RoughandReady
RoughandReady HalfDork
7/23/14 10:28 p.m.

It's a pile of junk, but I'm happy.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/23/14 10:33 p.m.

So you're not going to post pics of your junk? Tease.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady HalfDork
7/23/14 11:01 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: So you're not going to post pics of your junk? Tease.

I will eventually. I bought it in the middle of nowhere, about 3 miles from the TN line. $340 bucks and the PO towed it 30 minutes to my buddy's house out in the sticks (but the part of the sticks that's way closer to me.)

It's an 83 2WD long bed. White with gold cheesy 80's graphics. 4 speed, Rusty bed, pretty clean cab, clean frame. Has been sitting in a tobacco house for ten years with the 22R next to it on a bench. Threw a rod back in '05. Has brake controls, guess it was someone's tow rig.

I'm going to use it as a test bed for Toyota parts I want to sell. High comp pistons, I'm having cams ground, valve train parts, carb kits, headers, brakes, suspension, etc.

It will eventually get a 22RE turbo made up from a kit we're putting together to sell.

Should be lots of fun.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/23/14 11:16 p.m.

this thread is salient to my interests....

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
7/23/14 11:39 p.m.

Spraybomb it yellow, track down a white fiberglass camper shell, build a gofast YO.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
7/24/14 7:11 a.m.

Piles of junk are fun until someone decides to berkeley with you on the highway and blocks you in the entrance/exit lane until you had to take a different way this morning because you weren't fast enough and someone was being a dick.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
7/24/14 7:19 a.m.

So basically this, but a lot crappier?

Plus cheesy 80s graphics are awesome.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/24/14 8:20 a.m.

I was looking at some older Datsun/Toyota/Mazda trucks down that way. How big a pile is it?

...and too bad you're not closer. I'd give you an almost new tire on my old Toyota truck rim and some other parts...

RoughandReady
RoughandReady HalfDork
7/24/14 8:35 a.m.
stan wrote: I was looking at some older Datsun/Toyota/Mazda trucks down that way. How big a pile is it? ...and too bad you're not closer. I'd give you an almost new tire on my old Toyota truck rim and some other parts...

It really isn't that bad. Southern standards for rust are pretty high. haha. floors are good, front end is good. There's only rust on the driver's side, which is strange. Maybe a 2x2" holein the driver's rocker, and two larger holes in the side of the bed. One whole in the bed itself near the tail gate. The front of the hood has some cancer. There's tons of surface rust from sitting for so long. I think after the 1/4" of barn dirt is pressure washed away, it'll look OK.

Somehow the brakes aren't locked up and the engine still turns over. The interior has been covered in shag pile house carpet scraps, which is full of mold and needs to be burned. Bench seat is gone and has been replaced by Datsun Z car seats (I think 280).

The weirdest thing is that the center section is rusting out of the rim on the rear wheels. I've never seen that before. I bed a good thwack with a hammer would knock the rim off.

Toyota trucks are worth good money down here, regardless of condition. I would wager its a $1000 truck if it were in town and I just got lucky that it was out in the boonies. Here, rednecks and hippies alike love their Toyotas.

I think I'm going to pitch most of the front end and replace it with 89-95 stuff and maybe further upgrade the brakes from there with bigger calipers and a larger booster. I've never been in a old yoder that would stop worth a damn. For stage I of our plan, we're going to throw in a hot carbed street/trail engine in front of the 4 speed (I've heard the 4 has closer ratios than the 5 that replaced it). Not sure if the 4 speed is worth anything either, it's a heavy ass iron case box.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady HalfDork
7/24/14 6:50 p.m.

Original plan to get the Yoder home has failed. AAA says my buddy has grossy abused his account. No more tows. Ugh. I'm paying a friend of a friend to tow it back tonight. My "cheap junker" is quickly approaching $500 already.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ufMXpLzZty8RRZrT58wGOEZ2RZTOwd7UoMaO6c2CnrvckeiJ6Ggx4NytcIifM5hj