914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/15/19 4:21 p.m.

I know these are correct for the vehicle, but they're a little scuffy and I don't like them.  15" wheels.  In a perfect world where I had shoe boxes of money at y disposal, I would paint the wheels the copper color in the truck and go for Baby Moons.   I can't.  So, 70's LTD caps?  Open to suggestions short of buying mags.

Thanks, Dan

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
5/15/19 5:57 p.m.

That thing is cherry.  I would have a hard time keeping it anything but factory fresh.  

If anything, white wagon wheels with some "laces out" all terrains as such.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/15/19 7:21 p.m.

Go here: https://www.hubcaps.org and browse through the photos of hubcaps to see if there's something you like.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
5/15/19 9:43 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/19 11:03 p.m.

I think some stealies with poverty caps would look awesome.. you could also look towards the towncar for some cheap and period looking aluminum rims?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
5/16/19 12:39 a.m.

Some P71's came with small caps that might work very nicely.

freetors
freetors Reader
5/16/19 5:47 a.m.

I've always been a fan of painted steelies in a lot of cases (except Dorman replacement wheels, they have hideous looking faces). A good color like black or silver usually looks pretty good.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/19 6:28 a.m.

You can totally get away with putting Mustang stuff on a truck like that.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/16/19 6:28 a.m.

I like the truck and I like the "painted steelies with hubcaps" idea. I am OK with those original wheel covers, but I think it would look better without the whitewalls. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/16/19 7:53 a.m.

I agree, whitewalls are making the whole thing look worse. Just how old are those tires? Remember, they age out even if they don't wear out.

Another vote for steelies (black would be my choice) and dog dish center caps.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/16/19 8:56 a.m.

I have a new old stock set of four Ford truck dog dish hubcaps out in the garage I'll never use...I haven't looked at them for a long time but if I remember correctly they are this style:

I'd let them go for cheap if you're interested (I will have to check the dimensions to make sure they will fit a 15" wheel.)

failboat
failboat UberDork
5/16/19 12:44 p.m.

I do agree that those are pretty much the worst hubcaps in the history of ever. 

When I had my 86 I ran the stock steelies just sprayed satin black for a while, and then did the aforementioned white wagon wheels. so perfect. I ran 15x10 rear with 275/60r15 and 15x8 front with I think 235/70r15. will follow up with a few pics here in a minute

failboat
failboat UberDork
5/16/19 12:51 p.m.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/19 1:45 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

needs steelies painted the lighter body color plus these caps.   even that might not look right since it's got the bright trim separating the two body colors.  i'm thinking somerthing more along these lines:

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/16/19 2:25 p.m.

Just paint the wheels under the hubcaps to match the truck, and run without hubcaps. Or is the darker center section detachable from the rest of the wheel cover?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/16/19 2:44 p.m.

I think those chrome factory wheels look great on that Bronco. I like the period correct white letters too.  For the F150, I think that chrome wheel would really compliment the chrome trim at the color separation as well as the chrome mirrors and bumpers. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/19 3:01 p.m.

Or...Cragars and whitewalls. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/16/19 3:27 p.m.

Thanks guys.  The white walls are going, I've had Wranglers in the past and was quite happy.  I shy away from chrome because it's just too much.... chrome.

Any idea what it would cost to paint 4 steelies by someone that knows what they're doing?  Set of stylish wheel covers cheaper? 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/16/19 7:08 p.m.

I have these awesome Walker Evans wheels that I bought for $150 at a garage sale for my Ramcharger that would be sweet on your truck.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/19 7:17 p.m.

steel rims rattle can paint to match or contrast with black or white with the spun aluminum ford dog dish hub caps.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i8VFdLYE1zJA9yWLoBhsmDKebsdl22mXdvB1tT75ByzGWuQcno854yPdu5dlO1aL