Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/16 12:21 a.m.

Waited until the comparo issue came out. Decided on the RaceQuip PRO15 in Gloss Steel. My last helmet was a G-Force, and I liked it, but the visor screws were fussy and the bottom rubber strip wore out twice, so I decided to switch brands. Thanks for giving us the low down on all of the options (and explaining the updated SA2015 ratings).

PS - The place I ordered from can thank the GRM ad for the purchase.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
3/3/16 7:52 a.m.

I bought a Racequip 2 years ago and am very happy with it, except it is to big. I am one of those that fit between a XL and XXL. I am considering purchasing the PRO15, not sure what size to get.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
3/3/16 8:22 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I got the exact same helmet and added a tinted visor. Glad the article helped. And thanks for buying from one of our advertisers!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/3/16 10:31 a.m.

Rock On! Thanks for supporting those who support us! Glad the article helped in making a decision.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke Reader
3/3/16 10:42 a.m.

Let me know what you think of yours, I found mine sorely lacking in padding especially in the forehead area and extremely uncomfortable, coming from a Rocket Carbon helmet. It's hard to argue with the price and SA2015 sticker, though. I had to order one size up, seems to fit small (could just be head shape)

RaceQuip
RaceQuip New Reader
3/3/16 11:21 a.m.

In reply to Dietcoke:

Just some helpful info on SA2015 helmets: This is a completely new set of specifications for all helmet manufacturers so it required re-tooling in most cases. In the case of RaceQuip, we have built new molds and new liners for our SA2015 spec helmets so they do fit a little differently than previous models. Always check the manufactures size chart before purchasing because there is no standardization in the industry.If a helmet is loose in the cheek or crown, you need to go down a size. Hope this helps!

Dietcoke
Dietcoke Reader
3/3/16 11:24 a.m.

The helmet is extremely tight and unpadded in the crown/eyebrow line and loose in the cheek. It's just the way the helmet is shaped/designed. I had to go all the way to 3X just to get one that fits the brow at all (i measure 7 7/8). It's like they are just misproportioned. My previous helmet was an XL and fit fine

Desmond
Desmond HalfDork
3/3/16 11:27 a.m.

I got the same helmet. I ordered according to their sizing chart. Maybe you had bad luck Dietcoke, but my helmet fits perfectly. I was surprised at how comfortable and well thought out it was. I figured since the price was so low, it was probably going to be really cheaply designed/put together. Not the case at all. I was very impressed.

Granted, it wont hold a candle to a top dollar Arai or Stilo.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke Reader
3/3/16 11:39 a.m.
Desmond wrote: I got the same helmet. I ordered according to their sizing chart. Maybe you had bad luck Dietcoke, but my helmet fits perfectly. I was surprised at how comfortable and well thought out it was. I figured since the price was so low, it was probably going to be really cheaply designed/put together. Not the case at all. I was very impressed. Granted, it wont hold a candle to a top dollar Arai or Stilo.

Maybe I just have a funny head. I've heard stranger things. I do like the helmet.

bigev007
bigev007 Reader
3/3/16 11:42 a.m.
Dietcoke wrote: Maybe I just have a funny head. I've heard stranger things. I do like the helmet.

My '10 Pyrotect is a 3X shell with 1x cheekpads. Top of my head's huge (size 9), bottom's not so much. Mixing and matching of pads is sometimes an option.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/3/16 11:47 a.m.

This was probably covered in the article, but what's the skinny on when SCCA et al are going to mandate use of the new helmets?

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
3/3/16 1:47 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Waited until the comparo issue came out. Decided on the RaceQuip PRO15 in Gloss Steel. My last helmet was a G-Force, and I liked it, but the visor screws were fussy and the bottom rubber strip wore out twice, so I decided to switch brands. Thanks for giving us the low down on all of the options (and explaining the updated SA2015 ratings). PS - The place I ordered from can thank the GRM ad for the purchase.

I've been looking at the same helmet. Let me know how it does at venting. My biggest issue with full face helmets has always been the visor fogging. Maybe I'm a mouth breather or something.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/3/16 2:16 p.m.

Totally rock on. I was just thinking that I should order a fresh one, too.

Javelin
3/3/16 2:38 p.m.
Kreb wrote: This was probably covered in the article, but what's the skinny on when SCCA et al are going to mandate use of the new helmets?

It's always the year after the SFI specs are released, which is every 5 years. SA2005 helmets were sold starting in 2005, and were legal through 2015. Starting 2016 they are illegal and only SA2010 and SA2015 are legal. When I bought my SA2005 helmet in 12/05, the SA1995's were illegal going into 2006, and SA2000 and SA2005 were the only legal options.

I only autocross and drag race, so I choose to go with the newest spec and get 10 years out of the helmet. If I did door-to-door racing with a caged vehicle, I would buy a new one every 5.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke Reader
3/3/16 4:30 p.m.
bigev007 wrote:
Dietcoke wrote: Maybe I just have a funny head. I've heard stranger things. I do like the helmet.
My '10 Pyrotect is a 3X shell with 1x cheekpads. Top of my head's huge (size 9), bottom's not so much. Mixing and matching of pads is sometimes an option.

That might be a good solution for me. I'll look into the cheekpads

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/16 5:18 p.m.

I ordered mine the day before I got the magazine. Doh! I probably would have made the same choice though. I got a Bell Sport EV for the larger eye port.

FYI for anyone considering a Bell helmet. The article uses the same picture for both the Sport and the Sport EV. It's a Sport. The actual Sport EV looks like this:

Woody
3/3/16 5:19 p.m.

Bell Sport:

JMcD
JMcD New Reader
3/5/16 3:19 p.m.

Woody - thanks for pointing out the difference between the sport and sport EV. I also noticed that in the mag.

A few suggestions for future helmet articles (based on reading the article and needing to purchase a helmet in 2016):

1. How do the different helmets fit relative to each other? Does one brand tend to run wider or narrower than others?

2. How can I try on a helmet before I buy? Do I need to find a brick and mortar store or will mail order places allow me to send it back if it doesn't fit well?

3. A list of the helmet rules for at least a few of the main organizations (SCCA road racing, SCCA autocross, NASA, etc).

4. How does the weight of each helmet compare?

5. What helmet features do I want for XYZ type of racing? Some folks may want a helmet that can be used in events they do not currently attend. What features would better "future proof" their purchase?

Javelin
3/5/16 3:53 p.m.

My helmet came in and I am very happy. The fit was different than my old G-Force, but it fit well. The sizing chart from Racequip worked, I did buy the correct size. The weight was a little lighter than my old helmet, the viewport was a little larger, and there was a ton more room around the mouth to better facilitate a microphone.

Woody
3/5/16 4:02 p.m.

My new Bell Sport EV is noticeably lighter than my old Bell M2. And I love that the new helmets come pre-drilled for Hans anchors. Drilling my old helmet was really stressful!

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
3/5/16 7:29 p.m.

Excellent list!

Being a four-eyes, the only thing I can think to add is how well they accommodate glasses.

JMcD wrote: Woody - thanks for pointing out the difference between the sport and sport EV. I also noticed that in the mag. A few suggestions for future helmet articles (based on reading the article and needing to purchase a helmet in 2016): 1. How do the different helmets fit relative to each other? Does one brand tend to run wider or narrower than others? 2. How can I try on a helmet before I buy? Do I need to find a brick and mortar store or will mail order places allow me to send it back if it doesn't fit well? 3. A list of the helmet rules for at least a few of the main organizations (SCCA road racing, SCCA autocross, NASA, etc). 4. How does the weight of each helmet compare? 5. What helmet features do I want for XYZ type of racing? Some folks may want a helmet that can be used in events they do not currently attend. What features would better "future proof" their purchase?
Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
3/5/16 11:46 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Kreb wrote: This was probably covered in the article, but what's the skinny on when SCCA et al are going to mandate use of the new helmets?
It's always the year after the SFI specs are released, which is every 5 years. SA2005 helmets were sold starting in 2005, and were legal through 2015. Starting 2016 they are illegal and only SA2010 and SA2015 are legal. When I bought my SA2005 helmet in 12/05, the SA1995's were illegal going into 2006, and SA2000 and SA2005 were the only legal options. I only autocross and drag race, so I choose to go with the newest spec and get 10 years out of the helmet. If I did door-to-door racing with a caged vehicle, I would buy a new one every 5.

Sometimes the SCCA will extend the previous standard helmet another year, which they did this time and last time the standards changed. Supposedly when the new standards come out too late for the manufacturers to make enough new helmets in time.

In any case, the SA2005 is legal in 2016. This is from the SCCA website:

"Crash helmets approved by the Snell Foundation with Snell sticker 2005 or later Special Application (SA2005) (SA2005 will no longer be accepted as of 1/1/2017),"

Dietcoke
Dietcoke Reader
3/6/16 2:20 a.m.
Woody wrote: My new Bell Sport EV is noticeably lighter than my old Bell M2. And I love that the new helmets come pre-drilled for Hans anchors. Drilling my old helmet was really stressful!

It's a requirement for sa2015 helmets now.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wrMPbrEOv0kV3aynULiWwyZVyElpa0pKbSUSwUsVufMtD3hYp53yM8gSWzzoNNqJ