Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/13 11:03 a.m.

So awhile back when the C7 Corvette specs were released I lamented on the weight gain despite switching all Corvettes to the aluminum chassis. Well now the details of the C7 convertible have been released, and guess what? It gets the new aluminum frame, too! Not only that, but it has no other additions, stiffeners, or bracing at all. Yikes! When's the last time you heard that about a convertible? Yes, this means the C7 'vert will actually be lighter than the C6 'vert. Color me impressed.

I'll take my humble pie with some Frank's Red Hot please.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
4/6/13 11:15 a.m.

when the C5 came out, they bragged that they designed it to be stiff in convertible form then added a roof later..

Javelin
4/6/13 11:28 a.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

But it didn't happen. The C5 convertible has a lot of extra weight in the form of extra chassis bracing.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/6/13 11:54 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to novaderrik: But it didn't happen. The C5 convertible has a lot of extra weight in the form of extra chassis bracing.

Actually coupe and convertible were the same weight ... Like the poster above mentioned, the C5 was designed as a convertible. Now the C5 Z06 hardtop was lighter.

J

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
5/6/13 8:00 a.m.

Before you eat that horrible crow:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/05/c7-corvette-puts-on-90-pounds/

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
5/6/13 8:20 a.m.

So, it's about the same weight as a 1.4L Dodge Dart...

forzav12
forzav12 HalfDork
5/6/13 8:20 a.m.

the Corvette is still light by today's standards, consider that the lastest Lambo vert is nearly 4200lbs!

Javelin
5/6/13 8:56 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Before you eat that horrible crow: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/05/c7-corvette-puts-on-90-pounds/

31.5 lbs of infotainment electrics!!!

Thanks brave.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
5/6/13 9:06 a.m.
Javelin wrote:
bravenrace wrote: Before you eat that horrible crow: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/05/c7-corvette-puts-on-90-pounds/
31.5 lbs of infotainment electrics!!! Thanks brave.

Well done Javelin for miss quoting. It's not just infotainment but all the electronics. The battery cable from front to rear will be a chunk of that to. I'll bet the electronicsa arn't out of line with other similar priced cars.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/6/13 11:44 a.m.
forzav12 wrote: the Corvette is still light by today's standards, consider that the lastest Lambo vert is nearly 4200lbs!

Yeah, well, that's road-hugging weight, therefore the Lambo is better and you should feel bad.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/6/13 12:02 p.m.
forzav12 wrote: the Corvette is still light by today's standards, consider that the lastest Lambo vert is nearly 4200lbs!

Ugh, quit reading Car and Driver type magazines. The car is more like 3550lbs.

forzav12
forzav12 HalfDork
5/6/13 12:53 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:

maybe if you remove the engine.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/6/13 12:57 p.m.
forzav12 wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
maybe if you remove the engine.

I believe you're quoting GVWR, not curb weight. The only Lambo that has weighed that much is their SUV.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/13 1:03 p.m.

According to Lamborghini, 3,583 lbs for the Aventador Roadster and 3,417 for the Gallardo Spyder.

speedblind
speedblind HalfDork
5/6/13 1:59 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Javelin wrote:
31.5 lbs of infotainment electrics!!! Thanks brave.
Well done Javelin for miss quoting. It's not just infotainment but all the electronics. The battery cable from front to rear will be a chunk of that to. I'll bet the electronicsa arn't out of line with other similar priced cars.

Most Corvette owners could stand to lose 30 lbs. or so. I'd wager they're the same that complain about every 2 lbs. of weight gain on the new model. ;)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6n1nr98v6HG4IqGYnVHZWggoKFbEMAFhewPYvwEuRGGkabK0E6fQijdPGD46iTzJ