stock), firmer shocks and springs (reviews always mentioned the stats "25% stiffer in the front, 12% stiffer in the rear"), foglights, power windows, 6 speaker stereo, B&M short throw shifter...optional sunroof and cruise control. I have made a few small mods to mine... I did maybe 6 or 7 autocrosses when it was stock and the biggest problem was getting the car to rotate. I was probably doing it wrong. All I had was stickier tires and -2.0* camber set up front. For a while a lot of online dealership vendors were having blowout prices on accessories to clear inventory. A nice DC Sports strut brace for $14, AEM short ram intake for like $30. B&M short throw shifter for cheap. some of the items sold out, some are still available. I dont think its going to be the next hot autocross champion, but I think a used SE is probably a good bargain priced, fun subcompact if you are in the market for one. I think a lightweight flywheel and exhaust would really wake the car up.

MOAR PHOTOS PLEASE. That looks hawt!

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
12/13/11 5:27 p.m.

i would expect better MPG out of a small car as such.

always have liked them though

failboat
failboat HalfDork
12/13/11 5:49 p.m.

I seem to be getting the mileage I posted above lately (33-35mpg), in the summer I get more like 36-38, and when really trying to conserve..as high as 41mpg. The car is rated for 33 hwy which I agree is not that impressive for a subcompact.

I have a few more pics and details in my profile

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/11 7:32 p.m.

not when you consider the elantra gets 40 on the highway

petegossett
12/13/11 8:12 p.m.

Wow, I can't get anywhere above 30mpg in mine, it's final drive ratio is just too low.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
12/14/11 7:40 a.m.
petegossett wrote: Wow, I can't get anywhere above 30mpg in mine, it's final drive ratio is just too low.

going faster than 60mph KILLS the mileage, and coasting in neutral when slowing for stops helps a lot.

I believe it was 2010 they came out with the Accent Blue in the US, supposed to be their more efficient model. It had some tweaked gear ratios (I want to say only 5th, or maybe 4th and 5th gears were changed) that allowed a lower rpm on the highway. Like nearly 1k rpm lower.

mad_machine wrote: not when you consider the elantra gets 40 on the highway

And so does the new Accent and Veloster, same 1.6L displacement as the 2006-2011, about 30 more hp, in a package that weighs pretty much the same. I keep saying the Veloster is the spiritual successor to the 3 door Accent but no one wants to admit it.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/14/11 2:02 p.m.

I like those cars, nice clean lines. I think only the 2007 SE had the rear disc brakes. I think of it as Korea's A1 GTI.

subrew
subrew Reader
12/14/11 2:17 p.m.

My wife daily drives an '07 GS. She averages about 34mpg in her typical commute, which is a good mix of town and highway driving.

I have a set of SE struts/shocks and springs on it, and the fatter front bar. It currently rolls on old school TSW 14x7 wheels and 195/60-14 generic tires, since she doesn't need performance tires. Only had one recall (last week) which was just an ECU reflash to cure a rough idle the car didn't have.

petegossett
12/14/11 2:47 p.m.

In reply to GTwannaB:

I find it very similar to an A2 Golf, minus the electrical/Digifant issues. I'm really surprised the rally community hasn't accepted it as a replacement for them & spurred the aftermarket.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
12/14/11 2:51 p.m.

well. someone has. I have tried a few times to find out anything about this one and come up empty handed. its not a photoshop, I have seen 1 or 2 other photos of the cars. i believe there are 2 of them at least.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
1/3/12 9:17 a.m.

this post is being bumped for the sole purpose of whoring some additional artsy fartsy photos of my Accent.

Its a mostly stock SE, but has Megan Springs, K&N filter in stock airbox, intake "snorkel" removed. DC sports strut brace. Enkei RC-T1/NT-03 and new Hankook Ventus V2 Concept H437 205/45/16. Front valance is oem VW Jetta 4motion, trimmed just a little bit and mounted to the stock bumper. 53k miles this weekend, never any issues since purchased new.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7Jh1ZXa02Wmu6hHHp7YAJYZiolgxgN5i6HnxgpG32rxFpKik9zBV7PKLoCZ0RVa3