1 2
Son_Of_Toyman
Son_Of_Toyman Reader
8/26/16 3:51 p.m.

Well the family got bigger about a month ago. So the 94 Exploder I drive right now is to small. I have 4 kids, a wife and myself to transport.

I would love a crown vic but the newer ones only seat 5 (can I fit a Grand Marquis front bench in there to make it seat 6). Maybe some kind of wagon.

The other problem is the Explorer was fun but it is slower than molasses. I would love something v8-powered if I can afford to fuel it. I am not 30 yet and still like to punch the throttle every so often but the fastest thing I own is my wifes 97 Nissan Quest.

The budget is 3500 Max. I'm not necessarily looking for something right this minute because I don't have the money together, but once the Explorer and another carsold I want to have my mind made up and be looking for something.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
8/26/16 3:55 p.m.

As much as I want to sell mine, a crew cab truck with double benches is insanely practical. I just turned 160k on mine hauling four kids back and forth to school and all over the place.
There's very very few cars that seat six that are interesting, so the alternative is practical and that leaves you with either a minivan or a crew cab truck.

Son_Of_Toyman
Son_Of_Toyman Reader
8/26/16 4:04 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

I know! I want something big that is still entertaining. There has got to be something out there. I don't want to drive another darn minivan. I drove them when I was a kid I drove one for 2 years as an adult. Reliable and amazingly practical but I just don't feel right punching the throttle off the line in a minivan (even if the darn thing was quick). Might compromise on a turbo van but they are like hens teeth.

I blame dad for this because he let me auto cross the crown vic and now I am all unhappy with the Exploder.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/26/16 4:05 p.m.

The answer will be Minivan.
I am currently sporting a '05 Nissan Quest that seems pretty good and bought for $1,200
It has been a good "starter minivan" and when I am done with it it will likely be replaced with a more current minivan.

There is a lot of love around here for the current Chrysler/Dodge Minivans. The general sentiment is that they are the right tool for the right job.

Son_Of_Toyman
Son_Of_Toyman Reader
8/26/16 4:09 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

LOL I could not find that car in my area for that price. That is a 5000 + dollar car here. Unless it is just torn the heck up and has well over 200000 miles.

DanyloS
DanyloS Reader
8/26/16 4:10 p.m.

Suburban

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/26/16 4:15 p.m.

In reply to Son_Of_Toyman:

Sun burn paint
True miles unknown due to bad odo (fixed for $6 to reveal 124k miles!)
Odd melted rear tail light and center brake light.
Non working AC in Florida
Generally really dirty, family van (but cleaned up well.)
Engine light for misfire in #5
Rebuilt title back in '09 when it had 55k miles on it. Tailgate is not the original.

All these factors lead to the low purchase price. Details

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/26/16 4:15 p.m.

Agreed. Minivan. Sorry.

On the plus side, studies have shown that minivan moms are hotter than SUV moms...

Also, there's this:

And yes, it's all your dad's fault .

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/26/16 4:40 p.m.

7 replies and no one has given you the right answer... three Miatas of course!

Honestly, the answer to fit six people is not likely to be fun. Van or crew cab are likely the best answers. Is there any possibility of getting a family car and a fun car for weekends/autox?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
8/26/16 4:43 p.m.

Only choice I would see is in early 2000 to 2004 model Tahoe with 2wd and third row seating with third row seating. Usually comes with LS1 motor that is easy 350 2 400 horsepower upgrade upgrade. Lower ride height slightly, some decent suspension , tires and bushings, Etc. Can pull out seats if you want to autucross it etc

Could easily be made into a great sleeper ride

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/16 4:46 p.m.

Have you thought about a bus?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
8/26/16 4:47 p.m.

There ARE cool minivans..... My favorite minivan (and one that is in your price range) is the first generation Odyssey. It drives much more like a slightly tall Accord (which it is) than a regular minivan. I genuinely loved mine and didn't feel that it was a penalty box in any way. You'd have to find a pretty accommodating club to let you AX one though.
After the Odyssey we did the truck + one other car for five years. The truck was the heavy lifter for damn near everything and my wife got to drive the fun car, a first generation TT, the rest of the time. It was actually a pretty spectacular pairing to live with.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
8/26/16 4:51 p.m.

Would be cool to take a white Tahoe and wrap in Brady bunch livery with scraps from a graphics company,

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/16 4:55 p.m.

The R63 isn't a minivan, it doesn't have sliding doors. Its just a slightly taller wagon. :)

Look at rental sales, there's almost always a few minivans available. The 4th Gen Chryslers are pretty peppy for boxes on wheels, even if they aren't the prettiest.

I would also suggest a Mazda 5, which is a slightly smaller and more fun minivan (sliding doors and 3rd row seats) and it is available in stick.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
8/26/16 4:57 p.m.

Kind of a link between the R63 and the early Odyssey isn't there? Both just tall wagons. Pretty much the same thing.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/16 5:06 p.m.
XLR99 wrote: Agreed. Minivan. Sorry. On the plus side, studies have shown that minivan moms are hotter than SUV moms... Also, there's this: And yes, it's all your dad's fault .

Guess I am off to get my wife a MiniVan.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/26/16 5:14 p.m.

Buick Park Avenue Ultra: 0-60 in less than 8 seconds, seats 6 in moderate comfort. See also Bonneville SSE.

Volvo V70 with the rear jump seat. Cars are shockingly quick. Add trailer hitch and utility trailer and/or cartop carrier for long trips.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
8/26/16 7:20 p.m.

Ex Police Tahoe? I know they usually are a little lower than normal height. Not sure if you could bolt in a jy third row seat in them or not..

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/26/16 7:24 p.m.

Four kids before your 30th birthday. Wow. I'm trying to keep from making off color suggestions. Mostly what I bet you need is sleep. So whatever you get should have a bed in back.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/26/16 7:39 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: There ARE cool minivans..... My favorite minivan (and one that is in your price range) is the first generation Odyssey. It drives much more like a slightly tall Accord (which it is) than a regular minivan. I genuinely loved mine and didn't feel that it was a penalty box in any way. You'd have to find a pretty accommodating club to let you AX one though. After the Odyssey we did the truck + one other car for five years. The truck was the heavy lifter for damn near everything and my wife got to drive the fun car, a first generation TT, the rest of the time. It was actually a pretty spectacular pairing to live with.

Also one of like two Hondas id own. Especially if it said isuzu on it.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/16 11:00 p.m.

Mazda 5 is your answer: No, not a powerful V8, but you can get it with a stick and it handles like a car and still hauls 6 people in comfort. A few former and current owners on here can shine in. It can be a lot of fun.

The other option of course is the Kia Rondo, but I am not sure you are ready for that level of power and awesomeness.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/26/16 11:34 p.m.

The Tahoe is an excellent suggestion. As noted, the Police Package is "pursuit rated" and can actually turn for an SUV. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a regular Tahoe took all of the Police Package bits.

Plus, all of the Go-Fast parts for the LSx will probably work on the engine, too.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/26/16 11:46 p.m.

Near me the Pursuit Tahoes go for $7k or so at the state auction with ~100k miles. A little out of price range sadly. They look like a good package.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/16 12:48 a.m.

They are expensive, but getting a vanilla Tahoe and putting on the Pursuit bits over time may be an option.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
8/27/16 8:01 a.m.

The PPV bits are primarily the shocks and springs and they're not very expensive especially if you need to replace the shocks on an older vehichicle anyway.
I have a friend in Oklahoma who won his local HS championship with his Mazda5, so there are some clubs that will let them run.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VoLPOFH0a9rHlVZjS1aV9gqdWhSQKSnyFFBn7TeD94MkloDWHzpZk26IS62GhbuX