carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
8/30/12 9:54 p.m.

http://www.utsandiego.com/photos/galleries/2012/aug/02/chopped-2005-ford-gt/#/4

The police found a 2005 Ford GT in a chop shop. These are pics of the pieces.

vern2point3
vern2point3 New Reader
8/30/12 9:57 p.m.

Do they have the death penalty in that jusristiction?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/30/12 10:24 p.m.
vern2point3 wrote: Do they have the death penalty in that jusristiction?

Probably not, but I bet the thieves are praying for segregation, or whatever it is called when they're kept out of general population for safety reasons.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/12 11:02 p.m.

I do not see what the big deal is.. not like it was an original GT40

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/12 11:43 p.m.

It also only had 800 miles on it, so it wasn't a real car. It was some collector's investment.

If you don't drive them, they die inside.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/12 12:02 a.m.

Nobody else notice the paper reported they also stole two Porches?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/31/12 12:05 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Nobody else notice the paper reported they also stole two *Porches*?

Maybe they are using the parts to build a patio.

sobe_death
sobe_death Reader
8/31/12 5:45 a.m.

If you got dibs on the suspension, I call the engine!

egoman
egoman New Reader
8/31/12 8:43 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Nobody else notice the paper reported they also stole two *Porches*?

Any body else notice that they valued the ford gt at 250000 dollars. They do the same thing up here. A small drug bust gets these radically inflated numbers so the cops look better and the newspaper guys fall all over it. I had 3 motorcycles stolen from my garage a few years ago. My wife protected all the evidence so all the police had to do was show up. After a very short period the police made a arrest. They called me and told me they had arrested the guys who had taken my stuff. I asked them if they had my bikes and they said they didnt. So why are you calling me then, just to brag???? The cop was pissy with me because I didnt share their excitement for them doing half of their job.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
8/31/12 9:01 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: It also only had 800 miles on it, so it wasn't a real car. It was some collector's investment. If you don't drive them, they die inside.

Exactly. Why do you think we asked about the death penalty?

Maybe we need a law for cruel an unusual treatment of sports cars.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/31/12 9:16 a.m.
sobe_death wrote: If you got dibs on the suspension, I call the engine!

Smart move. Suspension doesn't look too special. Cast double wishbones, plain non-adjustable struts with no pushrod setup...good but nothing special.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
8/31/12 9:29 a.m.

I will take that floor mounted pedal setup please

Type Q
Type Q Dork
8/31/12 9:36 a.m.

How many GT's did Ford build? With low productions numbers how big can the market for "chopped" parts be?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/31/12 9:39 a.m.

I want the transmission.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/31/12 9:45 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: I want the transmission.

Another smart move, very good and pricey unit, good for building longitudinal MR-layout vehicles.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
8/31/12 10:06 a.m.

Who cares! They're a dime a dozen.

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
8/31/12 11:10 a.m.

Screw everyone, I want the wheels.......to sell to someone building a type 65 coupe

Winston
Winston Reader
8/31/12 11:37 a.m.
carguy123 wrote:
Who cares! They're a dime a dozen.

For real. Every house I've ever lived in came with two. One in front, one in back.

EDIT: That Van Gogh painting is probably the most valuable thing those crooks stole. I looked it up, and it's listed as being in a "private collection." Indeed.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/31/12 12:18 p.m.

Dashboard please! It will make great wall art or part of a bar.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
8/31/12 1:29 p.m.

It is funny that the more rare a car is the harder it is to sell the parts unless the car is very desirable. As desirable as the GT is I don't think there are tons of people searching craigslist/ebay for parts. The GT is a seriously cool car and they sound so good. You guys can keep of the body parts engine suspension, give me the catalyst.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dkrzND9xXZQ4yGca6yaK9tnMTNcltJZGRWaGU7A7Sm22xhwekneZZVTQ2tYcIEbH