1 2 3
CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
1/14/12 2:53 p.m.
akamcfly wrote: I was thinking a big enough Quonset with power and water to pull a park model camper trailer into. Live in the trailer, play in the quonset... An indoor basketball court - even a half-court would be fun. Maybe make a rink inside in the winter - with overhead lights of course. The ice wouldn't have to be very thick. Pump track? Skate park? Pitch and putt? Small go-kart track? Etc.?

LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE

Amazing ideas/ possibilities

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/12 5:32 p.m.

The curling rink at the end of the block when I grew up was in a Quonset hut. To me, they're perfect for a rink.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
1/14/12 7:36 p.m.

Totally different use, but check out www.visitorkney.com/italianchapel2 - the Brits call them Nissen huts - I've been there twice, utterly amazing workmanship. The Orkneys are a group of islands north of the Scottish mainland, an amazing place to visit.

What you can do with a Quonset hut is limited only by the imagination.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/12 7:46 p.m.
Jim Pettengill wrote: Totally different use, but check out www.visitorkney.com/italianchapel2 - the Brits call them Nissen huts - I've been there twice, utterly amazing workmanship. The Orkneys are a group of islands north of the Scottish mainland, an amazing place to visit. What you can do with a Quonset hut is limited only by the imagination.

That's a very cool story.

Keith
1/17/12 10:23 a.m.
jmc14 wrote: I live in a log cabin on the top of a mountain in the Adirondacks, in NY. I really like the idea of an underground structure. I have blasted a spot for one on my property. It will be my garage. It will be set into the face of a small cliff. A wall of front windows will look over the mountains. It will have a large insulated garage door that can be closed at night to keep warmth in and to shut it up in storms. I will spend my days looking over the mountains and building cars. The loads from buying a structure are very high. A Quonset hut is not engineered to be buried. I really like all things that are out of the ordinary.

I believe the proper term for this sort of structure is a "lair".

porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
1/17/12 10:37 a.m.

My old man wintered over in Antarctica in the 60's. He lived in a Quanset but that was hurried in the snow. The snow acted as insulation. Just be sure to put your boots on the heat register before hitting the rack.

SteelMasterElizabeth
SteelMasterElizabeth None
1/17/12 10:51 a.m.

Hey ya'll -

I stumbled across your conversation about Quonset huts and thought I might jump in.

I work for a company that sells Quonset hut buildings that could work for what you all are trying to do with your buildings.

Check out our website or contact me directly for more information via this forum -

http://www.steelmasterusa.com/products/quonset-hut-history

Elizabeth

pigeon
pigeon SuperDork
1/17/12 11:18 a.m.
Keith wrote:
jmc14 wrote: I live in a log cabin on the top of a mountain in the Adirondacks, in NY. I really like the idea of an underground structure. I have blasted a spot for one on my property. It will be my garage. It will be set into the face of a small cliff. A wall of front windows will look over the mountains. It will have a large insulated garage door that can be closed at night to keep warmth in and to shut it up in storms. I will spend my days looking over the mountains and building cars. The loads from buying a structure are very high. A Quonset hut is not engineered to be buried. I really like all things that are out of the ordinary.
I believe the proper term for this sort of structure is a "lair".

I believe the proper term for this sort of structure is "awesome"

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
1/17/12 12:01 p.m.

So... Where's the price?

jmc14
jmc14 New Reader
1/17/12 4:04 p.m.

Maybe I should make the drive in side of my garage look like a cave opening. Then when I drive out in my car I can pretend that I am a Super Hero. Having fun.

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
1/17/12 4:46 p.m.
jmc14 wrote: Maybe I should make the drive in side of my garage look like a cave opening. Then when I drive out in my car I can pretend that I am a Super Hero. Having fun.

COOL VETTE CONVERSION!!

Keith
1/17/12 5:24 p.m.

That would look 100% appropriate coming out of an underground lair. Do you label absolutely everything in your workshop?

jmc14
jmc14 New Reader
1/17/12 5:33 p.m.

Now that is funny!

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
1/17/12 5:52 p.m.

shotcrete over rebar over quonset n bury?

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
1/17/12 8:19 p.m.

No, shotcrete inside, and insulation. Better thermal bank.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
1/18/12 7:48 p.m.
Graefin10 wrote: In reply to SVreX: Why did you decide not to use it?

Most of our work needs mezzanines (2nd floors). The Quonset hut was purchased at a good price, but every time we consider assembling it our need for vertical walls for storage, etc. over-rides the desire to play with it. Plus, the company has been able to afford the structures it needs, and putting up one that has questionable usefulness for our company would only look weird to our customers.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
1/18/12 7:52 p.m.
Conquest351 wrote:
SVreX wrote: I have a complete 30 x 40 Quonset hut on pallets never been assembled I'd sell pretty cheap.
What's "cheap"?

OK, I've had a few emails.

I am selling it for my boss. He says prices typically sell for $10K- $15K. Asking $7K. That's under $6 per square foot. Includes the plans and assembly instructions.

I'll take offers.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/12 2:31 a.m.

I'll pass that along to my old man. We always could use more storage out here.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
1/19/12 7:42 a.m.

In reply to Luke:

That is brilliant

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BjofjCLckxJojnbaCt5Qk7rchtmlXKMd7Bv048xvMTLqxIwVBLdTowdc7SfUMlHV