Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
2/7/16 9:20 p.m.

Do you think that in a year and a half or so the BR-Z/FR-S prices will drop to around 10K for a decent example?

Alternatively, what interesting things may be getting down to that price point in a year and a half?

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
2/7/16 9:23 p.m.

My hunch is they will be closer to 12-13k for a decent one

11-up v6 mustangs and camaros should be around 10k by then

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/7/16 9:24 p.m.

No. I'd say start looking in 3-4 months at ones languishing on dealer lots when they want to move them out. The used ones for sale by private owners are probably beat on. I wouldn't trust one.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/7/16 10:00 p.m.

No, I don't see the car getting a second generation causing owners to hang onto them and with no competition in the new market and nothing similar having been sold in 15 plus years they'll have a cult status and tax associated with them. Get a genesis 2.0T instead and enjoy.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/8/16 7:47 a.m.
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock wrote: Do you think that in a year and a half or so the BR-Z/FR-S prices will drop to around 10K for a decent example? Alternatively, what interesting things may be getting down to that price point in a year and a half?

Not quite but you could get lucky. Figure by year five they will be down to half of original purchase price.

The good news is that despite the cars reputation/image as a track car that will be flogged every day, the buyers on either side of the median are going to be conservative personalities who bought the car for its image and are now ready to get rid of it for its realities (sports cars are not for everyone and babies happen).

If you shop carefully, you should be able to find plenty of pampered examples that never broke a sweat. Any sign of aftermarket mods would put me off the sale. Manual transmission cars don't sell well as a rule so that should also work in your favour.

Before you buy one, question your intentions. The engine works quite well and if you look at the inner workings, it is a bit of a jewel. However, they left zero meet on the bone for extracting more power while maintaining any kind of reliability. While the chassis certainly has potential, the engine potential is maxed out when you buy the car. You can boost it, but have a spare engine in the wings; it ain't no Miata in this respect.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
2/8/16 7:56 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

My intentions would be to absolutely beat it like it owes me money in street class autox and stock class rallyx. That would be the cars number one objective.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
2/8/16 8:40 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: No, I don't see the car getting a second generation causing owners to hang onto them and with no competition in the new market and nothing similar having been sold in 15 plus years they'll have a cult status and tax associated with them. Get a genesis 2.0T instead and enjoy.

I've seen several listed for 14K. Was hoping they would continue to slide down.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/8/16 9:11 a.m.
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock wrote: In reply to NOHOME: My intentions would be to absolutely beat it like it owes me money in street class autox and stock class rallyx. That would be the cars number one objective.

And it will do a great job until it breaks. Keep it stock and it might even last a while.

There are LSx and Coyote kits to deal with the aftermath if it all goes wrong.

As to getting your price, I bet that dealers are already paying that price at trade-in. Your job is to shop in such a way that you intercept the seller before the car becomes a trade-in.

Everyone I know that is constantly getting great deals on cars are doing so because they are actively looking all the time and ready to move.

The beauty of buying what was a passion buy for someone, is that once the passion is gone, they want the thing gone ASAP so they can get on with their life.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
2/8/16 12:18 p.m.

The twins tick every single box, except for price at the moment.

The Camaro is too big and heavier than I want. Same goes for the mustang, just not as bad.

The genesis is interesting, I'll need to look into those.

Really, a WRX makes the most sense, but they have too many doors and I prefer RWD.

If I can find a Miata with a hardtop for sale, and I fit, that will be in the running as well. I don't have the patience or desire to try and find a hardtop, deal with shipping, then painting. Too much hassle.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
2/8/16 1:00 p.m.
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock wrote: The twins tick every single box, except for price at the moment. The Camaro is too big and heavier than I want. Same goes for the mustang, just not as bad. The genesis is interesting, I'll need to look into those. Really, a WRX makes the most sense, but they have too many doors and I prefer RWD. If I can find a Miata with a hardtop for sale, and I fit, that will be in the running as well. I don't have the patience or desire to try and find a hardtop, deal with shipping, then painting. Too much hassle.

What about an NC with the PRHT?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/16 1:24 p.m.

I really am not too impressed with the Genesis. It feels more to me like a Korean Mustang than a small fun car.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
2/8/16 1:32 p.m.

In reply to Cooper_Tired:

If I fit and can get one for 10K it will work.

rslifkin
rslifkin Reader
2/8/16 1:51 p.m.
Knurled wrote: I really am not too impressed with the Genesis. It feels more to me like a Korean Mustang than a small fun car.

Considering the frisbee twins weren't out yet when they first built that thing and the power to weight ratio, I have a feeling they were going more for Korean Mustang than Korean Miata.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
2/8/16 2:05 p.m.

I think 10k is asking too much...you can barely find any for under 15k now. Now if you don't mind a flooded vehicle to use as a track/autocross only vehicle you can get those for CHEAP all day long! If I were building a track FR-S I'd go the flooded car route and do all the work it needs to get it going. It would be worth it to rebuild the motor with better internals and do a better head and valve sealing job than factory...stupid oil leaks.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
2/8/16 2:09 p.m.

Genesises (Genisii?) suck as autocross cars. They are understeer monsters. Great cars otherwise though. Would make a great DD.

What about a 350z?

Early s2000s can be found for under 10 if convertibles are ok.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
2/8/16 3:00 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon:

No convertibles due to rally. It's a shame because the s2k fits me like a glove.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/16 9:22 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Genesises (Genisii?) suck as autocross cars. They are understeer monsters. Great cars otherwise though. Would make a great DD.

A sample of one is not data, I know, but one of my customers has a 2.0T with Brembo package. We get to service it and we (meaning Knurled) get to dismount and remount four rubber band snow tires or summer tires twice per year.

Besides absolving me of ever wanting to personally own and maintain a car with 19" wheels (sorry, RX-8 R3) I note that the car itself doesn't seem to be aging well. The synchros are gritchy and grindy and the amount of drivetrain slop and clunk grows with every visit to my humble office.

The seats are nice.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/9/16 9:54 a.m.
Everyone I know that is constantly getting great deals on cars are doing so because they are actively looking all the time and ready to move.

Yup. A lot of people act like they are jealous of those of us who get 'awesome deals' but not many of them want to do what makes it possible, which is spend a significant portion of your life watching ads for things that 99.9% of which you will never own or touch, and have thousands of dollars sitting on standby to buy E36 M3 you don't need, which of course usually has to be with the agreement of your significant other.

So if you get your SO on board, spend hours and hours of your week looking at listings, and keep thousands of dollars around waiting to buy E36 M3 you don't need, its actually pretty easy.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
2/9/16 11:25 a.m.

In reply to Vigo:

Well, I've got a year and a half to work on her

ptmeyer84
ptmeyer84 New Reader
2/9/16 11:51 a.m.

In reply to Vigo:

This sounds like me! Well? except for having thousands of dollars laying around. Oh, also I guess I don't really have the SO on board either. So apart from that...

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
2/9/16 2:17 p.m.

I found a couple FRS' for $12k. I'd say they might dip into your range in a year and a half.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dFVjOKWjD2msjlcpNIZ1qztj9SpCVP1dKDTipDqR7mCoKQJmO9WgNVW0lXPcGmO9