1 2 3
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
12/8/17 8:17 a.m.

"Happy" is a pretty relative term.  I saw an interview once of someone (I think they were in Denmark) asking them about how "happy" they were.  Denmark is one of those Scandinavian countries that consistently ranks near the top in all those "Happiness" indices you hear about.  The response was not what you'd expect.  They didn't define "happiness" in the same way that many of us in America do.  It was more like, they were "content" and "secure".  I think someone who had the same lifestyle as them in America might not be "happy" by our standards.  "What do you mean I don't have a car?  I have to bike everywhere?  Where can I get a decent hamburger?  I have to live in this cramped apartment?"

I find that living in an area with a change of seasons is good for the soul.  You get to experience the good and the bad- and learn to make hay while you can.  The other night I was out in my shop working on a car- it was 38 degrees outside, and my shop has no heat, other than a couple of halogen lamps.  So what?  Put on a hat, and work hard enough that you stay warm!  I'm looking forward to chopping and stacking some cordwood this weekend, and firing up the woodstove in our home.  

There was a book I read once where a guy had a choice to spend the rest of his life on a cold, miserable island or a tropical paradise.  He chose the former.  The logic was, it would keep his mind and body sharp, whereas he would be lazy and atrophy in the tropical paradise.  

Look at some of the crazy E36 M3 that comes out of one-car garages in Finland over those long, long winters.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
12/8/17 8:46 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

Another funny fact that is in keeping with this thread theme. Of the 10 happiest countries in the world, 8 of them are really cold.

This is easily explained.  The human body's response to extreme cold is to shunt blood flow to the core and away from the brain.  The result is confusion and apathy.  Voila!  Happy frozen idjits!

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
12/8/17 9:23 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:
Ovid_and_Flem said:

Another funny fact that is in keeping with this thread theme. Of the 10 happiest countries in the world, 8 of them are really cold.

This is easily explained.  The human body's response to extreme cold is to shunt blood flow to the core and away from the brain.  The result is confusion and apathy.  Voila!  Happy frozen idjits!

Ypu neglected to mention that people who live in cold climates live longer and tend to be taller

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/17 10:07 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Not bursting this bubble! LoL

I lived near Temecula for the last 3.5 years, the hills got cold but the mountains werent in Temecula. In order to feel snow you have to drive up the mountains. In december I could go an hour to Big Bear and snowboard, an hour to the beach in shorts with flipflops, an hour east to the desert, etc etc. Yes there are snowcap mountains there but most of it you'll be in 75-80deg weather all winter unless you go to the snow. wink

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
12/8/17 10:13 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Well, I spoke too soon...GOT 5 " OF SNOW EARLY THIS MORNING IN CENTRAL MISSISSIPPI.  But...high tomorrow in mid 50s.angry

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
12/8/17 1:18 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

pretty great place wasn’t it?  Close to snow but warm. close to ocean but no salt air. out of San Diego, out of LA, but close to both. Affordable housing( well for Southern California ) 

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
12/8/17 1:19 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

then you’ve got more snow than we have so far this year

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/8/17 1:20 p.m.

Come to Southern California.  It's so hot here we are literally on fire! surprise

yupididit
12/8/17 1:25 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to yupididit :

pretty great place wasn’t it?  Close to snow but warm. close to ocean but no salt air. out of San Diego, out of LA, but close to both. Affordable housing( well for Southern California ) 

Yeah, I mostly miss it. 

I almost lost my house to a fire in 2015 LoL.

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
12/8/17 1:37 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Yeh, fires mudslides and sooner or later the big one.

But oh do I like it!!!!! 

yupididit
12/8/17 1:50 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

The Big One can happen at any moment now. Imagine that with these fires!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kmkgH2MqdD7ecoVVJ66oJ8FpcLf7rp7Dhumxb7lZwQxjlquxN8OWR7TTOGkyDdRA