Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/20 9:08 p.m.

So I need to grab a rear wheel hub for the 350z tomorrow.  Looking at it the easy junkyard way to remove it is to remove the spring so I can swing it out to get to the bolts.  Pretty sure the yard removes jacks from vehicles so which ones have better hidden jacks so I can lower the spring pocket somewhat safely?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/18/20 9:18 p.m.

Get a buddy to huck one over the fence to you?

I'd think some semi-sketchy spring compressors would do you better.  Disassemble and hide em in the bottom of your tool bag?

Vajingo
Vajingo New Reader
9/18/20 9:22 p.m.

Ask the junkyard for a jack to purchase. Walk around with it and use. When you come back just say "I change my mind"

Stampie (FS)
9/18/20 9:25 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Actually I have some.  Why didn't I think about doing it correctly?

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
9/18/20 9:41 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Actually I have some.  Why didn't I think about doing it correctly?

Because Whiskey.

Stampie (FS)
9/18/20 9:45 p.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

I'll have you know I started thinking about this totally sober.  The whiskey happened to continue the thought process.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/18/20 9:47 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

No comment.

LOL

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/18/20 9:58 p.m.

Last time I had this dilemma the yard kindly told me I could certainly purchase a jack from them, but in no way would said jack enter the yard.

I paid for one wheel barrow full of parts and got my hand stamped to come back in for more. While unloading the first round of parts, the scissor jack from my trunk accidentally fell into the bottom of my tool box. Flash my receipt and hand stamp on the way back in; they never reinspected the box....

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/20 10:19 p.m.

My main yard doesn't look twice at me rolling in with a couple floor jacks.

BionicTigerShark (Forum Supporter)
BionicTigerShark (Forum Supporter) New Reader
9/18/20 10:27 p.m.

I never had a problem finding a jack in any of the three yards I use, and never had anyone check my tool box either.  The one yard I use actually let's you drive your vehicle through,  I always bring a floor jack when I visit that one.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
9/18/20 10:57 p.m.

A driveshaft makes a great lever arm

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/20 6:01 a.m.

If the spring height/rate is similar to the Altima, the spring isn't under all that much preload.

That said, if you can get a battery operated angle grinder with a nice cutoff wheel, you can cut the spring in chunks until you can get it out of your way.   Need a cutoff wheel, springs take absolutely forever to cut with a reciprocating saw and you will go through many blades.  Yes, the first coil is going to be pretty sketchy.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
9/19/20 6:52 a.m.

Why do u-pull-its not let you take in a jack?

wae
wae UltraDork
9/19/20 7:02 a.m.

In reply to DWNSHFT :

Because guys getting crushed to death by cars in their field is bad publicity.  One of the local yards had someone get killed a couple years back because he jacked up a car and it fell on him.  After that, they put every car up on stands made of two steel wheels welded together and they purged the place of every service jack.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
9/19/20 7:15 a.m.

Suburban/Tahoe's stow the jack in the rear interior plastics, drivers side.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/19/20 9:34 a.m.

Sometimes when i replace strut assemblies I scrounge intact bumpstops and dust boots off the old ones, and even though i own spring compressors i still tend to just lay it on the ground in front of me while im sitting, put both my feet on the strut mount, and zip the nut off with an impact. It gives a bit of a kick but due to the weight of the strut (vs only the mount and spring in video above) it tends to only get launched 10-20ft. Am i recommending it, no. But i've learned a lot of hard lessons about various things, and this is one thing i still do. cheeky

Stampie (FS)
9/19/20 10:08 a.m.

It ended up being a moot point.  My spring compressors wouldn't fit in where the spring was so I started looking at other ways.  Once I got the axle and sway bar out of the way my impact could get to the bolts.   This isn't a strut just a spring by itself. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X4kfCfs1iJflqfe6EOSEBzQGTSjPAkNv6vQitTYRxrms4TGKRPrWDgBCFLtTLhRW