1 2
Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/08 6:25 p.m.

I'm open to selling the leftovers as a roller if I can find a buyer. I'll probably advertise it like that to start. If it gets to the point where I've stripped the car and all I have left is a shell, I'll offer that up for free. I'm not wired for needless destruction, so there will be no sledgehammers or rollover contests.

What does it mean when a car's engine is worth more than the car it's in?

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
11/10/08 7:51 p.m.
Keith wrote: What does it mean when a car's engine is worth more than the car it's in?

The same thing is apparently almost true of E46 BMW sedans. A couple of weeks ago one of my co-workers managed to ingest water into the intake of hers. The insurance company says the car is worth ~$15k, and the BMW place wanted roughly that to put a new engine in it.

She offered it to me as a project (after I suggested she buy a used M3 engine for it), but I've already got one too many projects.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Please feel free to resume your mullet madness.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/10/08 8:14 p.m.
billy3esq wrote:
Keith wrote: What does it mean when a car's engine is worth more than the car it's in?
The same thing is apparently almost true of E46 BMW sedans. A couple of weeks ago one of my co-workers managed to ingest water into the intake of hers. The insurance company says the car is worth ~$15k, and the BMW place wanted roughly that to put a new engine in it. She offered it to me as a project (after I suggested she buy a used M3 engine for it), but I've already got one too many projects. Sorry for the thread hijack. Please feel free to resume your mullet madness.

Ok-you know better-what year, how much, etc...

Treb
Treb New Reader
11/10/08 8:27 p.m.

Pics of the motor, already!

As ugly as that F-body is, show us the good bits!

Matt --MG Driver, not MG purist.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
11/10/08 8:55 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
billy3esq wrote:
The same thing is apparently almost true of E46 BMW sedans. ... She offered it to me as a project ....

'04 330i sedan. Don't know the mileage on the chassis, but it's probably above average; she has a long commute. Salvage price of the car was $2800 or $2900 (what the insurance company would sell it back to her for). I don't remember the quote for the engine work (from the stealership), but it was within a grand or so of what she was paid for the total loss.

The good part of the story is she bought a gently used 335i (from her mom), which she let me drive to lunch today. Awesome car.

Sorry for the hijack again, but this one is Mr. Joshua's fault.

NOHOME
NOHOME New Reader
11/10/08 9:47 p.m.

kEITH:

They go it wrong. LS1 tech is gonna LOVE this! Just have to post in the right forum:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/

For the record, you are my hero with this swap. I have a 67 GT that I am bored with after 30 years and figure it needs at least a 302. I will be following this with interest.

For what it is worth, I would swap the T56 for a T5 seeing as gears are going to be redundant with all that torque plus the fact that the T56 is a huge beast when you see it inside an MGB.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/08 10:51 p.m.

Oh, thanks. That's my forum then :)

I've thought about the T5, and I've driven an LS1/T56 Miata. Yes, there are too many gears. But you just skip around them, and I find I'm always using different ones. I might skip 3rd one time, but the next it'll be 4th. On the track, they'll all come in handy.

I've been led to understand that T5s don't inherently like that much power but can be built to take it. I have to say that a big appeal of my Single Donor Concept is that it'll make it really easy to make work. No matter what the driveline question is, the answer will be "1998 Camaro". I have a T56, so I'll give that a shot first. If it doesn't work, I'll look at a smaller box.

Pictures of the engine will be forthcoming the next time I get a chance to take pictures during the day. Holy cow is that engine a long way back in the bay. The nose of the car is about 15 feet long, and still the rear four cylinders are under the dashboard.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
11/10/08 10:58 p.m.
Keith wrote: I'm open to selling the leftovers as a roller if I can find a buyer. I'll probably advertise it like that to start. If it gets to the point where I've stripped the car and all I have left is a shell, I'll offer that up for free. I'm not wired for needless destruction, so there will be no sledgehammers or rollover contests...

If you get to that piont and need the cage to go away, lemme know, I'm in C Springs

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
11/11/08 8:53 a.m.
billy3esq wrote:
MrJoshua wrote:
billy3esq wrote:
The same thing is apparently almost true of E46 BMW sedans. ... She offered it to me as a project ....
'04 330i sedan. Don't know the mileage on the chassis, but it's probably above average; she has a long commute. Salvage price of the car was $2800 or $2900 (what the insurance company would sell it back to her for). I don't remember the quote for the engine work (from the stealership), but it was within a grand or so of what she was paid for the total loss. The good part of the story is she bought a gently used 335i (from her mom), which she let me drive to lunch today. Awesome car. Sorry for the hijack again, but this one is Mr. Joshua's fault.

Wow - LS powered '04 330i FTMFW!

Treb
Treb New Reader
11/11/08 9:20 a.m.
Keith wrote: Pictures of the engine will be forthcoming the next time I get a chance to take pictures during the day. Holy cow is that engine a long way back in the bay. The nose of the car is about 15 feet long, and still the rear four cylinders are under the dashboard.

Talked to a guy at an autox a while ago who drove an f-body like this one.

We compared service times -- I could put a new head gasket on my MG faster than he could change plugs in his LS1.

Asking for pictures of the engine might have been a trick question!

Matt

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
11/11/08 1:18 p.m.
16vCorey wrote:
DirtyBird222 wrote: you know the crowd on ls1tech will kill you if you post that up there. Taking a perfectly good 4th gen f-body with low miles and destroying it....I don't even know what to say to you....
I think the word is "Kudos".

+1. As for the purists, as Uncle Matt always says: "Berkeley 'em and feed 'em fish-heads."

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4xGYs16s2T9a4zDsQGCxVQNxshgReVqXn7mwbwGpEJL3JAh4wUc7FyjaSMyK23JJ