1 2 3
Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/16/20 4:23 p.m.

Barchetta'd! 

scales say 1900 even without deleting the drivers and passengers windows regulators and motors. No crazy bolts yet. No cf trunk lid yet. 1900 exactly lol. Unbelievable! It feels sick to sit in and visibility is insane. Looks really good. We're gonna find out if the law likes it! 

2zz turbo should make good power and motivate that 1900lbs pretty effectively. 

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/16/20 4:29 p.m.

Pics or ban

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/16/20 4:56 p.m.

spandak
spandak Reader
1/16/20 4:58 p.m.

Oh I like that

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/16/20 5:11 p.m.

berkeley yeah! Kinda gives me Renault Spyder vibes

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/16/20 5:24 p.m.

That looks awesome!!!

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/16/20 5:33 p.m.

Love it!

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/16/20 6:33 p.m.

Thanks guys! I was sooooo nervous to cut it. The glass guy was here today doing a windshield in the daily spyder and I was talking to him about it, I said berkly it and flipped him $20 to take out the glass then I went to town with a sawzall and hacksaw. I think it came out clean and I'm pretty sure the plan to use the rollover reinforcement to reinstall it for inspections will work. I think it'll not be noticeable that it's modified lol. I cant wait to get it done now, I've been stagnating a bit on this project (and all the other ones since the divorce) and I figured this would reignite my enthusiasm.  I need to finish the cage, adapt the injectors to the harness, put on the new (bigger) turbo, and tune it. Exciting! 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/16/20 6:34 p.m.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/16/20 6:36 p.m.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/16/20 6:38 p.m.

Oh yea, and I've got to lay up some carbon stuff, door cards (which I did in aluminum as a proof of concept then just rocked like that for years)  a cover for the cut areas and area between dash and cowl etc.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/16/20 6:38 p.m.

In reply to Carbon :

I dig it.

Two shovels!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/16/20 8:55 p.m.

Looks like it was meant to be that way. Don't stop now.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
1/16/20 8:55 p.m.

Ooo, 1900lbs? Man, the 2GR would be PERFECT for that.

Gonna check copart for MR2s now...

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
1/16/20 9:13 p.m.

How much did it weigh before the cut?

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/16/20 9:50 p.m.

In reply to amg_rx7 :

Like 65lbs more give or take, it wasnt the primary motivating factor for the cut, I just loved the look/idea/visibility/uniqueness of a modern(ish) barchetta. I cant get over how light weight some of the components on this car are from factory. The front fenders are the lightest fenders I've ever come across, including dry composite ones, theyre like paper lol.  They were really trying to peel the onion on these cars. I don't understand why theyre not more beloved, they feel special in so many respects. Again, big thanks to those who encouraged me to do this, especially to Pinch for the photoshop that pushed me over the edge! Thanks again man.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/16/20 9:51 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Ooo, 1900lbs? Man, the 2GR would be PERFECT for that.

Gonna check copart for MR2s now...

Turbo 2gr is the long term goal. Or at least 2gr/itbs. 

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
1/16/20 10:17 p.m.

There's something fantastically liberating about sawzalling a car.

spandak
spandak Reader
1/16/20 10:30 p.m.

Would something like this be street legal? Because I would drive that everywhere. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/17/20 7:36 a.m.

In reply to spandak :

I cut it Really clean, with the intention of being able to sleeve the roll over tube and reinstall for inspections. We'll see. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/20 7:47 a.m.

That looks great!  I'm currently working on a Spyder Kart and debating cutting the windshield off.  Any idea how many pounds can be attributed to just the windshield and frame?

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/17/20 8:55 a.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Less than youd think. Maybe 40-50. The glass guy took the windshield even though I asked him to leave it. It cracked during removal anyway but I wanted to weight that E36 M3. 

If you cut it, I recommend doing a precision cut along the outside, then sawzall from the inside starting at the rear on both sides and let the precision cut guide the outside of the blade. The reinforcement tube is pretty juicy amd will take a little while, it's not tool steel or anything just lean on it and be patient. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
1/17/20 10:06 a.m.

In reply to spandak :

If it has seatbelts, windshield wipers, horn lights etc. sure it's legal. The one Iffy bit is the requirement for safety glass which could be met with one or two of those little folding windshields Moss motors sells. 
 It saying you won't get hassled by an inquisitive cop but if you read your states rules carefully you should be OK. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/17/20 10:30 a.m.
Carbon said:

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Less than youd think. Maybe 40-50. The glass guy took the windshield even though I asked him to leave it. It cracked during removal anyway but I wanted to weight that E36 M3. 

Yeah, but that's 40-50lbs of weight in a pretty terrible place, way up above the center of gravity. So that might make a bigger difference than just the numbers alone.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
1/17/20 11:38 a.m.

Plus by the time you pop a helmet on you're safer than any motorcycle anyway!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rx4RLTjOxicfCvlQugnVPcfk0agAfvYVhqMAT5y0ImzZ5x7nK6vsecnbuuSQlv6k