BoxheadTim Dork
Nov. 15, 2010 10:15 a.m.

Serious wantage: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1556902

Ian F Dork
Nov. 15, 2010 10:25 a.m.

yep.

DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
Nov. 15, 2010 10:27 a.m.

i choked on my coffee when i saw the asking price.. But boy is it pretty!

Nov. 15, 2010 10:28 a.m.

That would be so sweet.

jrw1621 SuperDork
Nov. 15, 2010 10:32 a.m.

Really, $145k ?
I did not think it would be cheap but did not think it would be that high. Sure, I do not keep an eye on that market but I can not see more than $50k. What do I know?

Ian F Dork
Nov. 15, 2010 10:35 a.m.

Yeah... I was expected at least $100K, but the price surprised me some as well.

But... they're rare and don't come up for sale very often... chances are he;ll get the asking price, although it may take awhile to find a buyer.

oldtin HalfDork
Nov. 15, 2010 10:42 a.m.

There's another that's been on the market over a year at 135k - 23,000 miles with a schnitzer pro-car body kit

mad_machine SuperDork
Nov. 15, 2010 10:45 a.m.

the pro-car bodykit would be a disadvantage to anybody who wanted to use the car as a nice day toy.. like I would want to do. Save it for shows and nice days for a cruise.

I once saw a white m1 back in the mid 80s.. the interior had been butchered to mount speakers and a more modern stereo

stuart in mn SuperDork
Nov. 15, 2010 10:48 a.m.

I think the price is high, but not by a huge amount...it seems like the few M1's that come up for sale these days generally are in the $120k range.

DavidinDurango New Reader
Nov. 15, 2010 11:52 a.m.

hAHAHAHHAA, one might consider a Pantera as an alternate.

cheaper, more power, more dedicated vendors. Yeah, not a bmw, is that bad?

Ian F Dork
Nov. 15, 2010 12:03 p.m.

I would argue that someone seriously considering a M-1 (and has the means to acquire one) is not looking at Panteras...

stuart in mn SuperDork
Nov. 15, 2010 12:04 p.m.

Pantera are neat cars, but I think a person looking for a Pantera is probably not the same person looking for an M1.

pinchvalve SuperDork
Nov. 15, 2010 12:10 p.m.

Kinda makes everyone else's daily commuter look kinda crappy.

dimeadozen Reader
Nov. 15, 2010 12:18 p.m.

Has the M1 market picked up in recent years? There is/was a small special interest shop/dealership near the North Carolina State Fairgrounds in Raleigh- in about 1998 or so, they had THREE M1's- two white ones and a red one. They sat OUTSIDE for sale for about a year before they started to disappear.

Between the quantity and the fact that they were stored outside, my fragile then 13 year old mind believed they were much more common/less valuable then they are.

Nov. 15, 2010 12:33 p.m.

Didn't Lamborghini assemble the early ones? I seem to remember that after the first ones were built BMW did not like the "Quality" of the Lambo assembled ones and sent them elsewhere to be put together.

914Driver SuperDork
Nov. 15, 2010 12:42 p.m.

Hmmmmm.....

Winter home in Florida?

World Class, competition purpose built Sailplane?

M1?

Auto ADD Dork
Nov. 15, 2010 1:05 p.m.

My pants get tighter every time I see an M1. If I ever have the money one is going to follow me home.

amg_rx7 HalfDork
Nov. 15, 2010 1:08 p.m.

I suppose the Bimmer fanatics will love it for its history, but man that car is ugly. Reminds me of the line that Clarkson used on Top Gear once - "Designed by a man that only owned a ruler".

I'd rather have a nice Porsche or C6 ZR1 or used Ferrari for that price. Or 145 Miatas.

TJ SuperDork
Nov. 15, 2010 1:45 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: I'd rather have a nice Porsche or C6 ZR1 or used Ferrari for that price. Or 145 Miatas.

I'd rather have $145k.

maddabe New Reader
Nov. 15, 2010 2:24 p.m.

Don't get me wrong, I have always loved BMWs but as far as the M1 is concerned, I can't decide which is uglier, the body or those god-awful wheels.

WilberM3 Reader
Nov. 15, 2010 2:34 p.m.

M1s have a lot more presence in person ive found. because they are pretty sharply styled it just works better in 3d, plus like the mclaren f1 i find myself almost surprised by how small it is every time i see one in person.

dyintorace SuperDork
Nov. 15, 2010 2:47 p.m.

Never a fan. WAAAAAYYYY down the list of "cool" cars I want to own. And I'm a BMW fanboi for the most part.

Nov. 15, 2010 2:57 p.m.
WilberM3 wrote: M1s have a lot more presence in person ive found. because they are pretty sharply styled it just works better in 3d, plus like the mclaren f1 i find myself almost surprised by how small it is every time i see one in person.

I agree Wilber. I've seen several in person and really like them. But no way I'm paying that much money for anything without teats.

paanta New Reader
Nov. 15, 2010 3:05 p.m.

30 years from now, people will be wondering why someone would pay however many millions of dollars for a used GTR or whatever. It's not the performance or the looks so much as the history and the awesomeness oozing out all over.

Oh wait, E36 M3, those are oil leaks.

maddabe New Reader
Nov. 15, 2010 3:13 p.m.
paanta wrote: Oh wait, E36 M3, those are oil leaks.

Just like LBCs. They ooze character. As a matter of fact, if you get too close you'll get character all over yourself.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Wing It: Simple Talk on the Complex Subject of Aerodynamics

12 hours ago in Articles

Whether sleek, boxy or somewhere in between, all cars interact with the air while racing down the track.

2018 Acura TLX V6 A-Spec

13 hours ago in New Car Reviews

Acura is introducing something new for the 2018 model year: the Acura TLX V6 A-Spec. It's the highest trim level ...

You Need This: $1600 Street Racer Ford Festiva

18 hours ago in News

It already has a GRM sticker and everything.

You Need This: 1989 Suzuki Swift GTi

19 hours ago in News

For sale: one of Suzuki's under-appreciated hot hatches.

Buyer's Guide: Chevy Cobalt SS

20 hours ago in Articles

All the information you'll need on GM’s entry in the sport compact wars.

Project SVT Focus Gets Caught Up on Maintenance

1 day ago in Project Cars

Once again, some off-road action sent our project focus under the knife.

You Need This: Clean, First-Year E36 BMW M3

1 day ago in News

The mileage is high, but this 1995 BMW M3 looks clean in the photos.

How to Set That One Fast Lap

2 days ago in Articles

Whether autocrossing, qualifying or time trialing, Tommy Archer knows how to post that one fast lap.

I Raced a Bike Through a Mall

2 days ago in Articles

No, it wasn’t a dream, nor revenge against holiday shoppers.

You Need This: C Prepared Ford Mustang for $14,900

2 days ago in News

This 1988 Mustang could be your turnkey entry into autocross competition.

Get Your Subscription Combo Deals!

2 days ago in News

Get both our magazines for the price of one!

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
QoUfKx9KQP9Pnp7oIApJnVMT68QL4IUA