G_Body_Man Dork
Oct. 29, 2015 8:56 p.m.

Before is above.

The fix doesn't look too bad, right?

Well then, I guess I actually needed a nut, a bolt, and washers to center the rearward top mount. At least the fender edge is rounded so I won't get a defect notice anymore.

Brett_Murphy PowerDork
Oct. 29, 2015 9:43 p.m.

A defect notice?

G_Body_Man Dork
Oct. 29, 2015 10:22 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: A defect notice?

AKA a fix-it ticket.

Oct. 29, 2015 10:29 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man:

Man they are strict on you guys up there. I've daily driven cars without bumpers, or fenders, or hoods and no one has ever said one word to me about it.

bluej SuperDork
Oct. 29, 2015 10:30 p.m.

for a mis-aligned bumper?!?! sweet cheeses, that's 1/3rd of the cars in DC...

G_Body_Man Dork
Oct. 29, 2015 10:46 p.m.
bluej wrote: for a mis-aligned bumper?!?! sweet cheeses, that's 1/3rd of the cars in DC...

It's more because a sharp edge was sticking out, so the police would be concerned about someone cutting themselves on it.

MrJoshua UltimaDork
Oct. 29, 2015 11:09 p.m.

SkinnyG Dork
Oct. 29, 2015 11:10 p.m.

I don't think you will find it that bad here in Kelowna.

Just don't drive bad enough to give them a reason to pull you over.

G_Body_Man Dork
Oct. 29, 2015 11:21 p.m.
SkinnyG wrote: I don't think you will find it that bad here in Kelowna. Just don't drive bad enough to give them a reason to pull you over.

I don't drive badly, but with my luck I'll catch a mountie on an off-day and get popped for a vehicular defect or two This weekend, I'm just going to order the proper part. It's $15 shipped from Rock Auto, so it might pay for itself. On a side note, I've decided to continue distance learning, this time through KLEOS. If you need someone with a van in the next 5 or so months, PM me.

T.J. UltimaDork
Oct. 30, 2015 12:57 a.m.

I damaged the bumper cover, inner fender liner and a undertray when I hit a racoon back in the fall of 2013. Since then nearly my entire front end plastic has been held on by zip ties. Someday I may fix it, but maybe not until I want to sell the car. I am only missing two parts. The cover for where the tow hook screws in and one of the little vents that look like they might be for brake cooling but I think are only there for looks. I just have a hole where that is supposed to be.

foxtrapper UltimaDork
Oct. 30, 2015 5:00 a.m.

Not sure why you think this would upset the zip-tie gods, they exist just for this purpose.

Wife ripped apart a Volvo fender liner once with a raccoon (fascinating mess). Volvo makes at least seven million variations of fender liners, all available at local junkyards, none of which would quite fit her car. I finally took a few hours and drilled a hundreds of holes and used probably darn near a hundred zip ties, and put all the parts back together, remaking her fender liner. I was pretty impressed, it was gloriously Frankensteinish. Was still in that car years later when we sold it.

Jerry SuperDork
Oct. 30, 2015 6:00 a.m.

Survived 3 events so far, including one with a co-driver that was much better than me.

wbjones MegaDork
Oct. 30, 2015 7:19 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: A defect notice?

a defect notice, as in … not legal to drive without being fixed ?

dang … my old Impreza had both bumpers and one of the fenders held on with zip ties …

as screwed up as NC's inspection system is, that passed without a second glance

GameboyRMH MegaDork
Oct. 30, 2015 7:47 a.m.
Jerry wrote: Survived 3 events so far, including one with a co-driver that was much better than me.

Nice color-coordination!

My Samurai's whole front grille is held on, and held together with zip ties...but it was originally held on with those awful fragile plastic plugs, so this is an improvement.

Jerry SuperDork
Oct. 30, 2015 8:17 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Thanks! Could have gone with generic black, but #becauseracecar.

Apexcarver PowerDork
Oct. 30, 2015 8:21 a.m.

I should take a picture of my Miata's undertray... Whole thing is stitched together with zip ties because who wants to pay like $70 or whatever for an undertray?

I cant even tell what was wrong with your car in the first place

Vigo PowerDork
Oct. 30, 2015 8:39 a.m.

This has me thinking about the whole 'butterfly flaps its wings in the forest' thing. I've never been hassled for something so stupid as a misaligned bumper cover. I have like 20 cars in various states of E36 M3tiness and am pretty much balls deep in the car hobby and profession at this point. I kind of wonder how many people were subconsciously persuaded not to get crazy into the car hobby because of ridiculous laws making it a giant hassle to even think about it.

Probably millions.

G_Body_Man Dork
Oct. 30, 2015 10:45 a.m.
Vigo wrote: This has me thinking about the whole 'butterfly flaps its wings in the forest' thing. I've never been hassled for something so stupid as a misaligned bumper cover. I have like 20 cars in various states of E36 M3tiness and am pretty much balls deep in the car hobby and profession at this point. I kind of wonder how many people were subconsciously persuaded not to get crazy into the car hobby because of ridiculous laws making it a giant hassle to even think about it. Probably millions.

I know a guy who got a $120 ticket for a crack in his bumper the length of your index finger. The whole defect system here is a farce. if you have a sharp edge on your bumper, or a stone chip in your windshield that's bigger than a nickel, they can give you a defect ticket. Which reminds me, I have to fill that chip in the windshield.

Knurled MegaDork
Oct. 30, 2015 11:36 a.m.
G_Body_Man wrote:
bluej wrote: for a mis-aligned bumper?!?! sweet cheeses, that's 1/3rd of the cars in DC...

It's more because a sharp edge was sticking out, so the police would be concerned about someone cutting themselves on it.

Man, I'd call that vehicluar self-defense against people who lean against other peoples' cars.

doc_speeder HalfDork
Oct. 30, 2015 12:51 p.m.

Holy crap I love Alberta

Furious_E Reader
Oct. 30, 2015 1:12 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: .......Mountie..........

Don't they all just ride horses anyways? Just make a run for it

(I know that's not actually true. Probably.)

dean1484 MegaDork
Oct. 30, 2015 1:16 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote:
bluej wrote: for a mis-aligned bumper?!?! sweet cheeses, that's 1/3rd of the cars in DC...

It's more because a sharp edge was sticking out, so the police would be concerned about someone cutting themselves on it.

Man, I'd call that vehicluar self-defense against people who lean against other peoples' cars.

Tazer to the door sill makes them jump back away from your car fast. Just don't be touching anything metal in the car when you do it.

Oh and you could purchase tazers at Kmart when they first came out. We had all kinds of fun playing with those things.

G_Body_Man Dork
Oct. 30, 2015 6:22 p.m.
dean1484 wrote:
Knurled wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote:
bluej wrote: for a mis-aligned bumper?!?! sweet cheeses, that's 1/3rd of the cars in DC...

It's more because a sharp edge was sticking out, so the police would be concerned about someone cutting themselves on it.

Man, I'd call that vehicluar self-defense against people who lean against other peoples' cars.

Tazer to the door sill makes them jump back away from your car fast. Just don't be touching anything metal in the car when you do it.

Oh and you could purchase tazers at Kmart when they first came out. We had all kinds of fun playing with those things.

Did they advertise their tasers as having shockingly low prices?

irish44j PowerDork
Oct. 30, 2015 9:20 p.m.

I literally have 20+ zipties holding the entire front clip onto my 2009 WRX. And I've never even rallycrossed the car or anything. But every single stock clip or fastener (upper or lower) has broken, fallen out, or been torn out at one point or another in the last 100k miles. And the plastic edges of the clip are so brittle that many zipties have ripped through it as well.

To say nothign of all the underneath splashguards and stuff, which are basically nonexistant at this point.

For a car with "rally heritage" Subaru surely makes the wimpiest, most pathetic front clip and splashguard/wheel liners on the planet.

Meanwhile, the liners and guards on my 1985 BMW are still there, with stock hardware, after 4 seasons of rallycross

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Wendi Allen Scholarship Recipients Named

2 hours ago in News

Haley Oosterhof and Elayne Man have proved to be outstanding SCCA members.

Focus on Rallycross With Us

1 day ago in News

We're headed to the Firm this Saturday for some rallycross fun.

Spend Your Evening on Track for Just $50

1 day ago in News

April is "Member’s Month" at SCCA's Track Night in America.

Get Our Magazine in Print and Digital for just $16.99

1 day ago in News

Now is a great time to renew or start subscribing to our magazine.

KMiata

1 day ago in Articles

Does Honda power create the perfect Miata?

Project Mustang: An Effort to Standalone

1 day ago in Project Cars

We put an AEM engine management system in our Mustang.

Meet Hurley Haywood at the Mitty

2 days ago in News

Porsche will be the featured marque at the Mitty, and we have a Porsche legend for you to meet at ...

2017 Subaru BRZ

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

The internet has doled out a lot of mixed opinions on the BRZ and its twin, now called the Toyota ...

Reader's Ride of the Week: Autocross Ranger

3 days ago in News

This is no ordinary Ranger.

SCCA Announces 2017 Track Night in America Schedule

4 days ago in News

Spend an evening at the track with SCCA this year.

A Silent Auction for Gearheads

4 days ago in News

Lemons of Love, one of our favorite charities, is organizing an online silent auction tonight.

The Snell Game

6 days ago in Articles

Answering 8 questions about Snell helmets.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
zLtdkmsNXwqdH45oJezG717KaAcBObcw