1 2 3
Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
1/17/20 11:55 a.m.

Looks great, Carbon. I'm going to do the same to my Boxster. And 40-50 lbs. is huge when you're getting way down there. Add some weight for structural work. Plus the drag frees up power. Are you going to cover the passenger area?

Some states it's illegal, some not. Some, I believe, require a full helmet or helmet and goggles. I'm going to use a smaller flat windshield initially and rig a wiper. My county is super lenient but don't want to be restricted to just one county.

_
_ Dork
1/17/20 12:13 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

That looks great!  I'm currently working on a Spyder Kart and debating cutting the windshield off.  Any idea how many pounds can be attributed to just the windshield and frame?

Judging by this pic, this chassis really lends itself to a complete fiberglass shell redesign. Want a Ferrari for 5k?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/20 12:20 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

That looks great!  I'm currently working on a Spyder Kart and debating cutting the windshield off.  Any idea how many pounds can be attributed to just the windshield and frame?

That looks awesome! What is it?

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/17/20 12:22 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Also a Toyota MR-S

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/17/20 12:31 p.m.
_ said:
Lof8 - Andy said:

Judging by this pic, this chassis really lends itself to a complete fiberglass shell redesign. Want a Ferrari for 5k?

Yes, I would take this chassis any day over a Fiero. I could see one of these with a kit car body for challenge money!

The MRS is unloved because of the looks being no where near as exciting as the original MR2 or 2nd gen MR2. Which is a shame as dynamically they seem to be superior and with an engine swap (2GR would be perfect) are the perfect platform for this.  Love the look without the windshield. I think I need to add one of these to my fleet once I finish my AW11 MR2 V6 project. I see these cars cheap on Facebook and Craigslist all the time, so one is bound to find it's way into my life....

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/17/20 12:38 p.m.
dherr said:
_ said:
Lof8 - Andy said:

Yes, I would take this chassis any day over a Fiero. I could see one of these with a kit car body for challenge money!

The MRS is unloved because of the looks being no where near as exciting as the original MR2 or 2nd gen MR2. Which is a shame as dynamically they seem to be superior and with an engine swap (2GR would be perfect) are the perfect platform for this.  Love the look without the windshield. I think I need to add one of these to my fleet once I finish my AW11 MR2 V6 project. I see these cars cheap on Facebook and Craigslist all the time, so one is bound to find it's way into my life....

I'll say it: Stock-for-stock, I'd take the ZZW30 MR-2/MR-S over an NA/NB Miata any day. I drove an MR-S for the first time this summer at an autocross and was blown away. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
1/17/20 12:40 p.m.

In reply to dherr :

The MR-S was said by Matt Farrah that it has the greatest ride that isn't a supercar of some form- he directly compared it to some Ferrari's. And for good friggin' reason, the car is made to do one thing.

_
_ Dork
1/17/20 1:52 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Funny how a chassis can lay dormant in the minds of many, until someone comes along an exploits something. Second gen mr2 for example, "that 3sgte will never make big power", then came the 1mz and k24 swaps. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/17/20 2:04 p.m.

We're gonna find out! I'm gonna drive it on the street till they make me stop lol. 

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/17/20 2:07 p.m.

Yeah, I really did not need to see that stripped cart chassis, has me looking on Facebook marketplace......

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/17/20 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Hasbro :

Thanks man! 

_
_ Dork
1/17/20 2:26 p.m.
dherr said:

Yeah, I really did not need to see that stripped cart chassis, has me looking on Facebook marketplace......

It's a few X bars away from being a ghetto Ariel. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
1/17/20 3:32 p.m.

In reply to _ :

I think it was just their impracticality. A Miata can be daily-ed and the factory turbo version completely out-powered the MR-S; meanwhile, the Midship has no truck OR frunk, just provisions for a spare tire and little space behind the seats. The rumors about snap oversteer also didn't help, though that "problem" is entirely due to driver error.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/17/20 5:29 p.m.

The frunk has Some room if you delete the spare ($140 whole foods shop), and gutting em actually gives pretty big space behind the seats. Awesome that gutting them actually improves practicality lol. 

Snap oversteer rumors are hilarious. These cars are super friendly and predictable at limit and beyond. They will lift throttle oversteer, but thats just good corner entry behavior in my opinion. Understeering into a corner shouldn't be preferable to adjustability. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
1/17/20 5:33 p.m.

In reply to Carbon :

But Carbon, who am I supposed to blame when I over-corrected into that guardrail at 60MPH? It's certianly not the fact I'm 20 and full of hormones and revenge fantasies! 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/17/20 6:12 p.m.

Not to take anything away from all the MR2 goodness contained in this thread, but this kit based on it makes me feel funny.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
1/17/20 6:23 p.m.

You're just gonna post something that sexy and NOT link to it?

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/17/20 7:12 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

Was coming here to post the same thing

https://www.mrs200.com/

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/17/20 7:12 p.m.
Carbon said:

Snap oversteer rumors are hilarious. These cars are super friendly and predictable at limit and beyond. They will lift throttle oversteer, but thats just good corner entry behavior in my opinion. Understeering into a corner shouldn't be preferable to adjustability. 

Yeah, I had never driven a mid/rear car period, let alone an MR-S and I immediately jumped in one and could go full bore around a track that can be somewhat daunting, and never spun it once. Apparently I scared the course workers, who said I "sent the berkeley out of it." I clobbered the car's owner's times by 1.5 seconds as well

dyintorace
1/17/20 8:03 p.m.
_ said:
Lof8 - Andy said:

Like this?

dyintorace
1/17/20 8:05 p.m.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/17/20 8:49 p.m.

The mazdaspeed Miata has just 30hp more than an mr2 spyder and weighs every bit of 300lbs more. I think the actual acceleration is about the same. I've been blown away by how good my basically stock one is compared to my NB Miata. It's wayyyy less practical though. You can fit a cart load of groceries in an NB trunk and still have room for two people. You can fit a few bags of groceries in an mrs and even at that you're still struggling to shoehorn them in the cubbies behind the seats. But I don't care I replaced a motorcycle with mine and it's way more roomy than a klr. 

It doesn't matter when shopping for them as a toy, but when new they were in that "going to be used regularly" price range and people just couldn't get past the zero trunk aspect of it. IMHO obviously. That and the dealer markups on a car that wasn't moving didn't help. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/17/20 10:51 p.m.

They're great in the snow with snow tires and they dont seem to rust. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/18/20 7:33 a.m.

Could hardtops be found for these cars? 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/18/20 7:50 a.m.
yupididit said:

Could hardtops be found for these cars? 

hardtops are available, the issue is they are as much as the car. you are looking at 2500-3k for a hardtop.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HDVTOl77r871hLNfEj4trioBWdPlcYZcxm0SJSuaApIG3FON451pIT2gqoRlTAjR