1 2
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/17/20 12:58 p.m.

As the proud new owner of the Zoomboni I think I need a trailer to haul it around in.  As a notoriously frugal lad I never want to pay more than I absolutely have to but could spend a bit if necessary on the right deal (maybe between 3 and 5 K?).  I'll be towing it with a 3/4 ton Suburban and the Zoomboni is an open race car so enclosed seems like the smart choice.  It's 73" wide and 10'4" long.  A bit of extra length wouldn't be terrible to stash extra stuff and occasionally hauling  a different small car (Fiero, BMW, etc).

A trailer that could serve as a rough camper on occasion would make more sense as well.

If you have something you are considering moving along from or if you come across something that you think would be a good fit, post it up.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
4/17/20 4:02 p.m.

Just a quick question; will you be towing the car to places where you needs to stop overnight?? If not just get a car cover and use an open trailer.............cheaper.

4/17/20 4:29 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Good question.  It will also serve as a garage for the car when not in use, and to haul my stump grinder to jobs, and haul furniture for teenagers as they move out and get apartments (which often last a year before moving again).

I predict getting a lot of use out of an enclosed trailer.

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/17/20 4:39 p.m.

What's the old saying, new for open, used for enclosed? You should be able to score a good used enclosed for, what, $4k?

dps214
dps214 Reader
4/17/20 5:26 p.m.
Dave M (Forum Supporter) said:

What's the old saying, new for open, used for enclosed? You should be able to score a good used enclosed for, what, $4k?

Other way around. Enclosed trailers basically don't depreciate. Last year a friend of mine bought a new 20' Pace v nose with heavy duty axles for $6k. Looking at used trailers I couldn't find anything in that configuration in decent condition for less than $4-5k. And even then we're talking 10+ years old and usually an off brand. I'm all about buying as cheap as possible but if it were me I'd have a real hard time justifying that minimal difference. Especially since right now loans are basically free and the dealers might be willing to negotiate more than usual. I have to imagine you can find a 16' or 18' trailer new in your price range. Though if you expect to get a lot of varied use out of it you might not regret springing a bit for a 20', or at least an 18' v nose.

Ditto what dps214 said.

Go big or go home.  I use my 20' for lots of uses.  But when hauling a race car you need room for tires, spares, tools, pit bikes, etc.  "Stuff" will accumulate to use all available space.

imgon
imgon HalfDork
4/17/20 6:28 p.m.

Where you will use it for multiple purposes,  go big or go home. Get a 20' with 10k axles if you want small, 24' if you want comfortable and haul anything.  I have a 20' and my car is 14'. When I bought the trailer I thought 6'of open space was alot, until I pulled the car in. If you are within a reasonable drive of the trailer mfgs you can save the delivery fees and pick up from them.  Buy new, if you find a deal.on a used one buy it now, then  sell it and buy new. I spent 6 months looking for mine, I was determined to save some money. Found a used configured just like I wanted, 1 year old, seemed like a deal. About $1500 cheaper than new off brand, $2500 less than new Haulmark/Carmate. Within weeks was doing repairs, didn't save a penny.

TLDR; Buy new 20 or 24' w/ 10k axles, you will be happy later

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/18/20 6:47 a.m.

A lot of the newer "budget" enclosed trailers aren't as sturdy or well built as a 20yo name brand trailer. 

My race car is small (Corrado) and the 24' trailer is just big enough to be practical. Its flat nose and has cabinets/generator that eats some room but it is stuffed with all my track needs. Rolling tool cart, multiple pop up tents, cooler, etc eat up the last bit of floor space. Thats with maybe 1' between the back of my car and the door. 

You may be able to get away with a 20-22' box with a vnose. Find people local to see how the car fits in their trailers if possible. I went to 24' after putting mine in a 20' and realizing I would need bigger eventually. Once I loaded mine up for the track I was glad I went bigger. 

Around here there are used lawn trailers (Brickmen) made by Haulmark that go for really cheap w 10k gvwr and 20-24' but most are pintle hitch. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/20 8:20 a.m.

My word of advice.  Everyone always says they want the smallest trailer that fits what they need because they don't want a huge trailer taking up storage space.  Then they find that all they do is store it because it's not big enough or it's not heavy duty enough to do what they want safely.

You can get a 3500-lb, single axle, "landscape" type trailer with a wood deck in 12-14' all day for not much money. It weighs 800 lbs, so you can haul that 2700-lb race car.  They're light, cheap, and only have two tires.  That's great until you blow one of those tires and trash the wheel and grind the spring shackles off the axle while watching your trailer swing back and forth and snap half of the tie down straps.  Then you fix it for half as much as you paid for the trailer.

Then you want to buy a project G35, or your best friend snagged a sweet deal on a Volvo.  Can't do it.  Too much length, too much weight.  Or you decided to load up a set of race rubber to go along with you and Zoomboni to the race.  Can't do it.  Too much weight, no space.  Or you're going to a race where a generator and a small toolbox are needed.  Unless you unload the toolbox, heave it up in the 'burb, re-assemble it, it can't go with you.

This is one job where you want just enough overkil.  You don't need a monster, but a proper, tandem-axle, 14-16' trailer is your friend.  You have the tow rig to handle it.  You're also doubling the rubber on the road and potentially doubling the braking (if you have brakes on both axles).  If one tire blows, you might not even notice it until you see chunks flying in your rear view mirror... which sounds like a bad thing, but it means you won't be greeted by your trailer parallel parking itself beside your burb in a ditch.

I've done all sorts of shady E36 M3 towing trailers, but I've also been, uh... rewarded accordingly for my shadiness.

I'm not suggesting you get a 5-ton military flatbed, just that this is one situation where one teeny step up is totally worth it.

4/18/20 8:26 a.m.

I actually have zero trailers right now, mostly because Dad has about 6 ranging from a 4x8 with 8" wheels all the way up to a 22' flatbed with tandem mobile home axles.

In the past, though, I have had all sorts.  I will say that (if you have the tow rig... which you do) an enclosed trailer is REALLY nice.  I had a 30' 10k enclosed trailer with the fold down ramp door for a while.  It had torsion axles... sweet trailer.  I bought it from Brickman landscape for $1300 because the back right corner weld broke where the floor meets the wall.  I just jacked it up tight and welded it back together with a gusset and it was great.  It even had cabinets in it.

Look up Brickman's inventory.  They're almost always selling old trailers and trucks on their website.

4/18/20 8:29 a.m.

Found a pic.  As PaulVR6 mentioned, many of the newer ones are pretty flimsy.  Something like a lansdscape company buys the good stuff.  This one was a Wells Cargo.  Impressive.  You certainly don't need a 30 footer like this, but it was nice.

... as long as you're using it for it's intended purpose.  This one was about 6'6" from the floor to ceiling.  When I wanted to move a tractor with a fixed roll bar, I had to borrow someone else's trailer.

dps214
dps214 Reader
4/18/20 8:49 a.m.

I agree with the concept of "just enough overkill". I wouldn't bother with anything less than 18', but I also wouldn't go beyond 20' v nose unless I can seriously justify needing that extra space. 20' IMO is the happy medium between having plenty of space inside and still being able to fit into most any gas station you want.

wake74
wake74 New Reader
4/18/20 8:56 a.m.

There are definitely bargains out there for us cheap (I prefer frugal) folks.  I picked up this one a couple of years ago, with a WDH system, cameras, leveling jacks, etc.  It's a 20' Pace with the upgraded 5k axles.  If I recall, I paid a bit over $3k for it.  But this is a place where you need to be first in line, and have immediate access to cash.  I just happened to spot it for sale right when it posted, and had a casual relationship through a local club with the owner which may have put me to the front of line.  He had people in line for it within the first few minutes of posting.

It's has now been upgraded with insulation, power, LED lights, epoxy floor, AC / heat, and serves as trailer, sometimes garage spot for the track car (like now with the ongoing TR6 rsetoration taking up too much space), and camper while at the track.  It's not close to as nice as those trailers that people show off on Renslist, but I've got maybe $5,500 in mine as it sets.  This one fits my theme, E36 track rat that was put together with quality components purchased at bargain prices, and my 13 year old tow pig.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/18/20 9:05 a.m.

I've owned over 30 trailers. 

Dissenting voice here. 

You need a 16' enclosed trailer with 7500# axles. It is perfect for what you want, with a little extra room. 

There is a big difference in towing a 16" 7500, and a 20' 10,000.  One takes no effort at all. The other is a constant reminder that you have to be concerned. Adds stress. 

But that means that it actually gets used less. Every time you have to move it you will say, "Do I REALLY need to...". 

Plus, since you are using it as a garage, it will be much too easy to overpack it. You will always be thinking "Just one more thing...", and the darned thing will get so crammed you can't use it effectively. 

I know. I've got a 24' trailer sitting in my back yard right now that has become exactly that. 

If you are serious about wanting to go big, I'll sell my 24' trailer for $4500. New axle, tires, 10K axles, AC on the roof, electric wired interior.

But then I would buy a smaller one. 

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
4/18/20 9:06 a.m.
dps214 said:

Other way around. Enclosed trailers basically don't depreciate. Last year a friend of mine bought a new 20' Pace v nose with heavy duty axles for $6k. Looking at used trailers I couldn't find anything in that configuration in decent condition for less than $4-5k. And even then we're talking 10+ years old and usually an off brand. I'm all about buying as cheap as possible but if it were me I'd have a real hard time justifying that minimal difference. Especially since right now loans are basically free and the dealers might be willing to negotiate more than usual. I have to imagine you can find a 16' or 18' trailer new in your price range. Though if you expect to get a lot of varied use out of it you might not regret springing a bit for a 20', or at least an 18' v nose.

I completely agree with this post.  When I was shopping for an enclosed trailer in 2017-18 I found that the prices for good used enclosed were not much lower than a new one.

dps214
dps214 Reader
4/18/20 9:50 a.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

You're not wrong but I wouldn't go quite that far. 16 would be okay for the zoomboni but any of the other stuff here mentioned is going to be a struggle to put into something that small, get the tongue weight right, and still be able to strap it down. I'd go 18-20 but not any bigger. That's a pretty minor weight increase and still well within the range of working with 7k axles. Most of the towing effort comes from the aero load of pushing a giant box through the air which doesn't really change much with minor length changes.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
4/18/20 10:14 a.m.

In reply to dps214 :

Well, he said occasional use for those others. It would work. 

The reason I said 16 is because there is a big price jump for anything bigger. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/18/20 11:35 a.m.

My plan for 2020 was a trailer purchase, but as they say, plans were made to be changed. I don't need one if there's no events, anyhow.

I'm still following these trailer discussions, because eventually I hope to have use for one again, and the cash available to buy one. I go back and forth on whether to get an open or enclosed trailer, what size, etc.

Storage is going to be an issue, is there a way to calculate the approximate overall length of an 18-20 foot trailer?

jfryjfry (Forum Supporter)
jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/18/20 11:50 a.m.

I have a good solid open trailer I'll sell and put a 1983 Corolla rally car on it at no additional cost. 
just come out to Los Angeles and drive the kit home!

4/18/20 12:00 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

My plan for 2020 was a trailer purchase, but as they say, plans were made to be changed. I don't need one if there's no events, anyhow.

I'm still following these trailer discussions, because eventually I hope to have use for one again, and the cash available to buy one. I go back and forth on whether to get an open or enclosed trailer, what size, etc.

Storage is going to be an issue, is there a way to calculate the approximate overall length of an 18-20 foot trailer?

Yes.  Tape measure  cheeky

Or google the factory specs.  The trailer world can be fickle in how they measure, but usually the advertised length is the length of the deck.  Tongues can be highly variable, but anywhere from 2.5' up to 4' is a good guess.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
4/18/20 12:40 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Umm... 18-20'?? cheeky

An enclosed trailer (or flatbed) is typically measured by the size of the box. A 16' trailer has a 16' box plus the tongue. Tongues can vary, but are usually 4'. 

The catch is used trailers. Sellers sometimes don't know this. They will grab a tape measure and measure a 16' trailer including the tongue, then advertise it as a 20' trailer. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/18/20 1:14 p.m.

I just picked up a year old 6x10 for $2200, about $1100 less than new.

4/18/20 1:17 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

Ugh.  Set up like that I'd buy it.....if it was a 16 footer.  A 24' trailer would look like a tractor trailer parked behind my house.

So yeah, 16' sounds like the sweet spot for me.   JFry is slightly tempting me to drive cross country though......   And I REALLY don't want to drive cross country and back.

4/18/20 4:27 p.m.
dps214
dps214 Reader
4/18/20 4:58 p.m.

That would work for your primary purpose. But at 7' wide putting any non-open wheel car in it is going to be somewhere between very annoying and downright impossible. Also it's 8 years old and a little rough around the edges and as best I can tell about $1500 more gets you a brand new one.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CJ4q30QGpUuqmz3WioGXHXWKidD4U9iJgq7zDdAWoavpIiUwodFtppBUB9GL3ONd