1 2 3 4
paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
12/15/17 11:31 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I have the golf tee.  I thought it was used when lining up your tool bit on the lathe in order to cut threads on a shaft using the lathe.   

How would it be used for that?

I’m not being a smarty pants, I genuinely don’t know.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
12/15/17 5:16 p.m.

PM sent about a few things...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/17 6:50 p.m.
NorseDave said:

PM sent about a few things...

PM'd you about not getting your PM.

Woody
12/15/17 7:03 p.m.

I have finally sorted through the entire box. After tossing out all of the bits of dust, cardboard and paper scraps, I have condensed the remaining unidentifiable scraps down to this little 5"x5" container.

I came across a few little oddities as I closed in on the bottom of the cardboard box. At this point, I was using a magnet to get all of the really tiny bits up through the dust and lint.

The penny caught my eye, as it had two edges that were crushed and misshapen. I suspect that it was placed into a press or forge of some sort and used to measure the adjustment.

To the left of the penny is one of those little googly eyes that you can find glued to the face of a cheap kids toy. I laughed because it seemed so far out of place among so many serious precision machinist's tools.

And then there was that little white thing...I thought it was just a piece of garbage or maybe a scrap of chalk, but when I went to toss it in the trash, I noticed something really weird: It's unusually heavy. Hmmm....

None of the sides are machined. It looks like some kind of poured slug. It's not magnetic and it doesn't look like lead. I'm not sure exactly what it is, and I don't really know how to find out, but it seems worth investigating. I just hope it's not radioactive!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/15/17 8:38 p.m.

In reply to paranoid_android :

We were taught how to cut Acme threads on a lathe. The lathe tool bit fits in the V to help you grind your bit properly. On the lathe you make a few passes going in deeper each time.  I guess this is how you would cut threads on a large shaft.   There was an automatic feed on our lathe to move it down the shaft   

10:40 shows the bit gauge   

10:40

Not sure if I helped.  

I made one of those machinist puzzles in high school when learning how to cut threads.  

zordak
zordak Reader
12/16/17 8:54 p.m.

The "golf tee" is a small punch for use in a die to punch a hole in a sheet of something(metal, plastic,leather etc) The angle plate on the stool was likely made by the toolmaker. It is used to make a block of material exactly square. As to value the previous pst of about 1/2 of retail is a good guide. Congrats on the find, anything less than $500. for the box and you got a great deal, $500 or there about is a good deal. The plastic tub is just random pieces used to create the tooling the po made to support himself and his family.

Woody
12/16/17 9:09 p.m.
zordak said:

The angle plate on the stool was likely made by the toolmaker. It is used to make a block of material exactly square.

That's interesting. I found a very tiny note that may have his design plans for that block on it. I'll have to take a closer look.

Woody
12/16/17 9:41 p.m.
Woody said:
zordak said:

The angle plate on the stool was likely made by the toolmaker. It is used to make a block of material exactly square.

That's interesting. I found a very tiny note that may have his design plans for that block on it. I'll have to take a closer look.

Well, maybe not the plans for this block, but he probably did built this and something similar.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/17/17 10:21 a.m.

Woody,

For the slug of unknown material, you could do the test of volume and weight to get the density, then look it up by density.

If it seems heavier than lead, it may be tungsten.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
2/4/18 4:53 p.m.

A great find and no doubt a great deal... and yet, I can only imagine the old machinist's thoughts when told, "after you die, your daughter will sell this stuff for very little to someone who doesn't know what some of it is." I know you're just sharing your happy find, but it does make me wonder how my wife would handle selling a lot of my stuff...

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
2/4/18 4:57 p.m.
kb58 said:

A great find and no doubt a great deal... and yet, I can only imagine the old machinist's thoughts when told, "after you die, your daughter will sell this stuff for very little to someone who doesn't know what some of it is." I know you're just sharing your happy find, but it does make me wonder how my wife would handle selling a lot of my stuff...

Probably like mine........ Y'all just come and get this E36M3.... frown

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o6d8OlFEiFyBlYqCqlEQtQbNbFrbJqHNushdWM4r9RIlZLETNlNfowot7DT2JhSJ