1 2
mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
6/16/15 9:09 a.m.

I've just been given permission for deucekid#2 to drive a kart with the local independent rallycross group starting in the fall. Ideally we break out the welder and build one, and that's the long term plan once he's driven for a bit and learns about them, but in the mean time I'd like to just buy something.
What's out there?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
6/16/15 9:12 a.m.

How much suspension do you need for this course?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/15 9:16 a.m.

you also need tear offs, lots and lots of tear offs

RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/16/15 9:16 a.m.

RossD pulls up a chair and a note pad.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
6/16/15 9:20 a.m.

What kind of kart competes in rallycross? I see a need for real suspension.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
6/16/15 9:24 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

I wonder if they'd let him run a sandrail.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
6/16/15 9:36 a.m.

Tarmac karts and dirt-bound karts are VERY different things.

He'll need front and rear suspension. although the lawmower races I've seen have little if any suspension...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
6/16/15 9:44 a.m.

Watching this as I want to build a kart to run out in the woods.

For my daughter.

At least that's what I'm telling myself.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
6/16/15 10:05 a.m.

Doesn't need suspension, but does need larger tires. Most of the venues are smooth and reading the course is a valuable skill. A suspended kart will be a building project for the future.
He likes the guys we run with and hops in for rides with a half dozen of them. Actually participating is going to be a big deal to him.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
6/16/15 10:13 a.m.

Maybe a champ kart with some of these

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
6/16/15 10:24 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CNBb4j9pJg

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
6/16/15 10:25 a.m.

Manco dingo? I had one of these for a while, typical old go kart problems (periodic frame repairs), would need brake upgrades. Not bad other than that. They have just little bit of front suspension, the knuckles slide on the kingpins with a little spring around the kingpin.

photo SDC10457.jpg

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
6/16/15 10:25 a.m.
JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
6/16/15 10:26 a.m.

Are there any kids in your region running carts currently? If yes, go get the same cart so the kids can race Spec.
If your boy comes out with an inferior cart and gets beaten every time, that could be discouraging and lead to a premature dislike of the sport.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
6/16/15 10:35 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Manco dingo? I had one of these for a while, typical old go kart problems (periodic frame repairs), would need brake upgrades. Not bad other than that. They have just little bit of front suspension, the knuckles slide on the kingpins with a little spring around the kingpin.  photo SDC10457.jpg

This is pretty much the kart my in-laws have and would work perfectly if I could find one. Nobody is running anything consistently enough that he would have anyone to race with, but he would be out playing with the grownups and that would make him happy.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
6/16/15 10:50 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Manco dingo? I had one of these for a while, typical old go kart problems (periodic frame repairs), would need brake upgrades. Not bad other than that. They have just little bit of front suspension, the knuckles slide on the kingpins with a little spring around the kingpin.  photo SDC10457.jpg

This brings back memories. Had a friend who tried to sell these out of his retail establishment. Ended up with like 4 of them at the farm and we carved a track out of the cornfield. There was alcohol involved. Corn cobs hurt. And lets just agree that they need more suspension than they have.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/16/15 10:54 a.m.
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
6/16/15 10:56 a.m.

Nohome: That gives me an idea.

What about a couple of valve spring on the spindle bolt for some travel? Cheap and simple solution.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/16/15 10:58 a.m.
mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
6/16/15 10:59 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: And lets just agree that they need more suspension than they have.

Lack of suspension builds character, and a deep seated desire to learn suspension design. I'm hoping for a series of chassis/engine upgrades culminating in a SAE Baja type car.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/16/15 11:04 a.m.

World Rally Kart/ROC buggy/Rage buggy is what you are talking about.

or you can just find an old Honda Pilot/Odyssey.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
6/16/15 11:12 a.m.

Or a bridge between karts and cars would be a Beetle pan minus the body and build a cage around the driver.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
6/16/15 11:16 a.m.

We're getting project creep here guys. He's turning 12 and does not need a trophy kart like thing, at least not until he builds it himself.
Yard kart. Bigger tires.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
6/16/15 11:21 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: We're getting project creep here guys. He's turning 12 and does not need a trophy kart like thing, at least not until he builds it himself. Yard kart. Bigger tires.

My daughter is getting this. Using lawnmower tires and tubes.

Picked up a kart with no engine and a roll cage for 75. All four tires for 40. Had a Honda engine. All I need now is time, a clutch and chain, and a couple of cables.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
6/16/15 11:33 a.m.

I think I'm going to sell mine if anyone is near Mi.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BsMWDouSYoNm35zK95aAM3RSrFBWbtKGg2VJUOMNWA63DNf6bhPezAWHxNm3KopW