singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
5/29/14 8:52 a.m.

So the seats in my insight are killing me on 45 mile one way commute a day. If you want to argue about the commute, find my other thread. Anyway, I have thought about selling the damn thing but the mileage is awesome even with my lead foot and my next car will have to be family friendly so I am waiting for a bigger budget reserve before heading down that road.

My Question is what is your favorite driver seat for long hauls.

Import things to me: Lumbar support Good support for a 6ft+ 200lbs+ guy Available in white/gray/black, tan isn't an option for me. Fit in a first gen Insight, bigger than you would think. Much easier than a miata for seat upgrades. Not going to cost me a grand a piece. I am willing to sink some dough into this but I can't afford new Recaros at 3500 a piece!

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
5/29/14 8:53 a.m.

Find some used Recaros

cafcwest
cafcwest HalfDork
5/29/14 8:57 a.m.

Over on InsightCentral, I have seen a lot of S2000 seats and few Evo Recaro swaps.

Anything can be made to fit....just that whole time/money/fabrication factor. Try sitting in a few of the popular seat swaps, and if nothing fits, find a seat YOU like and make it (or have someone make it) work.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
5/29/14 9:10 a.m.

Yeah, I have seen that and also there was someone that did 350z seats too. Just looking for opinions on some good seats to look for. A friend has an E38 7 series that I might try a test fit with. If those beasts will fit, anything will.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
5/29/14 9:27 a.m.

These look nice

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-09-MAZDASPEED-FRONT-SEATS-W-AIRBAG-BLACK-RED-STITCHING-OEM-SEAT-/190904529588?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c72cbf2b4&vxp=mtr

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
5/29/14 9:42 a.m.

http://stores.ebay.com/JustJapsImports-Inc/SEATS-/_i.html?_fsub=6284024015&_sid=500238465&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

These guys do free shipping. I am thinking about the MK5 GTI seats with plaid. Those look comfy

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/29/14 9:52 a.m.

Whoa... i'm glad i know that seller exists now.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
5/29/14 10:02 a.m.

I made an offer of 425 for the pair, shipped! I am not so patiently waiting a responds. I am not 100% on the plaid in my GREEN insight but I don't care, it might look awesome!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/29/14 10:15 a.m.

Why not go even funkier or baller?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-JDM-ORIGINAL-RECARO-SEATS-RED-HOT-AND-BLACK-COLOR-FOR-UNIVERSAL-FROM-JAPAN-/171338800964?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e4969f44&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-RARE-ORIGINAL-RECARO-SEATS-GOOD-SHAPE-FROM-JAPAN-FIT-FOR-UNIVERSAL-AND-JDM-CAR-/171341298644?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e4bcbbd4&vxp=mtr

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
5/29/14 10:22 a.m.

And they will be here next Wednesday!! 425 shipped. These guys are awesome. Talked with Craig of Just Jap Imports. Cool guy, happy to have found them.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
5/29/14 10:24 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

I ACTUALLY had both of those saved but they were both above my limit shipped (600) and the grey ones would take 8 weeks and didn't have rails. Love the red though.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
5/30/14 11:28 a.m.

Cool, those look comfy with good bolsters. Should match the color scheme pretty well too.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
5/30/14 1:39 p.m.

Uhh I'm mostly posting so I can easily find this thread later for scientific purposes. That being said, good luck in the seat project and post a build thread!

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/14 1:53 p.m.

That's cool!
Seats make a HUGE difference in any car. Glad you found some that will work better.

This is another reason I like Subaru's. I put WRX seats in my Forester and the entire swap took me 15 minutes.

catapultkid
catapultkid New Reader
5/30/14 5:46 p.m.

Please post up a image when done. Also have a insight and mk5 gti. Would love to see the combo together as the insight seats aren't the most comfy. However I never deemed the mk5 seats to be either...

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/30/14 6:32 p.m.

Thanks for the links, they will come in handy eventually.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
5/30/14 6:49 p.m.

Like Ben i am now super happy to know that that ebay seller exists..

As for Insight seats, this is unwanted .02 but i found their comfort level changed a lot with my weight. Even though the car itself can fit a massively tall person (i have sat 6'6 and 6'7 in my driver's seat), the seats are not comfortable on the lower back for a wide person.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
5/30/14 8:12 p.m.

Well I'm not a tiny man. If I were 140 lbs and 5'5" it would be better.

I can't see how the VW seats can suck as much as the insight seats. No lumbar support, thin padding with no springs, just a metal plate.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xPbxCAGW0i7eUzCBkZWX8PMri8ZchcpV3zCp26wTl4Kc6cqQgJaxem7S3dfhhoZw