1 2 3 4
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/13/17 6:49 a.m.

The donut is a set ring for an inside mic.  You can barely make out 1.999 at 12o/c.  The golf tee could be a transfer punch, look at the tip opposite the tee, see it there's a hard point. 

Parts on the stool, that little guy with a pin sticking up at 45' is a scribe for drawing long straight lines if it has a hard pointy tip, if it has an industrial diamond it's for dressing the stone wheel of a surface grinder.

Called a Last Word Indicator.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/13/17 6:59 a.m.

Yep, combination square.  You paint a surface with lay-out blue, a thin liquid that dries a dark royal blue.  You use the square to lay down lines that you cut up to or near depending on tolerance.  That tiny knob on the 90' guy without the ruler pulls out and is used to scratch lines along the ruler.

Use the one with the ruler in it to find the center of a round bar.  As she sits, lay it on the end of bar, use a soda can.  Have the can sit in the crotch of the Vee, then run a pencil along the side of the ruler.  Turn the can inside the vee and do it again, OK, three times.

Viola', you found the center.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
12/13/17 11:54 a.m.

Damn.  What a find.  I could use, like, 80% of that stuff.  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/13/17 12:04 p.m.
914Driver said:

Yep, combination square.  You paint a surface with lay-out blue, a thin liquid that dries a dark royal blue.  You use the square to lay down lines that you cut up to or near depending on tolerance.  That tiny knob on the 90' guy without the ruler pulls out and is used to scratch lines along the ruler.

Use the one with the ruler in it to find the center of a round bar.  As she sits, lay it on the end of bar, use a soda can.  Have the can sit in the crotch of the Vee, then run a pencil along the side of the ruler.  Turn the can inside the vee and do it again, OK, three times.

Viola', you found the center.

Deja vu!!  cheeky

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/13/17 12:05 p.m.
Woody said:

I don't know what this stuff is. The golf tee is puzzling to me.

The donut shaped thing is a go-no go gage for a bored hole or turned feature. The pointy piece to the right is a thread gauge, the two bottom pieces are likely angle gages made for some specific job (or since he was a torrington employee, perhaps a go/no go gage for bearing angles. The golf tee is also liekly a go no go gage for a rilled/reamed hole.

RXBeetle
RXBeetle Reader
12/13/17 12:45 p.m.
Jumper K Balls said:
Woody said:

Some form of 1-2-3 block on the right. The piece on the left with the swivel arm is a dial indicator holder to be used on a granite block for ultr precision measuring. Upper middle is a random shop made fixture. Lathe stop perhaps? The clampy thing with threads inside is to set a quick depth limit on the quill of a mill. In the center is countersink/deburrers

I'm pretty sure the top middle is used to dress the wheel of a surface grinder. Check for a diamond tip.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/17 3:39 p.m.

I plan on keeping the small vise, the small square and the rulers, but beyond that, I don't see much that I really need.

If anybody sees something that they can use, make me an offer.

Woody
12/13/17 3:42 p.m.

I also have a whole bunch of center drills too.

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
12/13/17 4:18 p.m.
Woody said:

I don't know what this stuff is. The golf tee is puzzling to me.

The round thing strikes me as being a ring gage.  If there were a second one it could be a go-no go gage set.  It could also be a taper gage- I've used those before.

The flex rules are da bomb, I love those things!

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/13/17 7:01 p.m.

I would love to get the reams and lathe cutting tools. The dial indicator holder and indicator set would be great.

Let me know what you would like to send those items to 28078. They would compliment the starter set of tooling I already have.

Sending a PM too

Woody
12/13/17 9:51 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

PM received. I'll do an inventory tomorrow and drop you a note.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
12/14/17 9:37 a.m.

The micrometers (at least the small and medium ones) and the depth mic are of interest to me. I have no idea what they're worth though. Do they have PNs on them?

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
12/14/17 10:09 a.m.

This piques my curiosity as I have a set of engine overhaul tools that I have no idea what they are worth.

Woody
12/14/17 11:15 a.m.
The0retical said:

The micrometers (at least the small and medium ones) and the depth mic are of interest to me. I have no idea what they're worth though. Do they have PNs on them?

The depth mic is a Starrett 445.

The large and medium micrometers are Starrett 436. The small one is a Brown and Sharpe 13.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/14/17 11:15 a.m.
iceracer said:

This piques my curiosity as I have a set of engine overhaul tools that I have no idea what they are worth.

General rule of thumb is half of new.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/14/17 11:34 a.m.

I have the golf tee.  I thought it was used when lining up your tool bit on the lathe in order to cut threads on a shaft using the lathe.   

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
12/14/17 11:39 a.m.

Sent you a PM for the micrometers. Forgot to ask if there were additional anvils or calibration bars that you ran across or not (I have no idea if the 436's came with them or not)

The depth mic seems like it'd be worth a bit more than I can justify right this minute for something I would only use in rare instances since I don't really overhaul engines too often anymore.

Woody
12/14/17 7:24 p.m.
914Driver said:
iceracer said:

General rule of thumb is half of new.

I would gladly sell any of this stuff for half the price of new, and I'll cover the cost of shipping.

Woody
12/14/17 7:25 p.m.

I also found another Brown & Sharpe depth micrometer.

Woody
12/14/17 8:28 p.m.

The Stones.

Woody
12/14/17 8:29 p.m.

Four vials of Magic Dust.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/17 8:37 p.m.

I bought a deceased machinists tools in one shot.  4 boxes full.  I’ve made my $ back in 3 ebay lots and still have most of it left, i’m mostly keeping the drills/taps/reamers for me.  Think you’re going to be fine

4u2nvjoe
4u2nvjoe GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/15/17 8:49 a.m.

The real take away here, is what these tools must have 'seen'. As a young wannabe toolmaker; I get giddy about this kind of stuff. The cool thing about this box of stuff is this man likely made most of these tool himself. A tool/die maker is considered highly skilled in the art of precision metal working. They tend to make their own tools that fit their own style, and method of doing things. Also, especially these days, one can make a tool with greater precision than one that can be purchased from a production line. From the looks of it, this man did a fair amount of grinding; an almost lost art that produces utmost precision and surface finish.

PM me if you need anything identified. I would also be interested in a few of these items.

Woody
12/15/17 8:53 a.m.

In reply to 4u2nvjoe :

There was also a letter to him in from the Patent Office in the box, so he held at least one patent.

4u2nvjoe
4u2nvjoe GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/15/17 10:27 a.m.
Woody said:

In reply to 4u2nvjoe :

There was also a letter to him in from the Patent Office in the box, so he held at least one patent.

That's awesome. He probably forgot more, than I'll ever know.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ngL3TP4CvvyBz4lZCTglRAh0TWuvFi4f6lO6mwZzBDtjCZQJ9Z2AGtezRNBKmAsY