1 2
ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/17/14 7:51 p.m.

Really, really, really pissed off right now. I found another Focus SVT 5-door down in Charlotte on Craigslist with a "blown engine." I have an SVT engine on a stand in my garage. Was going to swap out that engine to have a nice clean car. The seller and I agreed on a price of $800 via text. Older gentleman that I spoke on the phone with previously, so not the average CL jockey. We agreed (I have the text messages to prove it) that I would over-night a check for $200 to hold the car until first thing Saturday morning. I sent out the check yesterday.

Today around 6pm I get the text "I'm sending your check back someone else came here today with $1500 so I sold the car." I say, "I thought that check meant we agreed upon a price and you were going to hold the car?" Of course, no response from the chickenE36 M3. I'm tempted to give him a piece of my mind (after my check gets returned). I can't believe how pissed off I am about this. I mowed the grass in anger tonight.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/17/14 7:57 p.m.

Honestly, suck it up man. I've been screwed a LOT harder in the past. Not to say that doesn't suck, but it's not like you drove 900 miles with the cash in hand to find the car missing without even a phone call...which has happened to me...twice. You're getting your check back, so...? Also, put yourself in their shoes. You don't know just how much that extra $700 might help someone out that's really struggling.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
4/17/14 8:01 p.m.

That sucks, he's an shiny happy person, but don't do anything you'll regret when you cool down.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/17/14 8:03 p.m.

No worries. I wouldn't say anything to him honestly. Will just be happy to get my check back and move on to the next one.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/17/14 8:07 p.m.

You need to move up here in Michigan. No matter how ticked off I could be today I don't have to mow my lawn yet.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/17/14 8:10 p.m.

My rule is usually "The first one to show up with cash gets it", but since you sent a deposit, you had a contract with the guy, IMO. But, since he refunded your money, he didn't really screw you over in a legal way. It was a dick move, but you're not really out anything other than your time.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/17/14 8:18 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

My policy as well. Seemed to be his. At first that's what he said, but I talked him into taking the deposit to hold the car. I wanted him to understand how serious I was. A small small part of me understands after parting out the focus I have now. I've been berated with 100's of emails, texts, and PMS to sell things. Usually going to the point of getting shipping quotes with detailed pictures to have people say "I'll let ya know" and I never hear from them again.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/17/14 8:22 p.m.

Post his number in the male for transvestite section.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
4/17/14 8:26 p.m.

Congratulations! You are now a Judge Judy episode!

I watched an episode today (all that was on while I was on the treadmill) where a guy successfully sued a couple from reneging on some free chickens after driving 150 miles to get them. He got $84 in gas money and $200 for his time.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/17/14 8:32 p.m.

In reply to Basil Exposition:

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
4/17/14 8:36 p.m.

It sucks for you, but in his place I'd do the same thing. $700 is $700. I do ok money-wise, but I'm not going to pass up an extra $700 just to avoid hurting some stranger's feelings. He's sending your money back so you're not getting "screwed" per se. You lost nothing other than a bit of your time and mail expenses (As to that, I WOULD ask him to reimburse you for, since he just made $700 extra!) Worst he can say is no, but if he's a good person he probably will do it. I would definitely do it if I was in his position (and I actually have sent back paypal payments plus service fees).

If I'm at a business and make a deal, I expect them to honor that deal. But if I'm buying or selling on Craigslist the only deal I expect to be honored is cash, in my hands. I've been on both ends of this and it's never much fun. But money is money and I want as much as I can get for something I'm selling.

plance1
plance1 Dork
4/17/14 8:37 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: Honestly, suck it up man.

What this guy says....As a seller, I have all kinds of crackpots calling to buy stuff and I agree, first one with cash gets it. I understand you can be frustrated, as a check that he no doubt received could have been considered "consideration" which is a legal term that smarter people then me will judge if I'm using it correctly lol! But someone offered him more money then you and was there with cash, if you had been a wacko who reneged, say you called and said, "dude, I can't cough up the remaining loot" or something to that effect, then this guy would have lost the opportunity to sell it as he would have passed up other buyers while waiting for you to come up with the remainder, which he has no guarantee you will do so.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
4/17/14 8:38 p.m.

Total dick move on that guys part... I sold a printer to a guy for $400 once, verbal agreement. Another guy calls me up before guy #1's check arrives and offers me $800. I told guy #1 about it and offered to send him $200 (plus his original $400 back, of course) if I sold the printer to guy #2. Guy1 says no, he wants the printer. So I sold it to him. That's the way it should work!

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
4/17/14 8:47 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Total dick move on that guys part... I sold a printer to a guy for $400 once, verbal agreement. Another guy calls me up before guy #1's check arrives and offers me $800. I told guy #1 about it and offered to send him $200 (plus his original $400 back, of course) if I sold the printer to guy #2. Guy1 says no, he wants the printer. So I sold it to him. That's the way it should work!

I've had way too many no-shows to trust a verbal agreement. I don't consider a CL item sold until I have the full amount of money in my account/hand, or if the buyer has informed me that he is on the way to my house to buy it (even then I had one guy say he was coming so I cancelled a round of golf to wait for him....and then he never showed, never called, and I got an email 3 days later saying "sorry dude, couldn't get the money"....

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/17/14 8:53 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
dculberson wrote: Total dick move on that guys part... I sold a printer to a guy for $400 once, verbal agreement. Another guy calls me up before guy #1's check arrives and offers me $800. I told guy #1 about it and offered to send him $200 (plus his original $400 back, of course) if I sold the printer to guy #2. Guy1 says no, he wants the printer. So I sold it to him. That's the way it should work!
I've had way too many no-shows to trust a verbal agreement. I don't consider a CL item sold until I have the full amount of money in my account/hand, or if the buyer has informed me that he is on the way to my house to buy it (even then I had one guy say he was coming so I cancelled a round of golf to wait for him....and then he never showed, never called, and I got an email 3 days later saying "sorry dude, couldn't get the money"....

I paid a deposit for him to hold it and he accepted it as a way to "hold" the car for me. This was more than a basic verbal agreement. I was serious. With cash. He agreed and then went back on his word.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/17/14 8:54 p.m.

In reply to Datsun1500:

He didn't list a price. I called. Asked him what he wanted with him saying "uh, well, uhhh what are you offering?" I said $800 and he was more than happy with that amount.

plance1
plance1 Dork
4/17/14 8:56 p.m.

lots of experts on dicks around here...

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
4/17/14 9:00 p.m.
ScreaminE wrote:
irish44j wrote:
I paid a deposit for him to hold it and he accepted it as a way to "hold" the car for me. This was more than a basic verbal agreement. I was serious. With cash. He agreed and then went back on his word.

My bad, I got the impression when I read your post that he sold it during the day before he received your check. If he already had the check and THEN he sold it, that's a different story altogether.

As to craigslist (or car forum classifieds, for that matter) verbal agreements...If I had a dollar for every time I had a verbal agreement with a buyer or seller and then they backed out, I'd be a rich man right now.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely New Reader
4/17/14 9:29 p.m.

I have had people on CL reneged on a deal when the price was free. If I go to buy something it is with cash and a way to get it home. Until I have it I don't expect anything. Money talks.

Mow lawn?, the snow just melted.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/17/14 10:19 p.m.

I'm with the seller here. CL ifs full of unfulfilled promise. First guy with cash wins. At least he didn't string you out on the check. I'm usually pretty up front about it in that I'll just say... if you want your money back then I'm not holding it. If I can spend this check it's yours. But... if I don't cash the check where is the agreement?

If I had full payment i'd be remiss in accepting another offer but if you sent me a nickel and they paid the full dollar... and I gave your nickel back... no harm no foul.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/17/14 11:45 p.m.

If he had accepted your offer and your check to hold it for you, but then had a change of heart and decided to keep the car and send your check back, would you feel the same as you do now?

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
4/18/14 6:02 a.m.

His mistake was agreeing to take a deposit. That isn't how to do stuff on CL in my experience buying and selling. I always tell folks that whomever gets here with cash in their hand first takes it. If someone says they are coming I will hold the item for a day sometimes, but I would not take a deposit. I would be pissed off too if I was the OP for losing out on what seems to be a sweet deal, but I can also understand the draw of cash in hand and an additional $700 to boot.

Keep looking and an SVT will come your way.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
4/18/14 6:32 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: My rule is usually "The first one to show up with cash gets it", but since you sent a deposit, you had a contract with the guy, IMO. But, since he refunded your money, he didn't really screw you over in a legal way. It was a dick move, but you're not really out anything other than your time.

would that "contract" be valid prior to receiving the check ? I agree if the check had been cashed and you were still within the time frame of when you were supposed to finalize the deal, you'd have the "right" to be PO'ed … but if the seller hadn't received the check yet, and sold for cash on the barrel head ….

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
4/18/14 7:08 a.m.

I can't believe we agree on something. Seems a lot of people's word here is worth $700. To me your word is your bond. I once let a TR3 go that I had agreed to sell. I guess I should have backed out and refunded him for his Uhaul trailer.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/18/14 7:22 a.m.
T.J. wrote: His mistake was agreeing to take a deposit. That isn't how to do stuff on CL in my experience buying and selling. I always tell folks that whomever gets here with cash in their hand first takes it. If someone says they are coming I will hold the item for a day sometimes, but I would not take a deposit. I would be pissed off too if I was the OP for losing out on what seems to be a sweet deal, but I can also understand the draw of cash in hand and an additional $700 to boot. Keep looking and an SVT will come your way.

Now that I've calmed down a bit, I can say that I agree with you the most.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z80QPOLy693mSl84HM3G5pgk8rpHW6k0bpe7wSN5EvGvQMlSkq0rqC0PUaUpeQyV