1 2 3 4
Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/20/17 8:55 p.m.

I am also not a huge fan... although I was going 85 or more when this happened. The energy equations make no difference unless you calculate the transfer to the deer. In this case the whole deer except about a 5lb chunk that was stuffed into the fender/headlamp flew up over the car and off the bridge onto the railroad tracks below. The airbag gave me two black eyes and filled the whole car with white smoke while still traveling at high speed in the grass median of an interstate highway interrupted by bridges. That was full of panic and hilarity.

If that deer walked into a bar where I was having a drink right now I'd kill him again. Slow-like.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
3/20/17 9:13 p.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

That's some damage! And what a story!

Here's mine for comparison:

[URL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/derekrichardson/media/IMG_5532.jpg.html][/URL]

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/20/17 9:19 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to Huckleberry: That's some damage! And what a story! Here's mine for comparison: [URL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/derekrichardson/media/IMG_5532.jpg.html][/URL]

Hahahaha! Deer Strike 2017! Never Forget!

When the Flying Spaghetti Monster gives you lemons... make Lemonade. Same car many years later:

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
3/20/17 9:23 p.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

Oh deer! I bet that cost a few bucks to repair! Or did you'd ace some doe by fixing it yourself?

I want my next daily driver to look like the more current photo.

I love how that looks!

Crackers
Crackers Reader
3/20/17 9:30 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Random math: At 35mph, you have 36% more kinetic energy than at 30mph. The difference in damage between those two speeds will be significant. Edit: Kinetic. Doh.

While I don't know how to calculate it, I did know energy compounds as speed increases. (I don't even know if compound is the right word.)

An engineer friend of mine explained it to me while we were going 160 in his land speed prepped caddy. I remember becoming instantly terrified. LOL

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/20/17 9:31 p.m.

Lesson here: You should have been going faster. Much faster. Deer vaporize above a certain velocity.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/20/17 9:45 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to Huckleberry: Oh deer! I bet that cost a few bucks to repair! Or did you'd ace some doe by fixing it yourself? I want my next daily driver to look like the more current photo. I love how that looks!

That was a 2yr build done in my garage that took a 4dr stock E30 and turned it into a BMWCCA CMOD semi-tube chassis race car with mostly E36 M3 running gear, engine, trans and so on. 2340lbs wet. It has gone thru several iterations weighing as little as 1900lbs at one point - but it was terrifyingly fragile for the speeds it was capable of so we added more tubing and safety stuff.

In that pic it was detuned for the 2016 AER endurance racing season at 230wHP and 2400lbs wet sans driver. So... yes. It cost about maybe 20x what the original car was worth when it was pristine. And all I ever got for winning anything were some sweet beer mugs with my name engraved on them. Still, totally worth it :)

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
3/20/17 9:47 p.m.

Dude said he suspects a deer was hit by someone going a bit above the speed limit.

You hit a deer, a bit above the speed limit.

Sounds like he's got you on this one, but what's it to you?

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
3/20/17 10:25 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory:

Try to move on. You won't win as popular opinion has set in. Speed kills everything. Noise of a car is directly related to speed. Anyone who goes against these "truths" is a barbarian and obviously a speeder.

If you get labeled as a speeder then if a tree branch falls on your parked car everyone will assume you actually crashed into the tree due to speeding.

While your speeding would harm the deer more. The post does not follow any logic of connecting the blood to speed. If there was a deer carcass with such a such damage then maybe some analysis could derive speed as a factor. A puddle of blood does not equal deer. Did the poster taste the blood? Why not some dogs eviscerated a goose? Or my oh my someone was murdered?

Their certainty might just imply that they witnessed it or have video cameras on the property.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/20/17 10:51 p.m.

Maybe he killed someone and was trying to blame the "deer blood" on speeders

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/17 11:04 p.m.
patgizz wrote: Maybe he killed someone and was trying to blame the "deer blood" on speeders

Maybe he killed someone who was doing 35 in a 30 mph zone...

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
3/21/17 4:33 a.m.

Tiger Mom got a speeding ticket last year for going 35 in a school zone (25). On a brightly lit, divided, clear and straight road. She paid the fine and moved on but I have driven that same road just to check how it feels. 35 is so slow as to feel silly. I'm pretty sure the stopping distance at 35 in a modern vehicle is inside the length of said conveyance.

Most speed limits are pretty arbitrary and more for revenue collection than safety.

Obligatory deer story: my uncle hit a deer in New York State once. Did no damage to the car but knocked out the deers eyeball which was stuck to his bumper. He left it there for a week as a warning to other suicidal deer.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
3/21/17 5:05 a.m.

The replies sure make me feel less awful about the (now evil) deer.

If I let myself, I might actually feel like a did a good thing

And I wasn't happy feeling like I needed to defend myself going 35 in a 30 at 5:30 am on a Sunday morning.

Yes, I was technically speeding but I don't feel like it was an ethical violation!

I'd love to GPS that guys car and see if he practices what he preaches.

jh36
jh36 Reader
3/21/17 5:24 a.m.

My suburban has been attacked twice by deer. First time when my sons were PARKED at the end of a farm lane. T-bone to the rear quarter. Next, I was driving near that same area. I STOP for a herd to cross the road and a rogue buck came from 8 o'clock low hitting my rear door, careening into my door taking off my mirror then smacking the windshield with his antlers breaking it. Three side panels and a windshield. He was fine. I hate deer. The most incredible hit I ever saw was at summit point by a legends car probably going around 100. They were pulling deer guts out of that thing for hours.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
3/21/17 7:00 a.m.

Deer = Rats on stilts

We have removed their natural enemies and many feed them.

Sure they are cool lawn ornaments,

but make lousy hood ornaments....

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/21/17 7:03 a.m.

My normal commute to the NJ office is pretty much through heavy deer country. In 21 years, I've been lucky and only hit one. A fawn that was DOI after I center-punched it with the TDI. It busted the grill and hood release. I saw mamma deer run across - hit the brakes - while slowing, baby #1 runs across - still slowing, here comes baby #2 - thud. Then there was the surreal image of the fawn looking like it was hovering in front of me as I came to a stop before landing on the road and sliding into a mile-marker post. I got moving again and pulled off at the next side street (little shoulder on this road) to inspect damage.

The odd part is I was in traffic, so I was going about the speed limit (45) which is far under the speed I normally go on that road.

I've since developed a different theory. Hitting a deer is less about speed and more about time. The more time you spend in deer country, the more likely you are to hit one. So drive really fast to minimize the amount of time.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
3/21/17 7:16 a.m.

I just remembered: in my '94 Bronco, almost at my friends house (within a mile of my OP) and a buck ran and LEAPED out in front of me. I heard a thud but knew it wasn't a body hit.

I pulled into my buddies driveway and noticed my swing-out mirror was knocked in a bit and a 3" black smudge in the chrome.

Apparently I hit his hoof as he sailed across in front of me.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
3/21/17 7:22 a.m.

I am driving the camera car in this picture, taken from a GoPro video mounted on the top right of the windshield. This is not altered in any way. The deer bounced off the Alfa that was leading the race at the time and flew over the open roof of my car (boat) at Summit point. The Alfa had a shattered windshield, the deer cleared my car completely and ran off.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
3/21/17 7:25 a.m.

In reply to Sonic:

I'm sending that to my friend, he'll get a kick out of that, like I did!

(From that photo I can tell you're speeding!)

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
3/21/17 7:40 a.m.

Yes, I totally am, such a terrible person.

Here is the video.

Oh deer

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/21/17 7:43 a.m.

In reply to Sonic:

That is one of my favorite pics to have ever graced this site.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
3/21/17 7:44 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Okay, that was gross.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VyxqTYlW1FM

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
3/21/17 8:02 a.m.
Sonic wrote: Yes, I totally am, such a terrible person. Here is the video. Oh deer

I will NEVER stop giggling at that video, no matter how many times I've seen it.

trucke
trucke Dork
3/21/17 8:04 a.m.

So, nobody told us how fast the deer was going.

Why was the deer in the road?

Why is it always the fault of the person driving a car when they are where they belong, on the road!

If the deer was bleeding, why did it go to 'that' guys driveway? Maybe the deer hates him too!

WilD
WilD HalfDork
3/21/17 8:50 a.m.

I have hit one deer and been a passenger in a couple other incidents. I don't recall a lot of blood, but E36 M3 was EVERYEHERE.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aThJpXeKifyqDn709u9pTKdVWVgkiM2ohzeMAFqqqDr1YS5rM0k7qxikYBRLM8wP