Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/23/08 2:16 p.m.

Dunno if this has anything to do with what you're asking, but it was commented on in another thread that "Tiburon" is Spanish for "Shark". So there's no shortage of jokes that can be made about taking one off Rally-X jumps.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
12/23/08 2:52 p.m.

KYB GR-2's. You'll likely want stock height or higher? If so, you may be able to slide in some 01-02 Elantra Hatchback springs on those struts for a little lift and full suspension travel.

Step up the rear sway bar with a 2003 GK (tib) bar and metal links.I think that would pretty much cover it.

Winston
Winston New Reader
12/24/08 9:09 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: KYB GR-2's.

Why? Those are just stock replacement struts. Nothing wrong with them, but they'll offer nothing special performance-wise or durability-wise. My vote for shocks that can handle some offroad abuse but won't break the bank goes to Bilstein HD's (if available for the Hyundai, didn't check that).

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Reader
12/24/08 10:55 a.m.

I would suggest they look for a hotbits setup... but it might be a bit more cash then you want to spend?

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
12/24/08 4:22 p.m.

Stock would be fine for smooth dirt roads.

Bilstein HDs are nice if you must spend some money on the suspension. (If you're serious, ring up JVAB - make sure your cellphone is fully charged - as his stuff is high quality without the high price. Only about $2k for a set of four struts and springs IIRC)

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/24/08 5:56 p.m.

I've heard that the KYB AGX struts do well in a light rally type environment

skierd
skierd Dork
12/24/08 10:43 p.m.

Koni Yellows are available and are what I wholeheartedly suggest for a tiburon if you do not plan on going custom. Springs, I'd get a set of Ground Control sleeves (pretty sure they have these for the tiburon) with one of the hundreds of OTS Eibach 2.5" race springs, only setting the sleeves so you have stock or higher than stock ride height. Can't remember if you go stiffer or softer with off-road driving.

Second set of stock wheels with good M+S rated tires, cheap winter tires work well for off-road/rally use for example.

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/24/08 11:58 p.m.

I know one thing on a sonata the hand brake operated the front wheels dunno if that applies to all of their line.

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
12/26/08 8:32 p.m.

None that I have ever seen. The only front-handbrake cars I've ever seen were older Subarus, and older SAABs.

At least, I'm fairly sure I've worked on one of everything Hyundai ever made, and before they ventured out onto their own designs, they were rehashed Mitsu and they were all conventional brake.

Not that you should need a handbrake for playing on dirt roads, anyway. Tight rallycross, maybe, but with street tires, you should have no problem getting any car to rotate in its own length...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PrHO5GQAA8h1kN75BA7oRShtuQYOVcMSA0S3vrziIins3O8enPMrgO8dMe8UF3Sp