1 2
carczar_84
carczar_84 New Reader
6/1/12 11:13 a.m.

Finally got a chance to see a FR-S in person last night at a local dealership. Pearl white, automatic , but super nice car. Really does look good in person.

The good news for me is that I actually fit! Am am 6'-4", with a longer torso, which basically means that every sports car I ever get interested in is a no-go once I sit in it. This was not the case.

The seating position is really good, and the seats feel great. With everything adjusted to where I would like it I have a solid 1'-1.5" of headroom left, which isn't a lot, but way better than most sports cars for me. I think that with the seat slightly more reclined and moved up a notch or two, a helmet would easily fit.

Just thought I would pass this along for all my fellow tall people that get left out of the fun most of the time.

Now I can get excited about this car. . . .

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
6/1/12 11:32 a.m.

The seats are mounted pretty low – my driving partner was fairly tall and mentioned he had plenty of headroom too. Here are my thoughts on it: http://www.auto123.com/en/scion/fr-s/2013/review?carid=1136500701&artid=144088

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
6/1/12 11:32 a.m.

Given the last generation Celica had my head out the sunroof, that's very good news.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/1/12 11:34 a.m.

Agreed! Many new cars don't have enough headroom for helmet space (new Camaro I'm looking at you! )

I was very pleased to find I had plenty of headroom with my helmet on in the FR-S. From the start, the "86" twins were designed with the track-day guy in mind.

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
6/1/12 12:03 p.m.

Yeah, I have several tall friends who can't drive the MX-5 without their heads tilted to one side.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
6/1/12 12:06 p.m.

I sat in the Subie model and it was very roomy.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/1/12 12:30 p.m.

Ah good, I'm 6'1" so I definitely won't have to bring my helmet along for the test drive

jv8
jv8 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/1/12 1:12 p.m.

Great news! I'm 6'2" but all torso... I have to tilt my head 45deg to drive a Miata.

Now who has a picture of a child seat in the back? Need to drop my 4-yr-old off at daycare. Front passenger seat is empty so it could be pushed all the way forward. Would it work?

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
6/1/12 1:21 p.m.

It's pretty tight quarters back there, no way would an adult want to try and fit, but it looks like a child seat will. Googled this pic:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/556790_10150854059557379_978388580_n.jpg

and here's a discussion on a Toyota 86 forum:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4702

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/1/12 1:28 p.m.

When the first preproduction Jensen GT was built, it seems Kjell Qvale went to the plant to check it out. There was some discussion of the rear seat's small dimensions, it seems that he climbed in, actually got situated with his head over to one side and his ear against the headliner. He is reputed to have said 'Once you are in here, it's not bad at all!'.

Not the first production car, but you can get an idea of how small the rear 'seat' is:

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
6/1/12 1:34 p.m.

Here's a bit of on-track drifting I shot while at the track last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqHZeen2pUY

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
6/1/12 4:26 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Here's a bit of on-track drifting I shot while at the track last week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqHZeen2pUY

First impression of watching that video; lots are going to get crashed, insurance will be expensive. :-(

Oh well, I still can't wait to test drive and check out my dd's trade in value.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
6/1/12 4:37 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Here's a bit of on-track drifting I shot while at the track last week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqHZeen2pUY

Ye gods the howl of those poor tires...

EdenPrime
EdenPrime Reader
6/1/12 4:47 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: Given the last generation Celica had my head out the sunroof, that's very good news.

That's what i have-- and i have to adjust my seat into a very unnatural position to fit the helmet. :/ Hopefully some aftermarket seats fix that. Or a helmet with a flat top.

Claff
Claff Reader
6/1/12 4:51 p.m.
daytonaer wrote: First impression of watching that video; lots are going to get crashed, insurance will be expensive. :-(

I checked with my agent this week. A BRZ is going to be something like $30 more per year to insure than our 2010 Mazda3 5-door. I expected worse.

Enggboy
Enggboy New Reader
6/1/12 5:20 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Yeah, I have several tall friends who can't drive the MX-5 without their heads tilted to one side.

There is a simple solution to that... drop the top. Unlimited headroom then (you just may need aviator goggles if you stick up over the windshield header).

LopRacer
LopRacer Reader
6/1/12 5:21 p.m.

Saw my first FR-S in the wild today, looked pretty damn good. Came up on me on the interstate and at first it looked like a small 350-370z in the distance once it got closer I knew what it was. Can't afford one any time soon, but will be interested to see it down the road as a viable used car purchase.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
6/1/12 9:07 p.m.
Claff wrote:
daytonaer wrote: First impression of watching that video; lots are going to get crashed, insurance will be expensive. :-(
I checked with my agent this week. A BRZ is going to be something like $30 more per year to insure than our 2010 Mazda3 5-door. I expected worse.

This is where the "But it only has 200hp" crowd has to slink off and gloat about how proud they are to pay for the surplus ponies in the barn. I already compared the Mustang to the FRS; the FRS has no increase from the 2002 Protege I drive.

Insurance has always hated HP and billed accordingly. I learned this many years ago when I wanted to buy a Pantera. My insurance agent informed me that such a vehicle put me a rung below child molester on the social ladder and that I would be billed accordingly.

I bought the Miata.

Life was great for the next 13 years.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
6/1/12 9:50 p.m.

And you didn't drive it becaaaaauuuussse?????

Cotton
Cotton Dork
6/1/12 10:13 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
Claff wrote:
This is where the "But it only has 200hp" crowd has to slink off and gloat about how proud they are to pay for the surplus ponies in the barn. I already compared the Mustang to the FRS; the FRS has no increase from the 2002 Protege I drive. Insurance has always hated HP and billed accordingly. I learned this many years ago when I wanted to buy a Pantera. My insurance agent informed me that such a vehicle put me a rung below child molester on the social ladder and that I would be billed accordingly. I bought the Miata. Life was great for the next 13 years.

My 170HP sportbike is 300 per year for full coverage so....I'm not slinking. I have quite a few higher HP vehicles with low insurance rates....HP if far from the only factor in rates.

Out of all the cars and bikes I've had here were the two with the highest rates:

MKIV NA Supra with 220hp(I blame the ricers)

87 Wrangler (I blame my age and the reputation of Wranglers at the time)

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
6/2/12 10:26 p.m.

I got to spend some quality time in an FR-S today and based upon this thread I took my helmet.

I'm 6' even and am not long waisted and I didn't fit with a helmet on. We cranked the seat down as far as it would go. The manufacturers rep warned me when he saw me carrying the helmet that the helmet would be a problem, apparently this has been an issue that has come up before.

It's been a couple of weeks since I was in a BRZ but from what I remember I like the Scion seats better. I like the contrasting color stitching (red in this case) and the fabric. But enough time had elapsed that I couldn't remember enough to make any other comparisons.

The Scion didn't seem quite as muscular to me as the BRZ did, which I didn't expect since the only differences are basically the soft bits on both ends.

I did not get to drive it hard or through autocross style corners, only fast street corners but it felt very light and tossable.

It actually may come down to this or the Fiat Abarth for me.

sobe_death
sobe_death Reader
6/4/12 3:29 a.m.

You fit in the Abarth with a helmet on?

carczar_84
carczar_84 New Reader
6/4/12 8:58 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

Couldn't drive it, the car was already sold. The sales guy who let me sit in it actually got yelled at for even letting me do that!

Hoping to test drive one soon, and will definitely be bringing a helmet this time around.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
6/4/12 9:23 a.m.
sobe_death wrote: You fit in the Abarth with a helmet on?

Yes and with room to spare.

e_pie
e_pie Reader
6/4/12 9:26 a.m.

I've been itching to test drive one of these.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
52oO6D64e0R4VQzTlZWfAtKWbPmJKtZvwDOhQNleE7OHpEW3jHZAcmiHoeEKcOvU