1 2 3 4
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/24/14 8:54 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson: Reverse the polarity on the battery instead. Seriously, never do this...

Starters don't turn backwards if you reverse the polarity. BTDT.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/24/14 8:59 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Trans_Maro wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson: Reverse the polarity on the battery instead. Seriously, never do this...
Starters don't turn backwards if you reverse the polarity. BTDT.

yeah, the bendix drives don't work that way.

Remove the bendix drive and you could turn it backwards, but then it would just be an electric motor.

Knurled
11/24/14 9:25 p.m.

No, I mean, reverse the polarity and the motor will still turn in the same direction.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
11/24/14 9:36 p.m.

He's right, starters always turn the same direction (all the one's I've rebuilt anyway).

The other electrical items don't seem to handle it as well.

Shawn

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/14 10:57 p.m.

Lrrr is home!

He passed everything with flying colors and came home tonight.

Work continues on the car tomorrow.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
11/24/14 11:31 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Lrrr is home! He passed everything with flying colors and came home tonight. Work continues on the car tomorrow.

Looks a little like a grey-colored Claire Danes.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
11/24/14 11:34 p.m.

Glad your kitteh is well.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
11/25/14 12:11 a.m.

Good to see da kitteh is home!

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
11/25/14 3:58 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to novaderrik: Of course! You have to say his name like Ndnd does. "LRRR!!!!"

being a cat, of course the concept of wuv confuses and infuriates him...

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
11/25/14 4:00 a.m.
Knurled wrote: No, I mean, reverse the polarity and the motor will still turn in the same direction.

How's that work? It's a DC brush motor.

Knurled
11/25/14 5:54 a.m.
Javelin wrote: He passed everything with flying colors and came home tonight.

Wasn't that the reason he went to the vet in the first place?

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
11/25/14 8:12 a.m.

Lrrr is cute. Russian blue? Hope he's doing better. I lost my last cat to the same issue, but he was 14 already when it happened. Now I have a female; larger urethra.

Edit: found a better picture of my demure Princess, the cat that crosses her paws at rest.

Javelin
11/25/14 8:34 a.m.

Lrrr, like all of my other cats, is the variety known as "pound mutt". They are all adopted from the Humane Society. He and Einstein are both very much Prussian Blue looking.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/25/14 8:43 a.m.

Now stop playing with your Bob Costas and get that crank bolt out!

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
11/26/14 9:32 p.m.

Put the car in 5th gear. Have a helper step on the brake.

Put a Snap-on 1/2" or anyone else's 3/4" breaker bar and socket on the bolt, where lifting goes to the left.

Now, use a scissor jack to raise the breaker bar. Do not put your body in the path that the breaker bar would take to spin around its pivot.

It will come off. The jack can lift 2,000 lbs, while the bar is 18" long, providing up to 3,000 lbs*ft when the jack is lifting due perpendicular to the bar.

If I don't care about the engine that much a non-HF 1/2" drive plug in electric impact will usually do the job.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/14 10:34 p.m.

If the scissor jack is on the floor, you're not going to get to 3000 lbs ft - you'll start lifting the front of the car first Interesting approach, though.

f6sk
f6sk Reader
11/27/14 8:21 a.m.

HEAT HEAT HEAT.

Heat that bad boy up until it is cherry red and then hit it with the impact or breaker bar. You have to warm it up slowly so the heat can work its way down the bolt, but it MUST get cherry red before it is through. MAP gas won't cut it. You need an acetylene torch.

Javelin
11/27/14 9:36 a.m.

It took an impact socket, 2 1/2" extensions, a jackstand, an 18" breaker bar, and the handle from my jack... but I got it out last night! (Did I mention the chain wrapped around the pulley and up around the motor mount?)

Pics in a bit, I'm going to work on it this morning.

Knurled
11/27/14 9:58 a.m.

Did you spike the bolt once it was removed? This step is crucial.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wkHhazojAZQINiUp6N4ns2IeMDSs7uyzd5t2jKRm84mCQD67cVJ5Rl86HEvZuzkl