1 2 3 4 5
car39
car39 HalfDork
1/5/18 3:04 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

I bought one of those too, because it seemed no matter which way I went, the wind was always in my face.  It's one of the toys that failed to make the move south of the Mason Dixon line.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/5/18 3:10 p.m.
Harvey said:
Apexcarver said:
Harvey said:

The tractor thing seems pretty tedious unless it's an actual tractor. My neighbor used to plow the driveway with his John Deere lawn tractor, but he has been laid up with some physical ailments of late. That wouldn't push more than maybe 8 inches of snow at most, probably not more than six.

I keep thinking about getting a cheap half ton to plow with, but it seems like a waste of driveway space.

used to have a John Deer lawn tractor (one of the bigger V twin hydrostatic) that had a front mount snowblower.  That always got the job done, even in 3+ feet.

Blades, yeah, I doubt they have worth over a few inches at a time removal.  Its all gotta go somewhere and at least with a blower, its up and away instead of adding to a load you are trying to push somewhere. 

The lawn tractor + front mount snowblower I could justify.

That's the outfit I've got and use here.  You definitely have to find the snow blower and associated equipment at the right price though (used) -- if you by new, by the time you get the lift kit, chains and wheel weights along with the blower attachment itself, you're looking at more than Challenge costs.  You may also find you need to augment the lighting on the tractor.

Not that you'd really need to dress any different using a walk behind blower, but it takes just about as much time to put on Carrharts, boots, balaclava and ski goggles, I've got about as much time into the job as it will take to clear the snow.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/5/18 3:45 p.m.
xflowgolf said:
Harvey said:

In reply to Woody :

I really just want a utility plow to fit on my truck. I can't believe I lucked into the one version of this truck that doesn't have a front hitch you can mount on it. Literally every other version of this has a hitch. The Expedition of this year, the F150, even the Lincoln Mark LT (aka Lincoln F150) has an available hitch and later Navigator years have one too! The Curt people apparently never made one for this particular year due to low demand. I guess the configuration doesn't match any of the other trucks.

As alluded above, I wonder if the issue is just a bumper styling clearance issue.  like...if you yanked the bumper would it bolt to the frame?  Assuming it will physically bolt to the frame, you could either go no bumper while the plow is mounted...or if it just needs a little trimming is this a "nice" truck?  ...or something you could cut a clearance notch on the bumper? etc.  

This is why I was thinking about just buying the one that fits that year's Expedition and seeing if it can be made to fit. The Curt guy on the phone alluded to possible differences that could affect things, but didn't sound like he had specifics for this particular situation.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/18 3:55 p.m.

Nothing to add other than after this weeks storm I am getting a plow for my truck. 

Hay I wonder if I could put one on my wife’s H2

Harvey
1/5/18 3:56 p.m.
dean1484
1/5/18 3:57 p.m.

The difference between the Expedition and the lincoln may only be in the plastic bumper covers or something like that. I bet you could make it work but it may require some cutting. 

Harvey
1/5/18 3:59 p.m.

Wait...

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/grd/d/john-deere-tractor-snow/6400396063.html

Hmm... I realize I know nothing about lawn tractors or whether this would be a good buy or bad buy or what to check to see if the thing is borked up.

dean1484
1/5/18 4:13 p.m.

You are better off with a bigger snowblower. Mine finally decided to stop working after 15 years of service.  I was loaned a 8hp mtd and it got the job done (I have an option to by it) but I had to help it more and could only take half to 3/4 swipes of the snow and it did not toss it nearly as far. My one that just died was a 9hp sears with the same width auger and it was much better.  I was actually looking at going to a 10 hp or more.  The loaner is from a friend. He closed his buisness and has three for sale. This and two 13 hp track drive Honda’s. I like the Honda but the track drive makes them an extreme PITA to move when not running.  My other option is either a used 10 hp huskvarna or 10hp Arins. The local shop has them for sale. The Honda’s are going to be big $$$ as they were close to $3k new. They were purchased in the fall of 2017 and not used at all as we had no real snow last year. They are over kill but would hopefully be the last snowblower I would need to buy. 

dean1484
1/5/18 4:15 p.m.
Harvey said:

Wait...

Hmm... I realize I know nothing about lawn tractors or whether this would be a good buy or bad buy or what to check to see if the thing is borked up.

That is a really good deal. The blower attachment is worth half the asking price. 

Harvey
1/5/18 4:20 p.m.
dean1484 said:

You are better off with a bigger snowblower. Mine finally decided to stop working after 15 years of service.  I was loaned a 8hp mtd and it got the job done (I have an option to by it) but I had to help it more and could only take half to 3/4 swipes of the snow and it did not toss it nearly as far. My one that just died was a 9hp sears with the same width auger and it was much better.  I was actually looking at going to a 10 hp or more.  The loaner is from a friend. He closed his buisness and has three for sale. This and two 13 hp track drive Honda’s. I like the Honda but the track drive makes them an extreme PITA to move when not running.  My other option is either a used 10 hp huskvarna or 10hp Arins. The local shop has them for sale. The Honda’s are going to be big $$$ as they were close to $3k new. They were purchased in the fall of 2017 and not used at all as we had no real snow last year. They are over kill but would hopefully be the last snowblower I would need to buy. 

This might be the thing. I'm using this one right now, which was certainly an improvement over the tiny one I had borrowed from my inlaws at one point, but I'm thinking you might be right that bigger is better.

http://www.snowblower.com/specs/murray/dual-stage/1695539.html

I think this makes 6.5hp at most.

That said, I still wouldn't mind being able to just have a utility plow on the truck.

Harvey
1/5/18 4:23 p.m.
dean1484 said:
Harvey said:

Wait...

That is a really good deal. The blower attachment is worth half the asking price. 

It's an older tractor, but then again my neighbor has an older Deere and it keeps on going. I'd have to rent a truck to get it back here as I don't think I can stuff it in the back of the Navigator. Then again he might have sold it already after this last snowstorm.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/5/18 4:32 p.m.

In reply to Harvey :

That Deere is a Garden Tractor, made from 1975-1987.  The Garden Tractor is more suitable for medium type yard work.  A lawn tractor is for light duty.  Try to get a "manual" trans vs Hydro, they are a little  stronger.  Check belts, idler pulley and oil.  Ask for some kind of maintainence records.  Also ask where he stored it, very telling on how well he kept it.

Dirtydog
1/5/18 4:37 p.m.

▶ 1:22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUsEFX8JwxY

1. Similar

Dec 9, 2014 - Uploaded by SNOWSPORT® Snow Plows

See how easy it is to install a Curt 31352 front mount for SNOWSPORT® Utility Plow on a 2004 Lincoln Mark V ...

Harvey
1/5/18 4:47 p.m.
Dirtydog said:

▶ 1:22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUsEFX8JwxY

1. Similar

Dec 9, 2014 - Uploaded by SNOWSPORT® Snow Plows

See how easy it is to install a Curt 31352 front mount for SNOWSPORT® Utility Plow on a 2004 Lincoln Mark V ...

Do you think my Google Fu is that weak? I’m a high ranking black belt.

Yeah I saw that. The truck there is an F150 under the covers whereas mine is an Expedition under the covers, different chassis. When I talked to the curt guy he indicated that the hitch for that fits different due to the angle of the frame rails. If anything I’d get the Expedition version of the hitch and see if I can make it fit.

Now though I’ve spied things like this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-Deluxe-30-in-2-Stage-Electric-Start-Gas-Snow-Blower-with-Auto-Turn-Steering-921047/207118324

i mean, if it drives and steers itself and has hand warmers it can’t be too bad.

Dirtydog
1/5/18 4:58 p.m.

No Google fu harm intended.  Not a bad deal on the snow blower.  I also have a Navigator, but no interest in plowing with it.  They also sell a hitch mounted plow, but you could break your neck backing up all the time.  A snow blower is what I use.  Snow blowers work well if you don't have a ton of property to do.

dean1484
1/5/18 5:10 p.m.
Harvey said:

Wait...

Where you at?  That tractor is only a couple hours from me. 

dean1484
1/5/18 5:15 p.m.

What year Navigator are we talking about here?  

Harvey
1/5/18 6:25 p.m.
dean1484 said:
Harvey said:

Wait...

Where you at?  That tractor is only a couple hours from me. 

Shelton, CT

Harvey
1/5/18 6:25 p.m.
dean1484 said:

What year Navigator are we talking about here?  

Harvey
1/5/18 6:29 p.m.
Dirtydog said:

No Google fu harm intended.  Not a bad deal on the snow blower.  I also have a Navigator, but no interest in plowing with it.  They also sell a hitch mounted plow, but you could break your neck backing up all the time.  A snow blower is what I use.  Snow blowers work well if you don't have a ton of property to do.

No offense taken, just kidding around... though I truly am a master of Google Fu. Pretty sure that encompasses over half my job.

I didn’t think about that, the rear hitch mounted plow. For a one property job that might actually not be that bad. Having it on the rear kind of makes it more maneuverable if a bit less straightforward to use.

Harvey
1/5/18 6:38 p.m.

Except now that I look at prices the plow is almost as much as that giant Ariens snowblower with the heated grips and power steering.

dean1484
1/5/18 6:43 p.m.
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/18 6:47 p.m.
Harvey said:

In reply to Woody :

You have good ideas. I want to subscribe to your newsletter.

Your driveway + parking area is about as large as mine, but the problem is mine is partly on a hill. That's where most of the work comes in. I also share part of my driveway with the neighbor and his part is all uneven gravel. I try to help out with that too.

Full disclosure:

I have a Fisher Homesteader plow on my Tacoma. I just use the snowblower for the sidewalk, patio and to clear a path out in the yard for the dog to poop.

I spent about 20 years plowing with a Jacobsen tractor. I even had a front mounted snowblower on it for a while. Tractors really suck for snow management. You need the plow for light storms and the snowblower for big ones. After using the snowblower, you need to clean up with the plow. The swap over is a fairly huge job. They are way too light to get any kind of traction. Plan on plowing several times through the course of the storm to keep the snow at a manageable level.

I couldn't wait to get a roof and a heater. I bought a four cylinder Jeep and the plow. Everything became awesomer. Eventually, I swapped that plow over to the Tacoma.

Harvey
1/5/18 7:55 p.m.
dean1484 said:

This said it fits

https://www.realtruck.com/k2-snow-plow-mounts/R184557P2004Y331MA.html#price_group

https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Winter-Accessories/Snow-Plows/_Lincoln-Navigator?year=2004

Im liking this. Custom mounting system is included if you buy the DK2 plow. I can work with this.

Harvey
1/5/18 8:04 p.m.
Woody said:
Harvey said:

In reply to Woody :

You have good ideas. I want to subscribe to your newsletter.

Your driveway + parking area is about as large as mine, but the problem is mine is partly on a hill. That's where most of the work comes in. I also share part of my driveway with the neighbor and his part is all uneven gravel. I try to help out with that too.

Full disclosure:

I have a Fisher Homesteader plow on my Tacoma. I just use the snowblower for the sidewalk, patio and to clear a path out in the yard for the dog to poop.

I spent about 20 years plowing with a Jacobsen tractor. I even had a front mounted snowblower on it for a while. Tractors really suck for snow management. You need the plow for light storms and the snowblower for big ones. After using the snowblower, you need to clean up with the plow. The swap over is a fairly huge job. They are way too light to get any kind of traction. Plan on plowing several times through the course of the storm to keep the snow at a manageable level.

I couldn't wait to get a roof and a heater. I bought a four cylinder Jeep and the plow. Everything became awesomer. Eventually, I swapped that plow over to the Tacoma.

I think you guys are pointing me in the right direction. I really don’t want to be outside.

Now I’m thinking, could I do the rear hitch thing or would that make me nuts and be almost expensive as doing the custom front mount plow.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mbRNrrR1tGJEfgrzlIbt50I2Bhl6gclg2gngc1dkuJD68FwLrHJvcaOgFSHzEX8V