1 2
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/17 9:33 p.m.

I was browsing this thread and kind of feel in love lol. 

I've been thinking, once I sell my XJR that I'd get me a clean daily driveable Mercedes w126 or w140 sedan.  But now that I've discovered the e28, maybe a 5 speed version could be thrown in the mix as a possibility. 

Learn me GRM!

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
12/13/17 9:36 p.m.

Stout cars. I'm particularly fond of the 535is.  

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/17 10:35 p.m.

I would love to have one, except for all the rust issues

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
12/14/17 12:06 a.m.

Love the e28... I have a 535is 5 speed. I'm thinking of weather to get rid of it OR my Volvo V70 T5 5 speed to free up some space since I just got a C4 Corvette. But... it's got 345xxx miles on it and still runs. She's a tired old lady.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
12/14/17 12:10 a.m.

I daily a 535i 5spd car I got from Ransom. It is a fantastic vehicle. Find a 5spd, non "e" car. It is quiet and relaxed, has the BMW feel that I enjoy. It drives an awful lot like an e30 just not as high strung.

The M30 is THIRSTY! I get about 14 in town and 20 on the freeway. 

The euro bumpers are expensive.  You WILL want the euro bumpers and will always be disappointed in the us spec diving boards.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
12/14/17 6:09 a.m.

I still miss my 83 533i. The M30 is a wonderful engine: good power, likes to rev, easy to work on, and damn near indestructible. I put a 3.73LSD out of a 325is in mine, which made it quite lively indeed. If you can find a non-rusty one, everything else can be fixed pretty easily.

bugeye1031
bugeye1031
12/14/17 6:47 a.m.

e28's are great.  The rust concern is valid......if you find one, get it up in the air and really look at it....had one that didn't show rust, but it had one random spot directly under the passenger's feet.  Also, if you happen to find one with brake shudder, it could be the A arm bushings.  The originals were weak and the easiest fix was to replace them with bushings from a 7 series. 

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/14/17 7:18 a.m.

I'd also check the classifieds at myE28.com any E28 you buy from an established member there is going to be a loved on vehicle. 

To shamelessly self-promote here, I am getting ready to sell my e28 M5. I haven't posted it for sale yet, I started a valuation thread on mye28.com to try and figure out what to ask for it. 

That thread if you're interested:

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=146166

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/14/17 7:20 a.m.

I've been looking in southern California as that's where I always look lol. What years are the best? And yesss they look best with euro bumpers!

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
12/14/17 7:27 a.m.

Friend of mine had a turbo one. Amazing car until it burned itself to the ground. I don't remember all the details but I believe it was an argument between his fuel system and his turbo setup. Last I heard he was searching for a new one. 

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/14/17 7:45 a.m.

I have nothing to add other than I LOVE me some e28. Also, this thread needs more pics.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
12/14/17 8:07 a.m.

In reply to gunner :

I love E28 M5's.  I really regret not buying one when a good one was $12k or so.

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
12/14/17 8:40 a.m.

I dailyed an 88 535is for about three years and absolutely loved it. The seats and driving position were perfect, tall greenhouse made for great outward visibility. Good power, super reliable. I loved the smell of the leather seats when u opened the door, must be something about German cars from that era. 

I second the advice to get under the car and look carefully for rust - it's sneaky on these cars. 

Good luck!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/14/17 8:45 a.m.

I believe the 535is is the most desirable E28 that is not an ///M5 .  I also believe this was a 2-year variant, '87-'88.   There's one on Detroit CL now that looks pretty decent.   NMNA.

link to E28 535is on Detroit CL

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
12/14/17 9:10 a.m.

There was a non-running 524td in Austin a while back that i thought about going to look at. I waited too long, but i think the ad just expired. I dont think anyone but me wants to have a fight with an antique gutless diesel version of 'the ultimate driving machine'. It may still be there. Wish i had saved the contact info..

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
12/14/17 9:20 a.m.

Vigo - if you remember anything about the ad for the td, there is a website (of course I can't remember the name) that "archives" the internet. Not to be an enabler, but if your Google-fu is strong, you might be able to find an archived version of the ad...

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
12/14/17 9:26 a.m.

Damn are the E28s gorgeous. Honestly much better than an E34 and second to the E39.

I have nothing of value to add other than if you can't find a cheap E28, there's an E34 touring at a local KCMO auction with an opening bid of $500; so far zero bids.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
12/14/17 9:35 a.m.

My daily. Tt looks just like every other E28. Euro grills and lights,  16" BBS, Air dam, H&R Sport springs, E90 drop hats with Bilstien sports. Larger 7 series brakes all around.

The ABS system is crude and the Bentley manual gives zero info on troubleshooting. It would be a "start replacing expensive parts and hope for the best" type of repair.  The climate control system is similar. I could throw another $150 at it and hope it starts working properly but for now I live with the on or off and twidle the knob while I drive.

They are great cars. The best freeway machine I have ever had.  Shockingly reliable for a 32 year old car with 215K miles.

I swapped my destroyed sport seats out for some 80's Porsche 944 turbo seats I had laying around. 

I'm considering offloading this one early next year but I think the PNW is too far away for the OP.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/14/17 9:43 a.m.

I had a white e28 535i on Alpinas.  It was fun, but there are some consistent little BMW glitches to attend to.  

I sold it seperately from the Alpinas.  A couple years later, my buddy said he saw it advertised for sale with a busted transmission for $500.  I told him to buy it immediately.  

Of course it was just the shift linkage...The Getrag 265 5-speed in the 1985s is stout.  He daily drove it for several years with nothing but an occasional intake boot replacement.  

These are good cars and well-supported.  Prices are on the upswing.  Buy a good one now!

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
12/14/17 9:50 a.m.
Tyler H said:

Prices are on the upswing.  Buy a good one now!

Yeah they are. I mean this one is exceptional but I think that final bid surprised everyone.

I am seeing lowly e's sell for more than I anticipate getting for mine.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/14/17 10:12 a.m.
Jumper K Balls said:
Tyler H said:

Prices are on the upswing.  Buy a good one now!

Yeah they are. I mean this one is exceptional but I think that final bid surprised everyone.

I am seeing lowly e's sell for more than I anticipate getting for mine.

Holy crap!  50k for Bronzit!?  Given, it is probably best of breed but dang.  I think <$5k will get a nice 535i 5-speed if you're patient.  But don't be too patient.  I missed a really nice 911 5 years ago because I wouldn't come up from $11.5 to $13k.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/17 11:08 a.m.

An 87 535is was my first car and I still have it! I love it! Right now she's parked till I can afford to refresh the entire suspension, but she's been very reliable. Mine's an auto, but I have a 5-speed that I plan to swap in. I highly recommend the e28, it's classy, looks good, and the m30 is awesome, it sounds wonderful and is a strong engine that runs forever. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/14/17 11:14 a.m.
Jumper K Balls said:

I'm considering offloading this one early next year but I think the PNW is too far away for the OP.

If it has no rust, keep me posted. I’m serious. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/14/17 11:40 a.m.

I love my E28, it's my fun weekend/track car. It's a 1984 525i that was pretty well toast (lots of rust, destroyed suspension) when I bought it for parts car price, it's now setup on coilovers with a fresh suspension, brakes and an M30B34 out of a North American 535i.

If you are shopping there are a few slightly special versions, people have already mentioned the 85 535i with G265 transmission and the 87-88 535is (sport seats, M5 spoilers and bilstiens) but there is also the early production 533i's up to January 84 build date. These had the lightweight flywheel that the M5 got, a supposedly hotter cam along with the lighter weight that makes them a bit special (although the 533i G260/5 transmissions aren't as good as the post 86 on G260/6).

Good luck,  if you want to talk rust I have experience with all of the spots!

Adam

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/14/17 12:10 p.m.

I've had two genuine Euro E28s and am very fond of them. Currently have a German-market '85 535i. I bought both of them for less than $3k. The deals are out there but they are beginning to climb in value, probably thanks to the increasingly exorbitant prices E30s are fetching.

This one is being built up for occasional track duty. Suspension and brakes are already done, engine management is in progress, sourcing a M30B35 in the spring to build up as well.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PLMnNCM6mgJ2xHEPRbXzgLoC15rTmyqwq3jGU2bzANx8fVn2AoyudjvwjdhIxSQ5