1 2
toad9977
toad9977 New Reader
7/9/12 5:49 p.m.

So a friend was selling his '84 944 and I managed to talk him down to $500. It needs a clutch and probably a tuneup since it's been sitting for 1 1/2 years now. Now my biggest dilemma is not knowing if I just want to get it running and drive it or if I want to go crazy and drop in an LS motor. Hmm, decision decisions.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/9/12 6:04 p.m.

Honestly it's probably cheaper to swap in an LS1 than do the clutch...

mw
mw Dork
7/9/12 7:31 p.m.

Before spending any money on it just send it to be crushed. That will be the cheapest Porsche ownership experience ever.

M030
M030 HalfDork
7/9/12 7:33 p.m.

Lt1 swaps are cheap these days. If you need any parts, I am a bit of a E36 M3box 944 hoarder..

ptmeyer84
ptmeyer84 New Reader
7/9/12 7:40 p.m.

If there is no rust, and the interior is decent shape, I would keep it and do an LS swap.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/9/12 10:46 p.m.

i'd do the clutch and timing belt and oil seals, then drive the wheels off it. the clutch job is only expensive if you farm it out, and regardless of what anyone says, the v8 swap is a lot more work than a clutch change.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
7/10/12 5:05 a.m.

The 944 is galvanized, so rust is less likely than many other cars.
The 2.5L engine is pretty durable with decent horsepower.
And the gearbox is in the rear, so you'd have to figure out how to work that out too.
If you decide to do an engine and trans swap, you'd have to decide on rear suspension and final drive.

I'd do the clutch and drive it as is.

ddavidv
ddavidv UberDork
7/10/12 6:07 a.m.

Make it run, sell it to these guys, profit. Spec 944

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
7/10/12 6:21 a.m.

Run it at the Challenge. Or Lemons. Or Chump. or all three?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
7/10/12 6:24 a.m.

If it's an 89 it's the rare 2.7L version of the 8V with more power. Nice engine, keep it, get it working and love it.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
7/10/12 6:25 a.m.

Actualy, forget that, I'll give you $501 for it, instant 2% profit. Where are you? :)

njansenv
njansenv Dork
7/10/12 6:39 a.m.
aeronca65t wrote: The 944 is galvanized, so rust is less likely than many other cars. The 2.5L engine is pretty durable with decent horsepower. And the gearbox is in the rear, so you'd have to figure out how to work that out too. If you decide to do an engine and trans swap, you'd have to decide on rear suspension and final drive. I'd do the clutch and drive it as is.

Most V8 engine swaps use the porsche transaxle. It's one of the benefits of starting with the 944 (or 996)- no need to locate a $$$ T56.

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer HalfDork
7/10/12 7:20 a.m.

I bought a $600.00 944 a while back. I cleaned it up a bit. Then later sold it for a modest profit. The buyer seemed happy.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
7/10/12 7:35 a.m.
njansenv wrote: Most V8 engine swaps use the porsche transaxle. It's one of the benefits of starting with the 944 (or 996)- no need to locate a $$$ T56.

That would greatly simplify things.
But how does the clutch and front of the driveshaft work in that setup?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
7/10/12 7:37 a.m.

Add turbo Audi 5 cylinder.

njansenv
njansenv Dork
7/10/12 7:43 a.m.
aeronca65t wrote:
njansenv wrote: Most V8 engine swaps use the porsche transaxle. It's one of the benefits of starting with the 944 (or 996)- no need to locate a $$$ T56.
That would greatly simplify things. But how does the clutch and front of the driveshaft work in that setup?

The details can be found http://www.texasperformanceconcepts.com/ Basically, adapter and "custom" clutch between the LS1 and driveshaft, mounts for the LS1. Where can I learn more about the Audi 20v swap? My googlefu is weak on that one....

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/10/12 8:01 a.m.

IF the car is otherwise clean then fix it. I do clutch jobs by removing the motor.

If the car has service records then that is worth something. 944's are never going to win any drag races where they shine is in the corners and braking. A real fun weekend track toy. Ohya if you are going to track it address the oiling issue with the #2 bearing. An accusump is your friend.

Other than that get it running and drive it. Fun cars.

Clarks Garage is a great resource for How To's

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/10/12 8:16 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Run it at the Challenge. Or Lemons. Or Chump. or all three?

You forgot the babe rally.

...and why isn't anybody talking about a Subie swap? Don't those motors mate up to porsche transaxles well? (Paging JThw8)

Also, where are the pictures of this porsche?

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
7/10/12 8:17 a.m.
njansenv wrote: The details can be found http://www.texasperformanceconcepts.com/ Basically, adapter and "custom" clutch between the LS1 and driveshaft, mounts for the LS1.

Ah. Thanks.
I assumed it might require some custom, trick parts, but did not know for sure. I'd still keep the regular engine (and yes, especially that 2.7L), but that would make a V8 swap much easier.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
7/10/12 8:21 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Add turbo Audi 5 cylinder.

our Porsches have been much more reliable than the Audi we had.....are you trying to send him to a mental institution?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
7/10/12 8:21 a.m.
njansenv wrote:
aeronca65t wrote:
That would greatly simplify things. But how does the clutch and front of the driveshaft work in that setup?
The details can be found http://www.texasperformanceconcepts.com/ Basically, adapter and "custom" clutch between the LS1 and driveshaft, mounts for the LS1. Where can I learn more about the Audi 20v swap? My googlefu is weak on that one....

IIRC the Audi engine bolts up to the 944 transaxle.

The_Jed
The_Jed HalfDork
7/10/12 8:33 a.m.

Drop in a bone yard 350 with a five speed hung on it AND retain the Porsche transaxle...LOTSA GEARZ!!!!!!

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
7/10/12 9:05 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
tuna55 wrote: Run it at the Challenge. Or Lemons. Or Chump. or all three?
You forgot the babe rally. ...and why isn't anybody talking about a Subie swap? Don't those motors mate up to porsche transaxles well? (Paging JThw8) Also, where are the pictures of this porsche?

I am not talking about engine swaps because he's already at the $ limit for most of those events! Good call on BABE.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/10/12 9:05 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: ...and why isn't anybody talking about a Subie swap? Don't those motors mate up to porsche transaxles well? (Paging JThw8)

That's for the flat-6 and flat-4 Porsches, no good on the inline-4 924/944/968 or the V8 928.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/10/12 9:17 a.m.
Javelin wrote:
JoeyM wrote: ...and why isn't anybody talking about a Subie swap? Don't those motors mate up to porsche transaxles well? (Paging JThw8)
That's for the flat-6 and flat-4 Porsches, no good on the inline-4 924/944/968 or the V8 928.

Thanks for the clarification

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3NJPSLNPGEq1buMrCBynO3widGV0yluvd32kfzpeeq13gVBapQED2QXZpCS8dl4H