hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/25/15 2:00 p.m.

I love helping other people spend their money or get into the car hobby, especially when they can do both at the same time. A former employee of mine has been jonesing for a classic roadster for some time and ever so often I would send him links to ads on CL, here or eBay ads. Well yesterday afternoon I saw an ad on the Tampa CL for a 64 Austin-Healey Sprite MK3 that looked very interesting. I'd post the ad but the seller already took it down.

I sent the link to my buddy then called him and found out he was on a sales trip in New Jersey but was flying home tonight. He checked out the ad, forwarded it to his wife then called me back and said "so, what are you doing tomorrow morning?" He picked me up at 9 AM and we drove to see the car in some seriously crappy weather.

Seller had is covered and parked outside so we both got soaked checking it out. The car fired right up and idled well. The body is very straight and with my trusty magnet we went over almost all the body panels. I didn't expect it to be perfect for what the owner was asking but it really was in very good shape. Floor panels are solid and the metal all feels good except maybe for the passenger side rocker. The drivers front wheel well inner liner where it meets the floor will need some repair but nothing crazy. Most of the chrome is there and while it has no top it does have a tonneau. Seats need recovering but have a cool red tartan center panel which I like but my buddy may change out.

After checking out the car we went and grabbed breakfast and discussed goals, pitfalls, rationale, etc. and I made him promise to not hate me for saying this was a good solid starter for a first project car. His wife was game so we went back and bought it. I know I'm getting old though as we made the call not to drive the car 20 miles home in the rain with no top and no wipers and a bit of a misfire (he has been warned about Lucas). He has AAA so we just called and had it flat bedded to his house. Free and easy.

I'm looking forward to helping him get started on this and hope that I steering him right on this first project.

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
7/25/15 2:35 p.m.

Great that you did that. A corollary to that question: I have AAA and wanted to have a (unlicensed) purchase towed home. I was told by the towing company that it had to be registered and street legal (in PA that means inspected and insured). I should have asked another towing place but ended up trailering it home myself. Did your friend get it tagged first? my plan would be to hold off on getting a title in my name but registering later; in PA you do not at least have to register a car that's off the road being restored .

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/25/15 2:40 p.m.

Yeah, that can be an issue. FL doesn't have a state inspection and the car had a current tag (sellers) so the tow guy didn't give my buddy a problem. He did mention that policy though.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
7/25/15 3:13 p.m.

That is 100% the towing company being a dick. Greeting the tow truck driver with a twenty in your hand ensures no hassles and white glove service.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
7/27/15 11:50 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: That is 100% the towing company being a dick. Greeting the tow truck driver with a twenty in your hand ensures no hassles and white glove service.

This.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/27/15 12:31 p.m.

Worthless without pictures.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/27/15 12:55 p.m.

Funny, I called a fellow board member a "BERKELYING ENABLER" just yesterday. Discussion came up of, how his wife drive a Saturn SL1 before they met. When I met them, she was driving a Miata, (That rotates REALLY well, just ask her) She then moved up to a Cobb stage 2 WRX. Then some azzhat plowed into it in the middle of the night and she ended up with a WRX wagon to replace it. Yesterday we were bringing home a Mini Cooper S for her to daily. Funny thing is that the grin on her face gets bigger the faster she goes.

Enablers... Ya'll come in all shapes and sizes.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/27/15 1:48 p.m.
shadetree30 wrote: Great that you did that. A corollary to that question: I have AAA and wanted to have a (unlicensed) purchase towed home. I was told by the towing company that it had to be registered and street legal (in PA that means inspected and insured). I should have asked another towing place but ended up trailering it home myself. Did your friend get it tagged first? my plan would be to hold off on getting a title in my name but registering later; in PA you do not at least have to register a car that's off the road being restored .

This is extremely relevant to my interests as well.

I am buying a '96 Cherokee this week, doing the title transfer tonight (but not registering it yet, needs rust repair on the floorboards and the brake system re-plumbed), and planning to rent a trailer/borrow a truck to haul it home on Saturday. I have AAA and hadn't even thought to use that to have it towed home, although I think I only get 7 miles free at my membership level or something like that and the trip is probably 25-30 miles total. I was quoted about $140-150 for a flatbed (not through AAA) and it looks like about $55 for a UHaul trailer, but if AAA would at least be close to the trailer in cost it might make it worthwhile to avoid my time and hassle in the process. I am also located in PA, for what it's worth.

So I guess my question for shadetree30 is would they not tow it period because it was unregistered, or would AAA not tow it because of that?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/15 2:04 p.m.

I've used AAA to repossess a car, and also to drag home this carcass.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
547wHpbLFDYT5RtAo4FHTOYsTXJurPZzND3F5AVepOZrDDfe6qokF45MzD9gJJTi