1 ... 5 6 7
Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox New Reader
6/17/09 4:54 p.m.

You could also say that about a Taurus or Lumina (I guess anyway; I don't really know anything about NASCAR).

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado HalfDork
6/17/09 5:57 p.m.
jakermc wrote: 6 pages to debate the merits of driving one of the most successful race cars ever built? Those who don't get it, have not done it! :)

I agree with you, I still want one, but I gotta remind you..Ethel Merman had a long career too.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
6/19/09 12:40 p.m.

Pick your color...

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/19/09 1:11 p.m.

I will take the yellow, orange, green, blue, and white please.

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
6/19/09 1:31 p.m.

Our 996GT3rsr at the 2002 Daytona 24 Hours...

all i remember was we couldnt get the thing to handle right, wasnt all that quick. we ran in the GTS catagory with no restrictors and just got our asses handed to us every race weekend by the Saleen S7R guys. But im proud to say i worked on a Pro team and finished the 24 hours running in 4th in GTS...

sideways
sideways
5/13/10 3:05 p.m.

some 911 sounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uy9bOeABjc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyomQDDvhi0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu2SCBNlrLo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEOKck7WWvU&feature=related

snipes
snipes Reader
5/13/10 3:41 p.m.

Nice digging. The second video was Great.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
5/14/10 9:20 a.m.
Otto_Maddox wrote: You could also say that about a Taurus or Lumina (I guess anyway; I don't really know anything about NASCAR).

Yeah, but 911s driven wheels aren't moved to the opposite end of the car (just being silly). My point is that 911s are competitive in near-production form as well as tube-framed fiberglass silhouette cars. Nascar chassis have pretty much nothing to do with the the shapes and names their draped in.

I'm preaching to the choir here though.

signing off. - Captain Obvious

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
5/14/10 9:26 a.m.

In reply to Matt B:

I had an '86 Carerra. I loved it. The cost/benefit just wasn't there for me. Every car guy should probably own one at some point.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
5/14/10 9:36 a.m.
M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
5/14/10 11:10 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Best 911 video ever

Plenty of steering input/correction there. Good vid.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/14/10 11:41 a.m.

'65 Falcon at Spa!

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
5/14/10 1:29 p.m.

Not to totally de-rail, but I think the 918 concept is the most beautiful Porsche design to date.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
5/14/10 2:17 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

seeeehhhxxx! (I've apparently developed an interwebz lisp)

I don't care if the 78mpg rating is overly optimistic or gained with "special" test circumstances like the Volt. As far as I'm concerned, you can be as green as you want with a 500hp V8 tucked in front of the rear axle. The only thing I think could dilute the viability of the car is the stratospheric price it's probably going to have with all that new-ish technology on board. At least people will pay higher prices for something with a red-n-yellow shield on it.

Despite what it looks like I'm not helping to derail this thread at all . . . (whistles innocently)

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
5/14/10 10:20 p.m.

My 914 handled much better than the average or above average 911.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
5/15/10 12:33 a.m.

Wow. Scared me when he had to lift for the slower cars at Eau Rouge (I was a Stephen Bellof fan), but he seems to be "all over it" all the way around the circuit. Thanks for the link!

4eyes
4eyes Reader
5/15/10 2:23 a.m.

When you pull up at any destination, no-one asks you "What kind of car is that?" or "Who makes that?" Just look at the podiums for endurance racing for the last 40+ years.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
5/15/10 5:39 a.m.
M2Pilot wrote:

Check out the opposite lock at 2:50

Also, here's that RUF 911 video, (sliding 'round the Nurburgring) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5uniReXED4

Matt B
Matt B Reader
5/15/10 9:30 a.m.
M2Pilot wrote:

Man! he was really cranking on that wheel. Certainly gives you another idea of "smooth" inputs.

On a side note - it looks like he has my mom's kitchen timer mounted to the dash. lol

That RUF video was also hairy awesomeness. I thought he was going to lose it a couple of times. Had me thinking, "I wouldn't have recovered from that in Forza . . ." (been to the 'ring IRL, but that's is about as close as I've come to driving a 911)

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
5/15/10 9:32 a.m.

I agree with Otto, every car guy should own one at some point. Pedal placement takes a little getting used to, shifting in low gears takes finesse, and I never have figured out how to use the heat or AC, but with wide tires on a Cabrio it's like driving a really bad ass go kart with a windshield and gears! Here's mine

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 New Reader
5/15/10 10:17 a.m.

Ehh, I'm of the generation that grew up with them on their walls.

But I didn't. Nor did I have Lambos or Ferrari's on my wall either. Instead, I lusted after the Jag. Jaguar XJ220.

Personally, I STILL don't like the look of the 911. 924 or 944? Sure. But I just don't dig the 911, in any of its guises.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder New Reader
5/15/10 10:20 a.m.

That Spa vid is awesome. Looks like he has an oil return line feeding each rear tire! Coming from mostly front-drive experience, that is just hairy!

njansenv
njansenv Reader
5/15/10 11:09 a.m.

My wife and I saw an early 911 with the ducktail spoiler this morning. On Fuch's.

To this day, there is NO car I want more than an early 911. It's completely irrational.

And I'm ok with that.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
5/17/10 4:20 a.m.

I did not understand the appeal until I test drove a 996 a couple of months ago. The way they drive is pretty incredible and the steering was wonderful. If there weren't so many other great cars that are cheaper to mod and maintain in that price range I probably would have bought that 996 on the spot! But it was A LOT of car for $25,000...

1 ... 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hSJrGt9L2bMK8eMbEppKdFaCeFQnWhRVkIJSAvKLyOD850uVu44UkTHiRXPHpESP