1 ... 3 4 5
APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/14/19 6:41 p.m.
bigeyedfish said:
NickD said:

Not the only truck you can't put a plow on. If you put a plow on a '17+ Duramax and then drive over 45mph, it will throw a P106A Charge Air Cooler Efficiency - Low. Continuing to drive above that speed will blow the engine up. And GM has said that there is no fix for it, just deal with it. Customers are livid that their new $75k truck can't do what their old truck could do or what the other diesel trucks can do.

I'm commenting on this before reading the whole thread, so my apologies if this has already been discussed.  Who the heck buys a brand new truck and puts a plow on it?  To me that says, "I hate money" more than just about anything else in the car world.

I do.  Or I did when I lived in snow country. It wasn't uncommon for met to spend 12 hours or more in the truck when it snowed and I wanted all of the creature comforts that I could get.  I use my trucks for everything.  Daily driver, tow pig, snow plow, vacation rig... Why not have the nicest one I can afford?  I buy them as new as I have to in order to get what I want and I run them till they have between 250 and 300k miles on them.  Sometimes as new as I have to in order to get what I want is brand new.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/19 6:50 p.m.
Woody said:
Harvey said:

I'm back on the snowplowing track again. Can anyone comment on the usability of an ATV for plowing?

The reason that they make plows for ATVs is so that guys can convince their wives to let them buy ATVs.

Ha!

Woody said:

In reply to Harvey :

If you still want to explore the option of a front mounted hitch, I have a brand new Curt hitch for a Tacoma that I'm never going to use. I'm getting tired of moving it around my barn. You're welcome to take it and cut it up to see if you can make something that will work for you.

I appreciate the offer, but my fabrication skills do not extend to that level of difficulty. I often have trouble bending things properly. After I considered the ATV thing I realized I have very little area I can ATV safely on since I live on the steepest of steep hills, not that this precludes me using it as a plow, but as you say you don't get an ATV just to plow. I came back around to thinking that I should just get the 10hp blower with the steering and heated hand grips and that would be good enough.

The next truck I get though I'm making sure I can fit a front hitch on it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/19 7:52 p.m.

The smart/cheap/boring/warm choice is to buy a high mileage Jeep XJ Cherokee that already has a plow on it. You can probably find one locally for a grand. 

Harvey
2/17/19 10:29 a.m.
Woody said:

The smart/cheap/boring/warm choice is to buy a high mileage Jeep XJ Cherokee that already has a plow on it. You can probably find one locally for a grand. 

You right.

https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d/greenlawn-jeep-cherokee-limited-with/6798402544.html

Though Long Island is not so close. 

Woody
2/17/19 10:32 a.m.
Harvey said:

Sure it is. You can see it from Shelton.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/19 10:45 a.m.

In reply to bigeyedfish :

We put plows on all our new pickups and suburbans. We aren’t buying them as plow trucks specifically but trucks that have plows. I doubt anyone with a large fleet is going to be combing Craigslist for used beaters to mount plows on.

Harvey
2/17/19 11:10 a.m.
Woody said:
Harvey said:

If only Moses had built that bridge across the sound. I got no place to park the thing anyway.

twowheeled
twowheeled New Reader
2/17/19 3:52 p.m.
Ian F said:
twowheeled said:

what I don't understand is why nobody has come out with a simple cheap kit that mounts to a standard hitch and isn't made for a farm and doesn't require a 1 ton truck. I have a 5 car driveway and I just want to be able to  hook up something light to my car, back it up and down my driveway 50 times and be done with it. I have heard various stupid arguments from its really hard on your vehicle, to why don't you just quit being lazy and shovel, that's what 2 stage blowers are for...yadda yadda yadda. If designed properly it would work. 

You mean, one of these? The price varies depending on the vehicle you have, but they are considerably less than a more commercial-grade plow.

no not quite. This is the issue I'm talking about, to run this plow you have to have a vehicle with a front mount hitch which limits you to a truck or suv. Specifically either a really junky old truck or SUV, or installing a very expensive front hitch on a modern truck SUV, plus $1700 for this kit. 

Basically I want a commerical version of this, to be sold at harbor freight for $300. The logic seems to be, if you have a driveway that small just shovel it by hand or use a snow blower. No. Because I'm lazy. I would rather back my car up and down the driveway than push snow by hand. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLp7XEKtAP4

Woody
2/17/19 4:29 p.m.
Harvey said:
Woody said:
Harvey said:

If only Moses had built that bridge across the sound. I got no place to park the thing anyway.

There is a boat though. See if they can drive it to Port Jeff. For $50 you can get it to Bridgeport. 

Woody
4/1/19 8:19 p.m.

$250 Honda 250 Quad with plow. I'd buy this if I had the time to get out there!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2646908408714882/

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9kwmioSsh03fgV1T16FW6DnIhTctpLJotNSYwwI8BWeWA3moF4NpMUIKAEUrelZy