1 2
Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/08 10:16 a.m.

Under that hood is an LS1 with a cam, headwork, valvetrain upgrade, intake stuff and 30k miles. T56 with a shifter. The car's caged, has a limited slip rear, Borla exhaust and lord knows what else. It also came with two spare oil pans, a spare oil pump and a brand new OBX header. Purchased from a GRM reader too! He races a GTO in American Iron.

This car is going to die. It's my drivetrain for the MGB GT. Heh heh heh.

pigeon
pigeon Reader
11/10/08 10:22 a.m.

That's just wrong, taking a perfectly good race car and castrating it like that. I say grow a mullet (your Canadian anyway...) crank up some Rush on the stereo (ditto) and enjoy it as is, and find a junkyard motor for the MGB GT.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/10/08 10:25 a.m.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
11/10/08 10:45 a.m.

you know the crowd on ls1tech will kill you if you post that up there. Taking a perfectly good 4th gen f-body with low miles and destroying it....I don't even know what to say to you....

Keith
11/10/08 10:48 a.m.

Castrating it? I'm going to make it 1000 lbs lighter with independent suspension and better handling. Sounds like an upgrade to me!

I paid as much for the whole car as I was expecting to pay for an engine and transmission. Add in the fact that now I have a full wiring harness, a high-pressure fuel system, instruments and a bunch of random bits and pieces (even a battery) for my swap and I can sell a whole lot of parts (OBX headers for that car go for about $400 for example) and it makes a lot more sense than a junkyard engine. Besides, this way I can test-drive my engine and transmission.

The engine has 30k since the rebuild, the transmission and chassis has 90k on it. And there's bondo in at least one fender. I didn't pay a lot of attention to the car itself as that's not my interest, but it's not cherry. If the LSTech crowd doesn't like it, they either need to drive up the prices of their cars or drop the prices on their engines! This car is worth more dead than alive.

The guy I bought it from picked it up for the same reason I did - it was a good price for the engine and transmission. He decided it was too good a car to take apart. I, on the other hand, do not suffer from this moral failing.

alex
alex Reader
11/10/08 11:01 a.m.

Camaros must die! Do eet!

I say the number of purists pissed off per project should be accounted into the success of any build. Call it the POP - which is shorter for PPOPP - Index. We, especially, should be keeping track of this sort of thing.

Keith
11/10/08 11:44 a.m.

I'm going to piss off the MG purists with my plans for upgrading the suspension as well, no doubt. Equal opportunity offensiveness!

914Driver
914Driver Dork
11/10/08 11:45 a.m.

Would you mind PMing me pics once in a while? There's a BGT nearby I've been coveting for this very swap.

Thanx, Dan

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
11/10/08 11:51 a.m.

I didn't know Dillard's sold those.

Keith
11/10/08 12:15 p.m.

Dude, they've got everything My wife not only demands her MGB make unnatural noises and do improbable things, she also requires a visit to the big malls when we go to Denver.

The whole thing will be documented at http://www.slowcarfast.com/MG .

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/10/08 12:31 p.m.

Keith, how did you convince the wife she needed an MGB? I want to pick up a rotary-powered Datsun Roadster but I already have my allotment of cars...

mtn
mtn Dork
11/10/08 12:33 p.m.
P71 wrote: Keith, how did you convince the wife she needed an MGB? I want to pick up a rotary-powered Datsun Roadster but I already have my allotment of cars...

This really is quite an achievement, what did you drug her with?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/10/08 12:40 p.m.

At least a ballpark price pretty please? I've been lusting after an LS1/T56 to put in something.

Keith
11/10/08 12:43 p.m.

I didn't convince her, she announced that she needed "a cool little black car that makes a big noise". This was after meeting a V8 MGB GT at the track that she enjoyed seeing and hearing. That particular car made the noise, but had more mouth than trousers. Still, it made her realize that something was missing from her life and I was ordered to rectify the problem. Apparently she needed a "fun car". I have lots of "fun cars", she does not. Her turbo Miata is not a "fun car", it's a "track car". At least, this is how it was explained to me. You can imagine how much I protested.

$4500 for the big black critter, including the header, oil pans and other paraphernalia. I figure I should be able to sell off at least $2500 worth of stuff out of this car, making my LS1/T56 more affordable.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/10/08 12:49 p.m.

That's a phenomenal deal. Depending on how much time you want to spend parting it down, I bet you recoup more than $2500.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
11/10/08 1:44 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: you know the crowd on ls1tech will kill you if you post that up there. Taking a perfectly good 4th gen f-body with low miles and destroying it....I don't even know what to say to you....

I think the word is "Kudos".

pigeon
pigeon Reader
11/10/08 1:46 p.m.

Keith, I didn't think you'd take the mullett jibe so seriously! Sarcasm is so difficult to do on the intrawebs. For the record, I WAS JOKING!!! and I'm happy there will be one fewer ugly F-bodies (yeah, redundant) on the road, especially since it'll give an MGB GT a heart of pure evil genius!

Keith
11/10/08 1:50 p.m.

When I was growing up, we called a mullet "hockey hair". Gotta let it hang out the back of the helmet, you know...

We are planning to register the car for a bit more drive time before it all comes apart. Those tires aren't going to destroy themselves, you know.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
11/10/08 1:59 p.m.

f you to all you f-body haters. Ya'll talk crap about the cars yet you want the hearts from them....wierd

It'll be cool to see what you are doing to the MG but I just hate seeing a perfectly good f-body get destroyed.

amaff
amaff HalfDork
11/10/08 2:04 p.m.

Consider it "liberating the engine" rather than castrating the Camaro ;)

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/08 2:07 p.m.

Dirtybird, you sir are a dumbass... If we don't talk the cars down, people will realize they are awesome and then we could never to steal them from dumbasses who think they are not cool because we convinced them Hondas and Miatas were the best cars ever.

STOP TELLING EVERYONE F BODIES ARE GREAT!

(all previous insults are meant to humorous)

mtn
mtn Dork
11/10/08 2:12 p.m.
Keith wrote: When I was growing up, we called a mullet "hockey hair". Gotta let it hang out the back of the helmet, you know...
Slapshot wrote: McGrath: I got a good deal on those boys. The scouts said they showed a lot of promise. Reggie Dunlop: They brought their berkeleyin' TOYS with 'em!
Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/10/08 2:35 p.m.

Hey, if you are gonna destroy it do it right! Maybe enter one of those rollover contests... it already has a cage and you'd be sure to pick up extra points just for not having a COMPLETE turd to turn into tin popcorn. Be sure to post plenty of pics!

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
11/10/08 6:13 p.m.

JmfnB.....as the great Bartholomew says "eat my shorts."

You can always sell the roller for a good $1-2k. And there is a horrible f-body theft ring in the the state of Louisiana....it's like owning a Honda here in Central Florida.

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/08 6:17 p.m.

There is a pretty bad Michigan theft problem with any FBody CiViC or DSM lately.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eJihlorejA9hqNLrxR01DvlLpjPrzSe3xgn986sJq5L5yy7g7x13lte496VE2DyT