1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/23/19 5:44 p.m.

It is nearly impossible to check for spark by yourself. I need about 8 more feet of wire to succeed. I may just have to wait for the others to be home.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
9/23/19 6:56 p.m.

Check all your fuses.  I had a TBI no start that was driving me crazy and it turned out to be one blown fuse.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/23/19 7:04 p.m.

Also check your negative battery cable - mine was causing an intermittent no start condition on my ‘94.

Brett_Murphy
9/23/19 8:03 p.m.

Good info, thanks folks. I'll check on those tomorrow.

Brett_Murphy
9/24/19 11:54 a.m.

I checked the fuses under the dash quickly. All of them appear to be good. I switched the ACC-Batt and ACC-IGN, since a visual won't show if they are bad.

No change in the status of the truck. 

I'll mess with the battery cables later.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck HalfDork
9/24/19 7:15 p.m.

And if it has the 700R4 trans be sure the TV cable is adjusted correctly before trying to drive it, The trans will crap the bed in a 100 feet if its not just right.

Brett_Murphy
9/24/19 9:06 p.m.

I did nothing this evening except eat tacos and a pistachio muffin.

The trans cable seems to be good, but the trans is leaking badly. Like, the catch pan I stuck under there had an easy quart in it.

Brett_Murphy
9/28/19 3:07 p.m.

There wsa no spark. While I was out running errands, I picked up a distributor control module. The rest of the daylight hours have been designated as family time, but maybe I can get out there later tonight. It should only take 10 minutes to get this thing in.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso Dork
9/28/19 3:08 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

It should only take 10 minutes to get this thing in.

Dangerous words my friend. 

Brett_Murphy
9/28/19 8:03 p.m.

We just got back from dinner after fishing for a bit, and we've got plans all day tomorrow. It'll have to wait.

I did see a white step-side with a very 90s looking sticker package that was either a Sport/Handling truck or a clone on the way home. Their tailgate said "Heartbeat," though. 

Brett_Murphy
9/30/19 4:09 p.m.

I still think that putting in the ignition module is a 10 minute job, but I caught some kind of lurgy and about all I'm capable of is watching TV at low volume at the moment.

Brett_Murphy
10/5/19 2:59 p.m.

It was a 15 minute job, due to me trying to zip tie a connector underneath the distributor cap that prevented everything from lining up.

The truck is running again, though.

Now that it runs, I have to chase down this ridiculous transmission leak I have.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/5/19 4:04 p.m.

Based on my experience with my truck, it will be leaking from everywhere.  Then it will be leaking from the new seals just because.  You're not supposed to use Permatex Ultra on o-rings, but you can thank me later. 

When I sweep my garage, I just push all the dirt to under my transmission.  I have about four years of dirt there. And oil.

Brett_Murphy
10/5/19 7:40 p.m.

This is leaking transmission fluid at the rate of about a quart a week. Obviously something is very wrong.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
10/6/19 9:23 a.m.

Hey...you know you have transmission fluid!

Brett_Murphy
10/6/19 6:39 p.m.

The truck was parked with a dead transmission. When I pulled it, it was full of fresh, bright fluid. However, the bottom of the truck was covered in fluid, too.

I am betting this leak is what killed the first transmission in the first place, and it was filled up with new fluid in an attempt to get it moving again, but the damage was done.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/6/19 7:41 p.m.

So, i guess the question is, what all did you keep vetween transmissions that may be leaking? 

Brett_Murphy
10/7/19 9:30 a.m.

The dipstick, cooler and return line, that's pretty much it.

Dusterbd13-michael
10/7/19 9:41 a.m.

New o rings on them? 

Also, can uou see the wet spot on the trans? Mine always leak from dipstick ans speedo housings when they leak. Or the pan, but thats less common for me.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/7/19 9:43 a.m.

Those leaks should be easy to spot.  The cooler will leak when it's running, the dipstick tube more so when it's parked.

Brett_Murphy
10/13/19 8:45 p.m.

I worked on my FIL's truck today instead of my own.

I got his 904 bolted to the engine. He should be able to hook up the linkage, wiring and hard lines. 

Brett_Murphy
10/14/19 8:11 p.m.

Today I replaced the transmission dipstick seal, which was chewed up badly and leaking, and tightened down the cooler and return lines, which were also leaking. I put in enough ATF to get it into the "hot" area of the dipstick while it was at operating temp in park.

Let's see if it all flows out or if I solved the issue.

Brett_Murphy
10/18/19 12:19 p.m.

No leaks yet. 

New rubber brake lines all the way around and a good bleeding are the next things on the list. I'm just hoping I wind up bleeding less than the truck.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
10/18/19 1:29 p.m.

Fantastic!

Solving a frustrating leak is one of the best feelings.

Dusterbd13-michael
10/18/19 1:37 p.m.

Go ahead and start soaking the flare nuts in 50/50 acetone/atf mix. Itll help.

Also, swap to tge gmt900 master (2000+ truck). HUGE difference in the feel of the brakes. 

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YPgyGH2PGZKO4flnYxiGDpeoLOeKGxbfvkRV8OXhDvobUM3jIO02wEezc9rlznJE