1 2 3
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/29/14 1:05 a.m.

Cadillac has an AWD CTS wagon.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
7/29/14 6:47 a.m.
docwyte wrote: Pretty sure BMW never imported the 535ix touring with a manual transmission here. Otherwise it definitely hits my hot buttons.

They absolutely did. I've seen them... drooled over them... had one that was for sale in NJ on my Autotrader "saved" list for awhile.

I've been pondering one and may do it when I decide I'm done with EVER wrenching on my daily drivers other than maybe oil changes (I'm getting VERY close to that point).

My main concern is the gas mileage and the 100 mile commute I do, but I've kinda gotten used to low-mid 20's in my Caravan, so I may be able to live with it.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
7/29/14 6:53 a.m.

WRX/STi, Evo, BMW X Drive.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
7/29/14 10:37 a.m.

Baby seats, AWD, turbo power and Subaru safety and reliability. Mine is a 2006 XT Limited bought used. Mileage is 19-20 in mixed driving. Maybe 21 in the winter on a good day.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
7/29/14 10:40 a.m.

I liked my WRX it was fun to drive and plenty of room in the back for children.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/29/14 10:55 a.m.

I just stumbled across this ad.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1014417

I have a 2010 5351 X-drive wagon, E61, white/black, M-package, navigation, 6 speed manual, 59, 000 miles, ordered new by dealer sales manager, I purchased CPO in April, 2011. Car is warranted through 8/26/2015 plus FULL SERVICE BMW CONTRACT AND WARRANTY. Recent Dinan Stage 2 upgrade. I have factory build sheet, all records, keys, books, two sets of mats, set of Drag 18 inch winter wheels, etc. Excellent condition, garaged, non-smoker, accident free. This is an extremely rare car, VIN CW98241, probably less than 300 in country. Fast, economical, practical, excellent handling, all the goodies. I have three 6-speed manual wagons, and I need an automatic. The other two are not worth much of anything (01 S4 Avant, 05 A4 Avant), so am selling this one. Located in northeast. Looking for close to $35,000.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/29/14 11:02 a.m.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
7/29/14 3:21 p.m.

I have found that the new GTI's handle better than the '11 Golf R. I would also suggest an AWD E46 or E90 and a WRX.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
7/29/14 4:16 p.m.

Volvo V70R? Buy the cleanest, lowest mile 2007.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/29/14 5:55 p.m.
ryanty22 wrote:
irish44j wrote:
ryanty22 wrote: With XDrive
No DINAN, No Care.
Dinan doesnt make parts for it? too new? or too dieselly. Could probably make a coal rollin smokestack for it though

I just meant that he hadn't added a DINAN badge onto the back like the guy with the "///M" "Alpina" X-Drive 535i at my work has.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/29/14 6:00 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

That old boy ain't just a casual wagon fan.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
8/4/14 2:39 p.m.

Ok, think I've narrowed the list down to the following...

'07/'08 Audi RS4
Pros: Extremely nice interior, V8 grumble Cons: Not a hatchback, carbon cleaning, unrealistic selling prices

'08-'13 Mitsu Evo X Pros: Recaro seats, insanely quick with mods Cons: No warranty if modded, stupidly small trunk

'08-'13 Subaru STI hatch Pros: Utility with hatchback, good aftermarket support Cons: Interior quality is poor, potential engine issues

'06-'08 Porsche Cayenne Turbo Pros: Utility, can tow with it Cons: Abysmal MPG, surprisingly bad stereo/interface, high mileage for entry price

So all of these cars are hovering in the $30-35k range. In Denver, the STI sells for a premium, just because. What's the scoop on the engine in the Evo? Any issues with it?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/4/14 4:04 p.m.

Pity these didn't make it over from Japan:

I haven't heard much about problems with the 4B11, there is obviously still more experience with the 4G63 but people have figured out how to squeeze a fair amount of power out of the 4B11. That said, I did look at the cliche WRX/STI/Evo owner and decided I'd rather buy a new one.

BTW, with the Cayenne, make sure it's got the plastic coolant lines done if you're looking at one that has them, because they're a PITA and thus expensive to do.

coldaudio
coldaudio New Reader
8/5/14 5:38 p.m.

I'm in Denver and have got a 2015 WRX, I'd be happy to let you check it out if you'd like. It's a good looking car, get stopped so someone can check it out a few times a week. Very happy with the purchase - fun to drive, great gas mileage, has handled the foothills up to about 8,000 feet very well.

Eastwood_Company
Eastwood_Company New Reader
8/5/14 5:55 p.m.

As stated the easy way is a subaru or mitsubishi.

The GR's 08+ wrx/sti have a ton more 2nd row space than the GD (04-07) and the newest bodies the FU, well not as appealing. But they are in my eyes considered high maintenance vehicles. MPG's are nothing to be looked upon either considering most came with 3.90-4.44 gearing. 6SPD makes up for it but not by much.

4B11 is a dominant motor in the game now. Flawless and far surpasses the 4G63 in power and reliability. Also a bunch of other vehicles actually use the bottom end for their cars IE: KIA, Hyundia, Mitsu, and working its way into some domestics. Obviously all have variences over an evoultion motor.

Next would be vovlo, bmw, mercedes, audi, domestics. I do NOT care for the haldex based awd system (fwd until traction is lost) My 00 Impreza RS handled and performed better in snow compared to a family members 07 ford fusion awd.

But can never go wrong with a Jeep SRT8 or even a trailblazer SS

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/5/14 6:13 p.m.

In reply to docwyte:

4b11 is solid. Only consistent complaint I have seen is the pump for the active rear diff clutches can go bad. I would never buy an evo used but at $32k that isn't a big deal.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
8/6/14 9:00 a.m.

The main reason to get the Cayenne would be the towing ability. Neither the Jeep SRT8 or the Trailblazer SS can tow enough for me to want to deal with their handling dynamics.

Only thing I'm worried about with the STI/EVO is living with the inferior interiors vs Audi/BMW that I'm used to driving.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
8/8/14 3:13 p.m.

I'm thinking about something similar here. I feel like I need to drive a 2015 WRX because everyone keeps raving about them, but I'd rather have something more special along the lines of an Evo or STI. I don't want to own another EJ25 car though, I'm one of those with a bad popped engine experience and I'm not paying Subaru for the chance at another. If only Subaru could put the WRX turbo FA20 in the BRZ, and a worked over FA20 in the STI, both I and the internet would be so pleased!

Evo X MR would be nice because my wife could drive it then and we'd have some more flexibility, but the price is pretty crazy. BoxheadTim - pretty happy with yours thus far?

I don't even want to see pics of that Evo IX wagon, their absence here makes sense but also makes me so angry.

Or I just suck it up and get the S2000 I really want, and put snow tires on it in winter, and rig up something crazy to carry my kayak occasionally :D

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
8/8/14 3:34 p.m.

Got a pretty good price offer on the '15 STI. I need to check one out in person tho to see if the "upgraded" interior is nice enough for me vs an Audi.

I admit to being puzzled as to why Suby stuck with the EJ25 in the new STI vs putting in the FA20 with a larger turbo etc to differentiate it from the WRX.

Newer tech, better spool, much better mpg's. Makes you think they're going to drop it in soon, which makes these first STI's orphan cars with crap resale...

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
8/8/14 11:39 p.m.

I think that Subaru stuck with the same engine in the STi vs. the WRX getting the new engine because of cost. They did many different and substantial upgrades to it like a stiffer chassis, better AWD system, etc. They did so much that /DRIVE made a show about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qz7P9fy9cM&list=PLHa6PXrV-yIjVxqIG9Oj2SbqtYvf8R0f4

In 10+ years, the hot swap for the STi will be to put the FA20 with a different turbo in it.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
8/9/14 9:36 a.m.

Yeah, but you have to figure that Suby is going to put the FA20 into the STI as soon as they can.

Trying to decide if I want to drive 2 hours round trip to see a '15 STI in person as well as a APR Stage 2+ Mk6 Golf R.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/9/14 9:46 a.m.
turtl631 wrote: Evo X MR would be nice because my wife could drive it then and we'd have some more flexibility, but the price is pretty crazy. BoxheadTim - pretty happy with yours thus far?

Yep, so far so good. It's of course overkill for a DD, at least until it snows, but I like it.

Mind you, we specifically bought the MR so my wife could drive it and so far, she hasn't. Well, we've only had it for a year...

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
8/9/14 4:28 p.m.

That's also my thoughts. No point buying a car for me "So my wife can drive it" because I know she never will. So now I've just gotten something I didn't really want...

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
8/9/14 5:06 p.m.

I seem to have the opposite problem. Two days this week I have woken up to find my Charger missing from the drive way because the wife took it for the day. She prefers the Charger over the Tahoe we just bought for her.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
8/9/14 10:36 p.m.

That never happens to me. All my cars are manual transmissions and despite my trying to teach my wife how to drive them, she's just not interested. That means I never have to worry about her bogarting my car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6TvQGKcK5tKvMiH7s9Gzpg0ML6XIoUnv1XQ5Oks36I3P3pkbc7EvgyCpQAozE782