Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica Reader
10/6/13 6:34 p.m.

About 3 years ago I sold my beloved '76 Scirocco, aptly name Mr. Yuk. Immediately after that SWMBO says something to the effect of "I always liked the car, you shouldn't have gotten rid of it." Luckily enough I live in the Pacific Northwest where things have a strange way of not rusting. Unluckily enough Mr. Yuk was bent and somebody had cut a massive hole in the roof for a cheap-o sunroof. That said, I took my Revolutions off and cut my losses with her. But, I've always kept my eyes open (and a few extra c-notes in the sock drawer) for another metal bumpered Scirocco with the roof intact.

Yesterday a rusty '75 model with an automatic in non-running condition sold for $2200. This morning I made the call. It's an early '76 Special Edition, which makes it the first automobile that VW manufactured with CIS. The 1.6l has been axed in favor of a hotted up JH from an '84 GTI/GLI which also donated it's close-ration 5 speed transmission.

It's incredibly solid. I poured over the thing looking for rust and other flaws for close to an hour, only finding a small pinhole on top of the drivers rocker panel. I came with a few spares, notably a supposedly NIB Shrick 272 and a full set of BBS RAs (which will be flipped because they're made of aluminum that is softer than playdough). I am super excited to be back in an A1 right now.

A build thread will follow. This may become Wheeler Dealers Episode 2.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/6/13 6:39 p.m.

Score and congrats

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/6/13 6:40 p.m.

well done

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/13 6:45 p.m.

I love those cars. Good get.

Woody
10/6/13 6:46 p.m.

Is that a Kamei front air dam?

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/6/13 6:57 p.m.

I can't help it. I have done A1 VWs, having had three.

I still have a soft spot for them.

Random question: I don't remember this from my '84 GTI, but the '82 Rabbit I had more recently felt like it had the steering rack out of an ocean liner... Were there variations in rack ratio between A1 models/trims?

Yes, I could google that, but it might suck me into some kind of vortex, and this is easier...

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica Reader
10/6/13 6:59 p.m.

I am pretty sure it either stock or a Zender unit.

The Kamei air dams have the, umm, hole offset of center:

Whereas the Zender (below) and Stocker are symmetrical with two on each side:

Either way, it's coming off. I can't stand the things on their own.

It's the rest of the Kamei kit that pulls that look together as seen on my buddy Brad's XP Scirocco:

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica Reader
10/6/13 7:01 p.m.

In reply to ransom:

That's a good question. I have no answer for you.

Ditchdigger to the courtesy phone, Ditchdigger to the courtesy phone.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
10/6/13 7:04 p.m.

Memory is foggy, but IIRC the only quicker racks were the power steering units out of the 84+ cabriolets and 16V sciroccos.

That info is probably wrong. It isn't something I have thought about for 4 years or so.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/6/13 7:10 p.m.

In reply to ditchdigger:

Thanks! That's something... Huh; I guess the GTI was still in my increasing hierarchy of neat vehicles, and I didn't think it had a slow rack because it handled so much better than my '75 Nova...

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/6/13 7:15 p.m.

Oh man, I love first gen Sciroccos. I had an '87 GTI 16V and always had my eyes open for a Scirocco, never found one.

Woody
10/6/13 7:20 p.m.
Mr_Estrotica wrote: Either way, it's coming off. I can't stand the things on their own. It's the rest of the Kamei kit that pulls that look together as seen on my buddy Brad's XP Scirocco:

I agree that the car would look better without it.

I do, however, miss the idea of Kamei air dams. Cars with one were special back then.

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
10/6/13 7:35 p.m.

I always liked the A1 Scirooco. It's a fun, fun car.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
10/6/13 7:35 p.m.

I bought a Kamei air dam on sale at a Euro speed shop (can't remember the name) in Atlanta 2 months BEFORE I bought the new '78 Rabbit to put it on....

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
10/6/13 7:39 p.m.

Yay yay yay for A1 Sciroccos!

And that goes double for 1976 limited editions.

We've had a few threads about them in the past, if you want to search for them.

David

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/6/13 7:58 p.m.
LopRacer wrote: I always liked the A1 Scirooco. It's a fun, fun car.

All Sciroccos in the US where A1s :D

dabird
dabird Reader
10/6/13 8:01 p.m.

yeah these are Mk1 Scirocco's and I miss mine1981 VW Scirocco

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/13 8:12 p.m.

I love Mark 1 Sciroccos. One of the best looking VWs ever

Woody
10/6/13 8:46 p.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure that someone will), but didn't some MkI Sciroccos have a single wiper and others had two?

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica Reader
10/6/13 8:58 p.m.

Yep. Single wipers from '75 to '82 IIRC. Early, early MK1 Sciroccos had two wipers. '82 is the only year of single wiper on the Mk2 Scirocco.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
10/6/13 9:10 p.m.

That's pretty much a Unicorn down here.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
10/6/13 11:30 p.m.

Thats cool, I love old Vdubs. I sold a set of 16x7RAs to a VW guy and two of them had flat spots, not bad bends but definitely an issue. The RA are light though.

Good luck keep us posted.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I5gY0EvaTefHHJ1Ad2re3k4b09SOdf8n4diOoGLIbmRdtd1QctLgaxSlL7zaWd9H